Celebrity Now Charging for Eden Cafe "Premium" Sandwiches

Cap_D

7 minutes ago, jelayne said:

These are new additions and a step up from their usual offerings.  I wouldn’t expect a lobster roll or prime rib sandwich to no charge items. 

I think that would be fine as long as they do not also downgrade the free items that have always been around.  That is exactly what they have started doing with the MDR menus.  The selections are very poor compared to what they were prior to them adding all the add on's for a fee.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

These are new additions and a step up from their usual offerings.  I wouldn’t expect a lobster roll or prime rib sandwich to no charge items. 

Agreed.  Don’t know if anyone has noticed how much a lobster roll costs in Maine, on average 25 for a okay one. Seen them higher at places. I travel to Maine every other weekend during summer and fall to Maine.  Not concerned with celebrity trying to add speciality sandwiches.  Problem is more and issue if they take things away which this is not overall it seems.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

I think that would be fine as long as they do not also downgrade the free items that have always been around.  That is exactly what they have started doing with the MDR menus.  The selections are very poor compared to what they were prior to them adding all the add on's for a fee.

I agree.  The Cafe has a small basic menu of soup, sandwiches and salad, good but nothing special I look forward to trying the prime rib sandwich.

• Like 1

Things that they may start charging for 

renting lounge chairs around the pool by the hour.

Up charge for window seats in the dining rooms 

Extra to sit at the Martini Bar that is added onto the drink even with a drink pack. Plus the Extra gratuity.  

Sell raffle tickets to participate in the games and game shows. 

weight people when  getting on the ship and then when leaving and charge per pound of weight gain.   If you lost weight you will be given future cruise credit on a cruise of  Celebrity’s choice.

Gratuities on HH drinks 

Charge for extra luggage over one pp not counting small carry on.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

23 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Agreed.  Don’t know if anyone has noticed how much a lobster roll costs in Maine, on average 25 for a okay one. Seen them higher at places. I travel to Maine every other weekend during summer and fall to Maine.  Not concerned with celebrity trying to add speciality sandwiches.  Problem is more and issue if they take things away which this is not overall it seems.  

Here in MI.   $24.   1/2 lb of lobster on a roll plus choice of side,   The side I chose is glazed Brussels Sprouts.  Excellent. 

Here is their menu and link. The lobster roll is under sandwiches 

https://www.truago.com/full_menu/

Went to Black Rock today for the Steak and lobster special.   I had a nice bowl of Clam Chowder for the soup and a huge baked potato for the side.  It was a 6 0z sirloin and about a 4 oz  lobster tail 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMG_1096.jpeg

IMG_0675.png

Edited by miched

18 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I agree.  The Cafe has a small basic menu of soup, sandwiches and salad, good but nothing special I look forward to trying the prime rib sandwich.

The prime rib sandwich was complimentary at Eden Cafe. If there is now an up charge, this is another example of cost cutting hoping the consumer wouldn’t notice.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Let's play guess what X's next fee will be!  SpaCafe sandwiches?  Cafe al Bacio desserts?  Heck, even Cookiegate 2.0 seems inevitable...

BYO bed linen 🤣

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

The prime rib sandwich was complimentary at Eden Cafe. If there is now an up charge, this is another example of cost cutting hoping the consumer wouldn’t notice.

We have been on all 3 E class ships, total 7 cruises and there was no prime rib sandwich in the Eden  Cafe.  Maybe it was a recent addition?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

This lobster roll looks really good.  The problem is Celebrity’s version even at half the price will never loos as good or taste as good as what is sold in Maine.  

Maine lobster roll at Dog and Pony in Bar Harbor.  For reference that is a pint of beer.    This was in 2016 and the price was $16.   I think it is about $28 now.   Still a better deal than that lobster salad Celebrity puts on their lobster roll. 

Good stuff 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMG_2156.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Let's play guess what X's next fee will be!  SpaCafe sandwiches?  Cafe al Bacio desserts?  Heck, even Cookiegate 2.0 seems inevitable...

I suppose that they will charge to flush the toilets.  🤣🤣🤣

One flush for the Classic package and two flushes for the Premium.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, miched said:

Maine lobster roll at Dog and Pony in Bar Harbor.  For reference that is a pint of beer.    This was in 2016 and the price was $16.   I think it is about $28 now.   Still a better deal than that lobster salad Celebrity puts on their lobster roll. 

Good stuff 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMG_2156.jpeg

That's the superior MAINE lobster with claw meat, since X just says "tails" you would have to imagine it's the same inferior SPINY lobster.  Also, in Bar Harbor, you often can get a soft shell lobster which is even sweeter and juicer.  With that being said, if one doesn't want to go to Maine for lobster, a good backup plan is Red Lobster as they have a tank out front with Maine lobsters that are alive.  They even include their Cheddar Bay Biscuits.  Lastly, for a different treat if you like heat, find one of the Cajun seafood in-a-bag restaurants and get the lobster

image.thumb.png.ce334a337b70981845bd3d681f4187ab.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

So they minimize the MDR menus and then add in for fee sandwiches.  Lovely.  No end in site to the nickel and dime fees.

Not sure what the reduction of the dining room dinner menus have to do with adding options to lunch in the cafe.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

So they minimize the MDR menus and then add in for fee sandwiches.  Lovely.  No end in site to the nickel and dime fees.

There has been an optional up charge lobster roll (The Porch) and a la carte sandwiches (Le Grand Bistro) offered for years

• Like 3

9 hours ago, miched said:

Things that they may start charging for 

renting lounge chairs around the pool by the hour.

Up charge for window seats in the dining rooms 

Extra to sit at the Martini Bar that is added onto the drink even with a drink pack. Plus the Extra gratuity.  

Sell raffle tickets to participate in the games and game shows. 

weight people when  getting on the ship and then when leaving and charge per pound of weight gain.   If you lost weight you will be given future cruise credit on a cruise of  Celebrity’s choice.

Gratuities on HH drinks 

Charge for extra luggage over one pp not counting small carry on.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I just sang along to Master of the House from Les Mis

• Haha 2