Live From The Sapphire Princess October 15, 2023 R/T to Hawaii

Woobstr112G

15 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

We are on board as well and so far I have to say that we aren’t impressed. Going to keep an open mind though and hope tomorrow is a better day!

Can you be more specific and say what you are not satisfied with?  Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

We are going to skip going out for dinner tonight. We’ll probably order something delivered as Holli’s back is not cooperating so I want her to rest up. 

Was just on the Sapphire. We really enjoyed it. We twice ordered the grilled cheese on multigrain bread (kids menu area of the app) with potato chips, and cole slaw, and Caesar salad with anchovies, a fruit side (small cup of diced fruit), and double wines each and it was a lovely, quick, predictable basic meal. I mention it in case you didn’t think to look at the kids menu. Enjoy, and thanks for posting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1emerald1 said:

Can you be more specific and say what you are not satisfied with?  Thanks.

So far we have had to get our picture taken 3 times to board even though we already have one in our profile. We have never had an issue with our pictures before. Had to watch the muster drill 3 times. Watched it on my phone and they said my husband had to watch it, even though we watched it together. We were told to watch it in our cabin. He did and that still didn’t pass. He ended up having to download the app so he could watch it there. Unless we missed something, the buffet is very small and reminds me of a hospital cafeteria. Not much choice for salad bar. I’m also gluten free and asked for gluten free bread. I was told that they don’t have any. Just a frustrating first day. As I said, keeping an open mind and hoping it gets better tonight and tomorrow.

• Thanks 2

@Purplsmurf  I do hope your cruise improves.  You are onboard.  Yay.

I've had my photo taken (for security) several times.  It all depends who is manning the camera.  No one outside of those checking you off and on does it matter.

I can understand why the powers to be said that your husband had to watch the video again. It was on YOUR phone, under YOUR account.  Did you change the person watching the video in your cabin?  You had to select your husband's account for it to register.  It worked when he watched it on his phone because it was now registered to him.  I can understand your frustration.  Happened to my cabin mate too.  She finally gave up and didn't bother to watch it for a 4th time.  She was cleared.  

You must be used to the Royal Class ships or other cruise lines.  Grand Class/GEM Class ships have never been known for elaborate buffets.  Adequate, but I don't frequent the buffet often.  Make friends with those in the IC and the MDR.  They will provide you with Gluten Free pastry.  I'm sure if you spoke to the Assistant Maitre d' (who is in charge of anything on the Lido Deck, room service, and other venues), he might be able to provide you with some assistance.  

• Like 3

A very early good morning (0450) from the Sapphire Princess. Today begins day one of four sea days as we head to Hilo Hawaii. I'm up quite early due to the combined issues of going to bed early and getting an hour back due to the first of three time changes traveling west.  So now I'm just sitting in the International Cafe with my trusty Macbook pro an a double shot Americano. 

IMG_2027.thumb.jpg.35fb9a0417a7f74c9154668f9d2b5a64.jpg

One interesting tidbit about the IC is they are no longer offering large cups when you order a hot beverage drink. I asked the barista about this and he told me this all they were getting with their supplies. The above picture is what is available. One side note is I ordered an Americano last night in my cabin and I received a large cup.

For dinner last night we decided to stay in the cabin and had some munchies from room service. t was nice to just kickback and enjoy our cabin and absolutely hugh GS balcony. One quick note about our cabin, for those familiar with the Grand Suite. The "Cocoon" like teak wood balcony (off the bedroom) is no more. It's just white metal walls. Obviously not a deal breaker but I just wanted to mention it. 

Tonight is our first of four formal nights. This afternoon Holli has a hair appointment and I plan to break out my suit to see how wrinkled it got during transportation to the ship. Boy, I sure do miss Cruiselineformalwear and having a tux waiting for me in the cabin when we board. For dining, we are going to do Sabatinis tonight.

Today's entertainment offerings are the usual trivia and seminars throughout the morning and early afternoon. "The movie "80 for Brady" is playing on MUTS at 1500. At 1700 the Chargers & Cowboys will be broadcast on MUTS as well. Vangellis Tzatsos (Acoustic guitar/vocals) will be performing in the Wheelhouse at 1915. Bravo is the production show tonight and will be in the Princess theater at 1930 and 2130. The ship's band Gravity will be in the Piazza at 2015. Andy Morris (Piano/Vocals) will be in Crooners at 2100 & 2300. Lastly the evening movie on MUTS will be Ant Man & Wasp Quanturmania at 2100.

That's all for now. Hope all are well.....

Bob

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@Purplsmurf  I do hope your cruise improves.  You are onboard.  Yay.

I've had my photo taken (for security) several times.  It all depends who is manning the camera.  No one outside of those checking you off and on does it matter.

I can understand why the powers to be said that your husband had to watch the video again. It was on YOUR phone, under YOUR account.  Did you change the person watching the video in your cabin?  You had to select your husband's account for it to register.  It worked when he watched it on his phone because it was now registered to him.  I can understand your frustration.  Happened to my cabin mate too.  She finally gave up and didn't bother to watch it for a 4th time.  She was cleared.  

