Panic over 75+ X-Ray and Dr checkups

10 minutes ago, floridababa said:

Everyone is panicking that they will not be able to be in Australia because of some new law

Seems that everyone is confused.  We have our ETA and seems like that's all we need.

Don't know where the confusion is??

I don't know of any new law that would be relevant. Can you give us some more details?

58 minutes ago, floridababa said:

Everyone is panicking that they will not be able to be in Australia because of some new law

Seems that everyone is confused.  We have our ETA and seems like that's all we need.

Don't know where the confusion is??

For visitors with ETAs, there is not a problem. The new health rule which came in from July 1st I believe is for other visas, not the ETA. 

1 hour ago, buchhalm said:

What does that title of the post have to do with the content of the post itself 

That's easy to work out. Requirements for some sort of visa that OP read about other than ETA perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, buchhalm said:

What does that title of the post have to do with the content of the post itself 

There are details about required medical screening for some types of visas. The way everything is spelt out on the most recent site update is a tad confusing, so I can understand why that is panic stations. I think there was a similar post a month or two back, so it isn't just the OP.

• Like 1

Ok I rang Home Affairs here in Sydney and got a definitive answer - have to say I only had to wait 5 minutes and got through to a human who could answer - I’m in shock 😂

The answer is if you are eligible to apply for a 601 then even over 75 you can still apply online and as you know there is no specific health check or questions asked - the system will process in the background and eventually approve or decline it - so if for some reason the system or processing officer wanted to raise a health question they could but that would be the only issue

Once approved as long as you have answered the questions accurately then if the 601 is granted then you have a valid right to entry to Australia 

Hopefully that resolves it clearly and you can now apply and enjoy your visit to Australia

• Like 1

Apparently there was an article in The Palm Beach Post which interviewed a couple who had a visa to Australia but were denied entry because they were over 75 and they needed a chest Xray to get the visa or entry. Not sure exactly because the article is behind a paywall and won't let me read it.

Obviously typical media hype as they didn't mention that an ETA would suffice without the need for medical examinations.

The Australia ETA is visa subclass 601. My guess is that they applied for a 600 visa or that they have spent time in a country with a high prevalence of TB.

The health examination requirements according to Home Affairs:

"This arrangement applies to applicants for the following visa subclasses, and only if you are already in Australia:

• 403 - Temporary Work International Relations
  • 405 - Investor Retirement
  • 407 - Training
  • 408 - Temporary Activity
  • 417 and 462 - Working Holiday
  • 461 - New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship
  • 462 - Work and Holiday
  • 476 - Skilled Recognised Graduate
  • 482 - Temporary Skill Shortage
  • 485 - Temporary Graduate
  • 500 - Student
  • 590 - Student Guardian
  • 600 - Visitor
  • 870 - Sponsored Parent (Temporary)

This is temporary measure and applies to all eligible temporary visa applications currently with the Department and new applications made in Australia. The Government will review these arrangements in early 2023."

• Like 1

In 2019 my sister a very healthy 79 old and not on any medications had purchased flights to Sydney for a 3 weeks holiday from the UK and applied online for visitors visa ( stays up to 3 months) having done this before with no problems. Much to her surprise she was flagged for X-ray and health check being over 75. This entailed a visit to an Australia House designated only doctor for a full health check and her nearest being in Harley St, London or Southampton. At this point too late to cancel trip she had to travel over 50 miles to endure a ‘stripped down’ medical at a cost that was nearly as expensive as the air fare. At the time she and her daughter (working in solicitors office) checked that medical was really needed re the visitor visa she required and not a mistake

Needless to say my sister will not be making a return trip. I still find it unbelievable that this happened. My sister already had return flights and Travel/ health insurance cover neither taken into account

38 minutes ago, Jean C said:

That's awful, what a dreadful experience and expense 😪

I know it was awful last minute panic especially as the reason was to be with me after family loss.
I think most people would book flights from UK prior to applying for what should be nearly instant approved online visa. I can only suppose they pick out some applicants over 75 years at random for health checks with all costs on applicant. Seems odd but I can think of no other reason.  

11 hours ago, set_sail said:

In 2019 my sister a very healthy 79 old and not on any medications had purchased flights to Sydney for a 3 weeks holiday from the UK and applied online for visitors visa ( stays up to 3 months) having done this before with no problems. Much to her surprise she was flagged for X-ray and health check being over 75. This entailed a visit to an Australia House designated only doctor for a full health check and her nearest being in Harley St, London or Southampton. At this point too late to cancel trip she had to travel over 50 miles to endure a ‘stripped down’ medical at a cost that was nearly as expensive as the air fare. At the time she and her daughter (working in solicitors office) checked that medical was really needed re the visitor visa she required and not a mistake

Needless to say my sister will not be making a return trip. I still find it unbelievable that this happened. My sister already had return flights and Travel/ health insurance cover neither taken into account

Did your sister apply for the ETA (601 Visa), Visitor 600 Visa or the Visitor 651e Visa? The Visitor 651e Visa definitely has health requirements and looking at the list provided above the Visitor 600 Visa does too. The only one that doesn't have health requirements is the ETA (Electronic Travel Authority).

35 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Did your sister apply for the ETA (601 Visa), Visitor 600 Visa or the Visitor 651e Visa? The Visitor 651e Visa definitely has health requirements and looking at the list provided above the Visitor 600 Visa does too. The only one that doesn't have health requirements is the ETA (Electronic Travel Authority).

I’m sure she had applied for the Electronic Travel Authority. When finally issued It only gave her limited holiday stay of 3 months and repeated 3 months visits if she left Australia and returned over the year validity

29 minutes ago, set_sail said:

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

I wonder if she was advised she had to get 651e visa being over 75 despite not needing to as no medical problems to declare. Just read this article written 2015

https://silvertraveladvisor.com/articles/blog-advice-suggestions-and-top-tips-getting-an-australian-visa-for-mature-travellers-with-pre-existing-health-conditions/

Edited by set_sail
Repeated answer

21 minutes ago, set_sail said:

I wonder if she was advised she had to get 651e visa being over 75 despite not needing to as no medical problems to declare. Just read this article written 2015

https://silvertraveladvisor.com/articles/blog-advice-suggestions-and-top-tips-getting-an-australian-visa-for-mature-travellers-with-pre-existing-health-conditions/

The main attraction to a 651 is that is free.

The 601 ETA visa waiver has an admin fee, and I wonder how many are attracted to saving $AU20.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

The main attraction to a 651 is that is free.

The 601 ETA visa waiver has an admin fee, and I wonder how many are attracted to saving $AU20.

Seems that the mystery is solved. If it looks too good to be true, it usually is.

8 hours ago, yarramar said:

Seems that the mystery is solved. If it looks too good to be true, it usually is.

Not exactly. Being over 75 my sister was advised she had to apply for 600e visa (not 651 which I mistakingly referred to in prior post)  That was following trying to get ETA visa. Cost for this 600e visa at the time was $140 plus. Costs will have changed obviously since 2019. Please read link previously posted of article re over 75’s and visa application however no doubt rules and costs have changed since then. 

5 minutes ago, set_sail said:

Not exactly. Being over 75 my sister was advised she had to apply for 600e visa (not 651 which I mistakingly referred to in prior post)  That was following trying to get ETA visa. 

ding ding ding - we have a winner (and new information)….anything other then a 601 is going to get more personal scrutiny