Live From The Sapphire Princess October 15, 2023 R/T to Hawaii

Woobstr112G

An early good morning from Northern Arizona. Well as expected, I got very little sleep on kickoff day we don’t leave until 8 o’clock but I am wide awake. I guess I am raring to go to get this party started. I can’t wait to get on the road…..

Bob

• Like 9

Bon Voyage @Woobstr112G.

Our very first Princess cruise was the Los Angele-Hawaii round tripper in 2011 on the (drumroll) Sapphire Princess.  The decision to take this cruise was pretty impulsive.  We were recently retired, and the last cruise we had taken was over seven years prior.  We used a travel agency to book the cruise.  Sitting across the agent's desk we were, pretty much, answering questions on the fly.  When the question of what cabin came up, all we really knew was that we wanted a balcony cabin.  There wasn't really much of a selection for us to consider, and the agent did a great job of helping out by assuring us that all cabins on the Sapphire Princess take the same itinerary.

Done. 

We booked cabin A201.  When we first walked into it, Mrs. XBGuy exclaimed, "Wow.  It's so big."

We had a great cruise and have booked A201 on various Princess (Grand Class) ships since then.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

An early good morning from Northern Arizona. Well as expected, I got very little sleep on kickoff day we don’t leave until 8 o’clock but I am wide awake. I guess I am raring to go to get this party started. I can’t wait to get on the road…..

Bob

Oh Bob.  You are so predictable.   LOL   You do the same thing everytime you go on a cruise.

I bet you are half way to Los Angeles by now.     Hope Holly isn't a back seat driver.   😄

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 5:36 PM, tntfox said:

Do you recall if the shower has a grab bar? 

We've been in all categories of cabins...handicap, mini suite, inside, OV, balcony and one suite. They all had a grab bar. Pretty sure it's a safety thing. It would increase the med. center calls, if during rough seas people were taking showers...OOPS! Down you go.🤕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bob…happy to know that you & Holli are enjoying your hard earned retirement.

It’s very disappointing that you won’t be going to Maui docking in Kahului…the island’s economy is taking a hard hit & needs tourism to recover. 

NCL’s Pride of America stopped Maui visits for several weeks but have resumed stops to help the local economy. That’s sad that Princess continues to avoid Maui & to not help with the island’s economic recovery.

Buon Viaggio!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good evening from San Pedro Ca. Holli & I are all settled in at the Doubletree. The drive getting hear was brutal (Once we got on the 91 Fwy). It was a virtual parking lot from the 60 until we got to the 110 fwy. Those of you familiar with So Cal freeways know what I’m talking about.For dinner tonight, we ate in the hotel restaurant. We both enjoyed our respective selections. service was also very good. 

As far as the Doubletree goes, it’s a nice hotel. We’ve stayed here before (last time was 2018). The rooms are a tad dated but I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to someone looking for a nice pre cruise stay. The one thing they no longer have (post Covid) is room service. Our dinner waiter did tell us there are plans to bring room service back. 

Not much on tap for tomorrow. I’ll probably get up early and walk around the Marina taking a bunch of pictures. After breakfast, I need to make a CVS run to pick up a prescription that Holli forgot to pack. Our dinner plans will be dining at our favorite local restaurant (22nd Street Landing). 

That’s all for now as the drive did me in and I’m pretty tired. 

Hope all are well…..

Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not very far from you, especially if the red trolley is running. 

https://craftedportla.com/crafted-marketplace/#all

Also the Korean Bell and/or the sea life wild center. 
https://marinemammalcare.org/

or…

Point Fermin Lighthouse

Point Vicente Interpretive Center to watch whales

https://www.rpvca.gov/1204/Visit-Point-Vicente-Interpretive-Center

Cabrillo Aquarium

Enjoy your voyage. One of my favorites 

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Thanks 1

Aloha. Have been blessed to divide our time between NY and Honolulu since 2008. We have also cruised around the islands and also the mainland as are you and to the South Pacific. Truly magical voyages and Princess is wonderful. Please keep us posted and of course as I always respectfully request take food pictures lol! Enjoy.

• Like 1

Good morning from the Hilton Double Tree in San Pedro Ca. Holli is catching up on her sleep while I’m getting ready to have breakfast in the hotel restaurant. After breakfast I’m going to walk around the marina and take a bunch of pictures. 

I was hoping to see the Discovery sail in earlier this morning but alas, I missed it. The Discovery is sailing today on a seven day Mexican Riviera itinerary. 

Well, that’s all for now. Hope all are well…..

Bob

8749E317-8AB8-41DE-8B29-9C2A71D0DF12.thumb.jpeg.e39c7dc3cdb29e2447ae9ede89d5b6ee.jpeg

PS. First time ever trying Avocado Toast. It was quite tasty…..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Good morning from the Hilton Double Tree in San Pedro Ca. Holli is catching up on her sleep while I’m getting ready to have breakfast in the hotel restaurant. After breakfast I’m going to walk around the marina and take a bunch of pictures. 