You must be used to the Royal Class ships or other cruise lines.  Grand Class/GEM Class ships have never been known for elaborate buffets.  Adequate, but I don't frequent the buffet often.  Make friends with those in the IC and the MDR.  They will provide you with Gluten Free pastry.  I'm sure if you spoke to the Assistant Maitre d' (who is in charge of anything on the Lido Deck, room service, and other venues), he might be able to provide you with some assistance.  

Yes,  I did not see an option to to indicate both watching the video on the same mobile device. We each had to use our own device while logged into the app. Not a big deal. We thought check in was a breeze.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

Yes,  I did not see an option to to indicate both watching the video on the same mobile device. We each had to use our own device while logged into the app. Not a big deal. We thought check in was a breeze.

We watched the video in our cabin with no issues.....

Bob

• Like 3

On one cruise, we thought we would do muster checkin a little later but well before sail away.  We finally found the area but no muster crew were there.  Once back in a cabin after the evening show, we tried the tv, it only showed the muster information.  I called to Guest Services, he told me you did not do muster check in.  I told him what happen and he changed the tv.

58 minutes ago, Woobstr112G said:

A very early good morning (0450) from the Sapphire Princess. Today begins day one of four sea days as we head to Hilo Hawaii. I'm up quite early due to the combined issues of going to bed early and getting an hour back due to the first of three time changes traveling west.  So now I'm just sitting in the International Cafe with my trusty Macbook pro an a double shot Americano. 

IMG_2027.thumb.jpg.35fb9a0417a7f74c9154668f9d2b5a64.jpg

One interesting tidbit about the IC is they are no longer offering large cups when you order a hot beverage drink. I asked the barista about this and he told me this all they were getting with their supplies. The above picture is what is available. One side note is I ordered an Americano last night in my cabin and I received a large cup.

For dinner last night we decided to stay in the cabin and had some munchies from room service. t was nice to just kickback and enjoy our cabin and absolutely hugh GS balcony. One quick note about our cabin, for those familiar with the Grand Suite. The "Cocoon" like teak wood balcony (off the bedroom) is no more. It's just white metal walls. Obviously not a deal breaker but I just wanted to mention it. 

Tonight is our first of four formal nights. This afternoon Holli has a hair appointment and I plan to break out my suit to see how wrinkled it got during transportation to the ship. Boy, I sure do miss Cruiselineformalwear and having a tux waiting for me in the cabin when we board. For dining, we are going to do Sabatinis tonight.

Today's entertainment offerings are the usual trivia and seminars throughout the morning and early afternoon. "The movie "80 for Brady" is playing on MUTS at 1500. At 1700 the Chargers & Cowboys will be broadcast on MUTS as well. Vangellis Tzatsos (Acoustic guitar/vocals) will be performing in the Wheelhouse at 1915. Bravo is the production show tonight and will be in the Princess theater at 1930 and 2130. The ship's band Gravity will be in the Piazza at 2015. Andy Morris (Piano/Vocals) will be in Crooners at 2100 & 2300. Lastly the evening movie on MUTS will be Ant Man & Wasp Quanturmania at 2100.

That's all for now. Hope all are well.....

Bob

48 minutes ago, Woobstr112G said:

Here are the ship's senior officers.

IMG_2026.thumb.jpg.762e7ae8e4084237c44e21d3e9165344.jpg

Bob

We are on the Sapphire for the 32 day LA-Tahiti cruise after yours so thank you for all of the info.

We got an email from Princess saying DuVaul Gamble is our cruise director (unless that was just a generic email sent to all future Princess cruisers).

Anyways, I'm curious how many crew changes there will be. Mario Propato is a wonderful Maitre D' so I hope he stays!

I think we might be next door to your cabin (C753) .

Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Mario is scheduled to go home after the current cruise.

Ha ha! We were on the Sapphire in January of this year with both Captain McBain and Mario. Mario said at that time he was retiring after one more cruise on the Sapphire. I guess plans change ... I did hear that Mario is the longest serving employee of Princess and I believe it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Ha ha! We were on the Sapphire in January of this year with both Captain McBain and Mario. Mario said at that time he was retiring after one more cruise on the Sapphire. I guess plans change ... I did hear that Mario is the longest serving employee of Princess and I believe it.

I spoke to Mario a few days ago.  He'll keep cruising for as long as they let him!

• Like 5

Thank you so much for doing this live! We are experienced cruisers but had our first Princess cruise scheduled on the Majestic this December but, unfortunately, had to cancel due to some health issues. We hope to reschedule for this spring! Can't wait to hear about your and Holli's experiences onboard as we've never done a trans-Pacific. 😊

• Thanks 1

Finally someone in a suite doing a live,  Do you have a beverage package?  You mentioned ordering from room service on the first night.  

Would you get clarification….

Will suite passengers be charged $5 for picking up the phone to order room service meals from the MDR and/or tea service (a suite perk),  

Thank you.