Filet mignon quality in MDR

Karen450

Has anyone ordered the $19 filet mignonette in the MDR? What are your thoughts on quality and approximate portion size?  When my DH and I eat meat at home it is an occasional treat.  I don’t consider flank steak or sirloin, especially on vacation, a treat.  Thinking of bending the knee to the upcharge.  Thanks in advance for your help. 

3 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Curious, what is Select Dining Plus? We’ve only seen Fixed or Select..this Plus they’re advertising is new, or just to me? 🤷‍♀️

I choose "Select" when booking, so not sure what the Plus is, maybe new fancy wording??

1 hour ago, Tyler414 said:

Can't answer your question, I didn't even notice on my last Beyond cruise in January I had an option to purchase a filet, but I just got this email from Celebrity and this MDR dish looks excellent. 😂

PIC1.png

That is Beef Wellington. Not sure they serve it anymore on Celebrity (for free).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tyler414 said:

Can't answer your question, I didn't even notice on my last Beyond cruise in January I had an option to purchase a filet, but I just got this email from Celebrity and this MDR dish looks excellent. 😂

PIC1.png

used to enjoy this in  mdr..no upcharge!

36 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I, too, am interested in hearing from anyone who has tried an upcharge item in the MDR.  I wouldn’t mind paying for a filet…but it would have to be a true filet and cooked to order…

Especially after the CEO at the webinar stated that the uncharged items allowed guests to enjoy specialty dining options in the MDR.  Are these items indeed comparable to quality offered in Fine Cut, Tuscan Grill? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Karen450 said:

Especially after the CEO at the webinar stated that the uncharged items allowed guests to enjoy specialty dining options in the MDR.  Are these items indeed comparable to quality offered in Fine Cut, Tuscan Grill? 

Meant upcharged not uncharged. (Spell check!) 

only top quality filet mignon that we have gotten in the last year was in the chops restaurant on rccl...It was the best tenderloin(9 oz cut) that we have ever eaten and we were in the business...Quality in the tuscan on celebrity was not near as good and we had to send back the two apps in that restaurant..Celebrity food is not as good as rccl now, breaks my heart to say that, but it is the truth.

3 hours ago, CunucuMom said:

DH ordered the $34.99 MDR surf and turf (lobster tail and filet) on our Equinox sailing last month.  He enjoyed it and the filet was grilled medium rare, as ordered.

Lobster tails and filet were offered for free in the MDR and if you wanted another tail you did receive it. 

54 minutes ago, nanamobo said:

Lobster tails and filet were offered for free in the MDR and if you wanted another tail you did receive it. 

Not anymore. On our 6 night Equinox sailing last month there was no free lobster or filet mignon ANY night in the MDR. The closest thing was flank steak !!!

4 hours ago, CunucuMom said:

DH ordered the $34.99 MDR surf and turf (lobster tail and filet) on our Equinox sailing last month.  He enjoyed it and the filet was grilled medium rare, as ordered.

DH and I just finished cruising on the Equinox (Sept. 16-24), and I ordered the lobster and filet mignon one night:  arrived as ordered and the lobster was a reasonable size and tasty.  (As good as I've had in in some top brand shoreside restaurants.)  On 2 other nights, I ordered only the filet mignon; great both times.  Aside:  except for filet mignon, I am not a steak eater, so having filet 3  out of 8 nights was exceptional for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

That is Beef Wellington. Not sure they serve it anymore on Celebrity (for free).

Two years ago I had it on Apex and it was truly one of the best meals I ever had.  Ordered it again last year on Beyond and it was inedible.  The meat quality was terrible and the taste was not even describable.

Bear in mind, I enjoy good food but I am not overly picky... I will almost always eat what I am given without complaint and usually eat it all.  I left over half this dish untouched it was so bad.  I am not sure what quality of meat they used, but I question if it was even beef.  I heard similar complaints about this dish and other beef dishes from other passengers, so I suspect in their attempts at beefing up profit they sourced very cheap cuts of meat.

12 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

They don't.

Used to be served on lobster night.

No longer on the menu (solstice, last week).

And 2nd lobster tail is same upcharge as other nights. :(

IMG_20230927_171954287.jpg

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

I am also very interested in this topic and would happily pay the up charge of I knew what I was receiving. 

I am looking at the menus for my 9 night sailing next week and not seeing anything too inspiring, a lot served with mashed potato scoop.

All of my sailings post Covid have been on RCCL I where I was very impressed with the food served and would say as good if not better than X pre March 2020. 

22 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

That is not beef wellington  which is a filet. It is beef sirlion en croute. It is available at no extra charge nightly in the mdrs on the edge class. (Normandie exclusive. But available in all 4 mdrs on Edge class)

1 hour ago, bookitdanno said:

That is not beef wellington  which is a filet.

Well if we would like to get technical, beef wellington is actually tenderloin, not a filet. I'll let someone else argue whether the whole beef tenderloin may be sliced into filet mignon,  or if just the tip portion qualifies. Although to me this picture does appear to be beef wellington, as the puff pastry appears to be wrapped around a tenderloin and sliced after cooking, vs the pastry completely surrounding individual cuts. I am not a chef though, so I am sure I will be quickly corrected if wrong. 🤪

Edit: I always assumed the reason most ships menu's list "Filet of beef tenderloin" vs "Filet Mignon" was to address proper description of the cut.

Edited by RedIguana