I was hoping to see the Discovery sail in earlier this morning but alas, I missed it. The Discovery is sailing today on a seven day Mexican Riviera itinerary. 

Bob

8749E317-8AB8-41DE-8B29-9C2A71D0DF12.thumb.jpeg.e39c7dc3cdb29e2447ae9ede89d5b6ee.jpeg

There are mixed reviews on the avocado toast aboard the ships. Usually available either at Slice or the I.C.

20 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Good evening from San Pedro Ca. Holli & I are all settled in at the Doubletree. The drive getting hear was brutal (Once we got on the 91 Fwy). It was a virtual parking lot from the 60 until we got to the 110 fwy. Those of you familiar with So Cal freeways know what I’m talking about.For dinner tonight, we ate in the hotel restaurant. We both enjoyed our respective selections. service was also very good. 

As far as the Doubletree goes, it’s a nice hotel. We’ve stayed here before (last time was 2018). The rooms are a tad dated but I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to someone looking for a nice pre cruise stay. The one thing they no longer have (post Covid) is room service. Our dinner waiter did tell us there are plans to bring room service back. 

Not much on tap for tomorrow. I’ll probably get up early and walk around the Marina taking a bunch of pictures. After breakfast, I need to make a CVS run to pick up a prescription that Holli forgot to pack. Our dinner plans will be dining at our favorite local restaurant (22nd Street Landing). 

That’s all for now as the drive did me in and I’m pretty tired. 

Hope all are well…..

Bob

I think you have been away from S. CA. too long to remember how bad Friday night traffic can be.

12 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Bob

We are at the Crowne Plaza and watch the Discovery leave today from our hotel room window. Might see the Sapphire come in if I’m up early enough 

• Like 1

A very early good morning (0421pst) from San Pedro Ca.  EMBARKATION day is here. As expected, I didn't get much sleep. I woke up at 0400 and that was it. I absolutely cannot wait for this wonderful cruise vacation to begin. 

Last night for dinner we dined at the 22nd Street Landing restaurant. Service was excellent. I had a fillet that was outstanding. Holli had the lobster which unfortunately was very tough and chewy. Our waiter apologized and said since Holli had ordered the last lobster they had, the entree would be taken off our bill. We also received complimentary desert with our meal. I consider the issue with Holli's entree a minor hiccup and would still highly recommend the restaurant. I posted menu pictures below so anyone interested could see current offerings along with prices. Sorry about the quality of the pcitures. 

At 0700 I plan to avail myself of breakfast in the hotel restaurant. After that I'll get Holli up and we will ready ourselves for our 1030 shuttle ride to the port which is a very short distance away from the motel.

That's all fr  now. Hope all are well.....

Bob

IMG_2018.thumb.jpg.0303829db80588f5b711ef884d0d0f21.jpgIMG_2019.thumb.jpg.835ed64f258f6d6efe55f02a5d6fa550.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CruisinLow said:

I think you have been away from S. CA. too long to remember how bad Friday night traffic can be.

Lol Ann. I think it's more of I'm glad I'm gone from SoCal because of the Friday rush hour traffic.....😁😁😁

Bob 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, crusdiva said:

Love that you are planning to post live! Wishing you and Holli a fabulous cruise.

Fair winds and following seas my friend.

Sharon;

Thank you for the good thoughts. Nice to see you checking in. Hope you and Bruce are doing well.....

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks, cr8tiv1 for suggestions on what to do in Kona, Kauai and San Pedro.  After so many times staying in San Pedro before our cruises, I never knew about the Marine Mammal Care Center.  Sounds like a wonderful place to spend a morning before getting on the ship.  I'm thinking of an Uber to get there if we fly?

• Like 1

IMG_2021.thumb.jpeg.fc91036061405c0b826ad5ce622ea84e.jpeg

Good afternoon all from the Sapphire Princess. We’ve been onboard for about an hour and a half. Embarkation was a breeze as it only took about 20 minutes from walking into the terminal to being onboard the ship. When we boarded, we were able to go straight to our cabin. 

As you can see, we are tied up adjacent to the USS Iowa. It’s a pretty impressive to stand out on the balcony and look at her. 

We are going to skip going out for dinner tonight. We’ll probably order something delivered as Holli’s back is not cooperating so I want her to rest up. 

Initial impressions of the Sapphire are quite good. She is aging gracefully. Crew also seems very pleasant. 

Our sail away is at 1500. Can’t wait for it. I absolutely love sail away out of San Pedro.

Thats all for now. Hope all are well…..

Bob

• Like 7