The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday October 2nd, 2023

richwmn

49 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Every day should recognizes custodial workers and farm animals. I have never named a car but when I first owned a Toyota, in the 1970s, I kept a book of Japanese poetry in the glove box.

Not a fan of mac and cheese. NCL offers it as a side dish in its steak restaurant, and just thinking about it gives me nausea. I'll choose Roy's alternative, and I agree with @RedneckBob about the cocktail, which sounds awful. Médoc is in Bordeaux and tends to have gravelly soil, so I'll look at a Bordeaux blend from Keuka Lake: Heron Hill Eclipse Blend. I haven't been to Brisbane.

"1789 George Washington transmits the proposed Constitutional amendments (The United States Bill of Rights) to the States for ratification." Did anyone ever pay the bill or is there still a balance due?

feet.thumb.jpg.084200e10137fa07fec7ee6b1e7a636b.jpg

But I was not talking about the cocktail!  😀

• Like 10

48 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

This will be quick since my phone battery is low.  We are in the ER at UTSW.  Yesterday and this morning his BP was very high.  The meds would bring it down but not for long.  We had the paramedics out.  The BP was coming down but it was decided we needed to come here.  They are running tests.  The ER doctor said he looks good this soon after the surgery.  They want to check for problems in his head though.  He says he feel really bad.  That's all I know.

Lenda

Lenda

Sorry to hear this. Hope things clear up quickly. You and DH are in my thoughts and prayers

Charlene

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

This will be quick since my phone battery is low.  We are in the ER at UTSW.  Yesterday and this morning his BP was very high.  The meds would bring it down but not for long.  We had the paramedics out.  The BP was coming down but it was decided we needed to come here.  They are running tests.  The ER doctor said he looks good this soon after the surgery.  They want to check for problems in his head though.  He says he feel really bad.  That's all I know.

Lenda

Lenda I'm sorry to hear Steve took a turn. 🙏 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Prayers 🙏 for you both.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

Custodians are often underappreciated. I've never named any of my cars. Farm animals are important. I like the quote. I like mac and cheese, although I rarely eat it these days. Pass on the drink, but I'll take the wine. I've been to Australia, but not Brisbane. An important day in history.

It's 78F and sunny out, going up to 81. I'm just back from seeing the Physiatrist. She thinks the pain is a radiculitis, coming from a nerve being affected by all the degenerative changes in my spine. She has referred me to pain medicine, for possible lumbar spine injection with steroid 😧. I'll have to get an appointment for them to assess me. And she wants more core strengthening at PT. Now that I'm home, I really need to mow the lawn, as I didn't feel up to it yesterday. I notice the trees are really starting to turn now, and of course leaving lots of leaves in my yard!

@lindaler Bon Voyage!

@StLouisCruisers Wonderful photos from Brisbane! And thanks for the pictures of Elliott Rose yesterday; I hope you get to see her in person soon. I'm glad to hear there's a little progress with your friend Susan's Scott. Continued prayers for him and her DB.

@grapau27 You're already on my list, but thanks for the reminder.

@rafinmd Your meal looks delicious. I hope you're having a wonderful time.

@smitty34877 Great news about the aide; I hope she turns out to be a keeper!

@aliaschief I wish I could find a good painter here; I have several rooms that need to be painted.

@Haljo1935 I hope you're feeling better soon.

@Heartgrove Great names for your tractors!

@dfish The lamp post looks very nice. I had one put in when I moved here, even though there's a street light right in front of my house.

@cruising sister I'm sorry your asthma is acting up. Cute photos from the cider fest.

@Cruising-along Good luck with the RSV shot. My plan is to get that first, then Covid and flu vaccines late this month.

@1ANGELCAT I hope there's nothing too out of line with your bloodwork. Good luck tomorrow.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Oh no, Lenda. Prayers for Steve that all will be alright after the doctors sort things out.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 9

3 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

The lamp post looks very nice. I had one put in when I moved here, even though there's a street light right in front of my house.

Thanks, Vanessa!   There is a street light in front of the neighbor's house, but that is the only one on the street.  We all have lamp posts in the front yard.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, I am sending you healing thoughts and tons of hugs.  Fingers and toes are all crossed as well.  I hope things get straightened out quickly.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyites and thanks to all who post.   I'm sorry to hear of the health problems; @Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda, hope they figure out your DH's problem and fix it PDQ!  

Horror story from BC - a couple and their dog were killed by a grizzly bear in Banff; they sent a plea for help, but the rangers couldn't get in for hours, and by then it was too late.  This is evidently a dangerous time to be around the bears, they are trying to fatten up for winter, and very aggressive.  

