War in Israel: Island Princess Will Have to Cancel Ports

LACruiser88

26 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I think the upcoming Island Princess port of calls in Israel, in November, will be canceled.  Sad situation.  😪

image.jpeg.b54e0f5723ad6a95272b2a067f613e80.jpeg

We’re on the same cruise and I would expect to hear something from Princess soon. Watching the live coverage, this situation is much larger than in the past. I’d rather not be less than 20 miles from this, but if the Island sails there, we’re going.

• Like 5

We were scheduled to depart on October 16th on the Celebrity Apex for a 10 day cruise including 3 stops in Israel.  Given the events happening before final payment date we chose to cancel.  It's doubtful that they will be able to host cruise passengers any time soon.  Prayers for Israel.

• Like 8

I was booked on a Baltic cruise on Enchanted in mid-April 2022.  We were to go to St. Petersburg for an overnight, as well as Tallin and Helsinki.  Shortly after the Russian invasion of Ukraine in late February 2022, Princess announced that the itinerary wouldn't go to St. Petersburg, but it was almost a month later before the revised itinerary was announced.  We ended up going no further east than Copenhagen, completely missing any ports in the Baltic.

The point is that the revised itinerary wasn't announced until late March, roughly 3 weeks before we were to depart Copenhagen.  So I wouldn't expect any revisions to the itinerary of Island for a couple of weeks at the earliest.  

• Thanks 1

The U.S. State Department always has Israel, The West Bank, and Gaza on heightened alert.  Sad, but such are the geopolitics of the is area of the world.  Any travel here assumes that you will be willing to accept that war and unrest could erupt at any time, which could interrupt your travel plans.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I am on the Island Princess for 28 days Nov 23 and two ports are Israel. Will Princess just avoid those ports or stay away from neighboring countries as well.  What a horrible situation. My best thoughts and wishes go to the Israeli people.

15 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I am on the Island Princess for 28 days Nov 23 and two ports are Israel. Will Princess just avoid those ports or stay away from neighboring countries as well.  What a horrible situation. My best thoughts and wishes go to the Israeli people.

I am sure it is too early to tell.  We were there on the Island the two weeks prior to you in 2022.  Part of one day tours in the Palestine controlled area (Bethlehem).  We did a two-day private tour from the same company (one out of each port).  It was great.  You may not be seeing anything or you may be restricted.  Obviously, you have jumped on this right away.  Things could be back to their version of normal by your trip, but I would begin with thinking those ports are gone.  I bet even Princess doesn't know yet what they are going to do, but I am sure all cruise line execs are on full alert over the situation.

As for neighboring countries, you aren't stopping in any.

Edited by Steelers36

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

The point is that the revised itinerary wasn't announced until late March, roughly 3 weeks before we were to depart Copenhagen.  So I wouldn't expect any revisions to the itinerary of Island for a couple of weeks at the earliest.  

Same with us on Carnival, but there were so many cruise lines scrambling to replace ports where this will hopefully be fewer. We had an extra stop in Sweden and Germany. We had a good time regardless.

• Thanks 1

I am on the Island, Nov 9 Mediterranean & Israel cruise with 2 stops in Israel Nov 15 & 16.

RC has changed their itinerary for their Oct ports to different ports.

Celebrity has changed their Oct ports to an overnight and a different port.

A few years ago, Princess cancelled Israel ports to another ports.

We will have to wait and see what Princess will do if they announce before we sail or while on the ship.

Edited by phabric

4 hours ago, DCThunder said:

I was booked on a Baltic cruise on Enchanted in mid-April 2022.  We were to go to St. Petersburg for an overnight, as well as Tallin and Helsinki.  Shortly after the Russian invasion of Ukraine in late February 2022, Princess announced that the itinerary wouldn't go to St. Petersburg, but it was almost a month later before the revised itinerary was announced.  We ended up going no further east than Copenhagen, completely missing any ports in the Baltic.

Ships now at sea have cancelled and are quickly leaving.  Cyprus or Turkey instead

• Like 1

For the Celebrity October 16th cruise on the Apex the new ports are Mykonos, Santorini, and Rhodes.  Glad we chose to cancel before final payment date.  While those are all lovely ports we've been to all of them already and the premium fare for this cruise doesn't really make those anywhere near an even trade for 3 days in Israel.  Best to be safe but it just seems that Celebrity could have done better with substitute ports.  Praying for peace.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

For the Celebrity October 16th cruise on the Apex the new ports are Mykonos, Santorini, and Rhodes.  Glad we chose to cancel before final payment date.  While those are all lovely ports we've been to all of them already and the premium fare for this cruise doesn't really make those anywhere near an even trade for 3 days in Israel.  Best to be safe but it just seems that Celebrity could have done better with substitute ports.  Praying for peace.

Yeap, I cancelled the HA one before final payment, the one right at Haifa and left quickly.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

Yeap, I cancelled the HA one before final payment, the one right at Haifa and left quickly.

I read about that.  Glad they were able to get out of there with all of their passengers safely back on board!

It is important to read the entire booking contract for your cruise line.  Here is the pertinent language for Celebrity, for example: 

5.4 WHAT ABOUT ADVANCED OR DELAYED SAILINGS AND CHANGES IN THE ITINERARY?
We regret we cannot guarantee that ships will call at every advertised port or follow every part of the advertised itinerary. Itineraries may change from time to time, both before and after your sailing departs. Celebrity Cruises and the Master of the ship have the right to omit or substitute any port(s), call at any additional port(s), vary the order of call for ports, change the time of arrival at, departure from or time spent at any port of call, deviate from the advertised itinerary in any way or substitute another ship. Where possible, you will be advised of any significant changes to your confirmed itinerary before departure – see section 5.5. Changes to the last confirmed itinerary for your cruise may become necessary after you have departed for a variety of reasons such as prevailing weather and sea conditions, guest emergencies, providing assistance to other vessels and the ship being unable to operate at its normal speed(s) due to unexpected mechanical or technical problems. Normally, changes in the itinerary are to protect the interests and safety of our guests. We will of course do our best to avoid any changes that will have a significant detrimental effect on your last confirmed itinerary. However, we cannot accept any
liability in respect of any changes that result from circumstances outside our control (see section 5.10) or which do not have a significant detrimental effect.

Saw this on USA Today website.

"Princess is not stopping in Israel at this time and is adjusting Island Princess’s “Mediterranean and Israel” sailings in November accordingly, a spokesperson said in an email.

“As soon as the itineraries have been updated we will send notifications to affected guests and their travel agents,” the spokesperson said."

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, UT-Volsfan said:

"Princess is not stopping in Israel at this time and is adjusting Island Princess’s “Mediterranean and Israel” sailings in November accordingly, a spokesperson said in an email.

“As soon as the itineraries have been updated we will send notifications to affected guests and their travel agents,” the spokesperson said."

Thanks for posting. I am on Nov 9-23 Med & Israel cruise.  It is just when they were going to change ports and post new ports.

14 hours ago, UT-Volsfan said:

That's more information then I could get out of customer service when I called.

My best wishes go to Israel

• Like 2