I managed to get us appointments for our Covid shots on the 10th, the very first day they are rolling the new vaccine out.  I hope it's the right one we get.  We'll be able to cancel the reservations we made in Bellingham, but we'll drive down for a day or two anyway.   We should be able to get flu shots any time at the drug store, and I don't know if we have the RSV vaccine in BC.  Have to check into that one.  

We don't name cars, but I remember one of my cousins had an old clunker that he named "Willie", as in "Will he go or won't he?"

• Like 18
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, highscar said:

@kochleffelDH had a minor accident in Austrailia and the clinic needed $600.00 fee to see him.  

To be clear, my question is not about having to pay, or even about how much, but specifically about having to pay in paper money.

I've seen dentists twice abroad, once in England and once in Denmark, in private clinics that took credit cards, but my only brush with a hospital was at A&E (the ER) at St. Thomas's in London, where the NHS doesn't charge anyone for ER treatment. (If I had been admitted to the hospital, I would have been charged.) 

The thread that I'm questioning said that foreign hospitals never accept credit cards. This is a serious question: I really cannot cope with the idea of needing to carry many thousands of dollars in cash.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 10

11 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Horror story from BC - a couple and their dog were killed by a grizzly bear in Banff; they sent a plea for help, but the rangers couldn't get in for hours, and by then it was too late.

One of my colleagues and teachers has written about being chased by a grizzly bear in Alaska. It didn't catch him, but only because he reached a work crew with a truck.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

So you're saying that everyone needs to take $50,000 or $100,000 in cash everywhere? Hospitals in any other country will cost less than in the U.S. but it could still be a lot.

We were in Costa Rica and spent 3 days in hospital. The hospital allowed us to use our debit cards for the bill. Viking paid in full 3 weeks later.

• Like 10

This was a walk in clinic. Even locals had to pay cash. Our charge  was for a test. MRI.   Minor.bank machine would give you the money if need be.  We were given the MRI to take home for our doctors. Excellent service. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

A long time ago, in England, I had to be hospitalized, and Pat had to cash every travellers' cheque we had to get me in (you can tell how long ago it was!), but as soon as the insurance company heard about it they covered the charges, and the hospital returned Pat's cash.  I can't imagine them going that route nowadays.  A credit card has to be good.  I wonder if it would be possible to google hospitals in Spain and see if they take credit cards.  We had friends cruising in Mexico this year and he had a heart attack,  They had to get a few credit cards together to cover the huge hospital charges.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, highscar said:

This was a walk in clinic. Even locals had to pay cash. Our charge  was for a test. MRI.   Minor.bank machine would give you the money if need be.  We were given the MRI to take home for our doctors. Excellent service. 

Lol. We were given exrays, MRI, bloodwork, CT scan etc. Flew home and got to our doctor that afternoon.  When our doctor opened the hospital records they were all in Spanish.... start over!!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Lenda

Praying that Steve’s issue is figured out quickly & eliminated fast!

Breathe deep. 

Ann

• Like 15

Good Afternoon, thanks for today’s daily report.  It’s been a beautiful day here and it would have been nice to be outsiders.  Yesterday I started to clean the windows in my office and make sure they were closed tight for the winter.  One thing lead to another and I did a deep cleaning of the room and finished it up this morning between meetings.  Along the way I was able to purge a few things.  
I’m thinking about cancelling a July cruise and replace it with a B2B that would have us on the Zuiderdam for our 30th anniversary.  
I hope everyone has a good rest of the day.
All the kids in this house seem to think this is true.

image.png.de52660368b6a19e012efa6a34513eb7.png

• Like 14
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

To be clear, my question is not about having to pay, or even about how much, but specifically about having to pay in paper money.

I've seen dentists twice abroad, once in England and once in Denmark, in private clinics that took credit cards, but my only brush with a hospital was at A&E (the ER) at St. Thomas's in London, where the NHS doesn't charge anyone for ER treatment. (If I had been admitted to the hospital, I would have been charged.) 

The thread that I'm questioning said that foreign hospitals never accept credit cards. This is a serious question: I really cannot cope with the idea of needing to carry many thousands of dollars in cash.

52 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

A long time ago, in England, I had to be hospitalized, and Pat had to cash every travellers' cheque we had to get me in (you can tell how long ago it was!), but as soon as the insurance company heard about it they covered the charges, and the hospital returned Pat's cash.  I can't imagine them going that route nowadays.  A credit card has to be good.  I wonder if it would be possible to google hospitals in Spain and see if they take credit cards.  We had friends cruising in Mexico this year and he had a heart attack,  They had to get a few credit cards together to cover the huge hospital charges.  

When I was in France and went to the ER they did not ask for payment.  I never got a bill from them.  Their hospitals have a global budget and no one gets charged in the ER.   In Spain I took a student to Urgencias and they did not ask for payment.  It was explained to us that the hospital is not set up to accept payment.  I think there was a small charge and that was billed to the student at home.  Her parents told me the insurance paid it with no problem.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Lenda, prayers for both you and Steve as the doctors figure out a way to help.🙏  I'm sad to hear he feels really bad.  😢

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Late on Saturday, I hid some questions in the Daily. I would still welcome replies, so here they are, reposted.

I'm finishing up arrangements for Spain and the Spanish Farewell, and I have a question about the train in Spain. I'll be going from Madrid-Barajas airport to Atocha station on the Cercanias commuter rail, and from Madrid to Barcelona on the Iryo high-speed train. For those trips, and the Barcelona metro to my hotel, is the risk of theft enough that I should put locks on my luggage, to the extent that it's possible? Or does that only identify a bag that might contain something worth stealing? I'll also travel between Madrid and Toledo on the high-speed rail, but without luggage.

I was also thinking today about whether using laundry on the Oosterdam would allow packing lighter without having to do hand laundry in Madrid. I've concluded that it wouldn't, because of the number of days before boarding and the need to have something to wear until the laundry comes back. Unfortunately I'll have to take some things that I don't usually carry, such as a bluetooth keyboard.

And an unrelated question: In another forum, people were discussing paying for hospital care abroad. The thread contains some misinformation, such as the statement that no Medigap plan covers foreign treatment, which some plans (C and F that I know of) actually do. But the concerning part is the insistence that foreign hospitals require payment in cash, meaning currency, and won't take credit cards. It is hard for me to imagine traveling with thousands of dollars in cash.

Paul I don't think any of us carry big wads of cash on our trips abroad.  I think credit and debit cards would cover most things.  Then there's the ATM.  Besides if you have travel insurance you would contact them immediately and they generally take care of the charges right then and there.  I'm sure everything will be fine.

As for luggage, I would try to keep the luggage right with me.  Yes, I would always lock the bags.  And for further protection, try getting some air tags to track them.  

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

Custodians are often underappreciated. I've never named any of my cars. Farm animals are important. I like the quote. I like mac and cheese, although I rarely eat it these days. Pass on the drink, but I'll take the wine. I've been to Australia, but not Brisbane. An important day in history.

It's 78F and sunny out, going up to 81. I'm just back from seeing the Physiatrist. She thinks the pain is a radiculitis, coming from a nerve being affected by all the degenerative changes in my spine. She has referred me to pain medicine, for possible lumbar spine injection with steroid 😧. I'll have to get an appointment for them to assess me. And she wants more core strengthening at PT. Now that I'm home, I really need to mow the lawn, as I didn't feel up to it yesterday. I notice the trees are really starting to turn now, and of course leaving lots of leaves in my yard!

@lindaler Bon Voyage!

@StLouisCruisers Wonderful photos from Brisbane! And thanks for the pictures of Elliott Rose yesterday; I hope you get to see her in person soon. I'm glad to hear there's a little progress with your friend Susan's Scott. Continued prayers for him and her DB.

@grapau27 You're already on my list, but thanks for the reminder.

@rafinmd Your meal looks delicious. I hope you're having a wonderful time.

@smitty34877 Great news about the aide; I hope she turns out to be a keeper!

@aliaschief I wish I could find a good painter here; I have several rooms that need to be painted.

@Haljo1935 I hope you're feeling better soon.

@Heartgrove Great names for your tractors!

@dfish The lamp post looks very nice. I had one put in when I moved here, even though there's a street light right in front of my house.

@cruising sister I'm sorry your asthma is acting up. Cute photos from the cider fest.

@Cruising-along Good luck with the RSV shot. My plan is to get that first, then Covid and flu vaccines late this month.

@1ANGELCAT I hope there's nothing too out of line with your bloodwork. Good luck tomorrow.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Oh no, Lenda. Prayers for Steve that all will be alright after the doctors sort things out.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm glad the doctor had some ideas and has referred you to pain management for further investigation.  We want you pain free!  I wish you didn't have to mow the yard while hurting.  Hoping and praying for more answers for you.🙏

• Like 16

Thanks for the replies, and I'm sorry for sounding obstreperous. It's just that the prospect was so alarming.

It seems that the best strategy is to keep a copy of the summary page of my travel insurance with me at all times, and perhaps also to transfer some more money, I hope only temporarily, into the checking account of which I'll be using the debit card.

• Like 12