Going rate per bag for Porters?

Truluv

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

And definitely California.

I assumed so as well, just didn’t have the experience.  

At most, if not all, of the major ports in the US, you can’t step foot on the docks without a union card. It doesn’t matter if you are a crane operator, truck driver, or janitor. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I assumed so as well, just didn’t have the experience.  

At most, if not all, of the major ports in the US, you can’t step foot on the docks without a union card. It doesn’t matter if you are a crane operator, truck driver, or janitor. 

Not every person with a union card is a longshoreman .

53 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not every person with a union card is a longshoreman .

BUT they are being paid UNION wages and benefits, and are NOT a tipped position (at least as far as I am concerned)

Anyone that gets a collectively bargained salary, health and dental benefits, paid vacation, and a pension; does not get a tip from me

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

BUT they are being paid UNION wages and benefits, and are NOT a tipped position (at least as far as I am concerned)

Anyone that gets a collectively bargained salary, health and dental benefits, paid vacation, and a pension; does not get a tip from me

Therefore ,I assume that you never tip a Waitress or Waiter in a restaurant who could be a union member.

I know for a fact that on occasion there have been members of construction workers unions working at the Manhattan cruise port to supplement their income on Sundays.They were salaried for the day but did not receive additional benefits.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Therefore ,I assume that you never tip a Waitress or Waiter in a restaurant who could be a union member.

I know for a fact that on occasion there have been members of construction workers unions working at the Manhattan cruise port to supplement their income on Sundays.They were salaried for the day but did not receive additional benefits.

But are still union, with all the benefits that go with it.  NOT GETTING TIPPED by me

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Funny the I.L.A Local 1588, Bayonne, New Jersey thinks they do.

I have no idea what that is but the last time I cruised from Bayonne I was in a wheelchair and a Porter was taking my bags no my wife’s to our car.

We got into a conversation about his working there and he said that he was not a union member .Could he not have been telling me the truth ,possibly.However,on a cruise from Manhattan a few years before the Baggage Handler at the port had an ID .His rather unusual last name was the same as a guy I worked with 25 years prior and I inquired if he was possibly related.The guy was his father .The guy I was talking to was a school teacher working occasional Sundays at the port and not a Longshorenan .

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have no idea what that is but the last time I cruised from Bayonne I was in a wheelchair and a Porter was taking my bags no my wife’s to our car.

We got into a conversation about his working there and he said that he was not a union member .Could he not have been telling me the truth ,possibly.However,on a cruise from Manhattan a few years before the Baggage Handler at the port had an ID .His rather unusual last name was the same as a guy I worked with 25 years prior and I inquired if he was possibly related.The guy was his father .The guy I was talking to was a school teacher working occasional Sundays at the port and not a Longshorenan .

I went back and read the OP.  It's about porters, and everyone including me, thought this was the person at the curb putting your bags on the cart at embarkation.

For me, porters are the guys helping get your luggage to your car at the end of the cruise.

Porters on debarkation get $1/bag from me—usually, a minimum of $5 total only because I'm usually out of $1 bills.

These guys are helping me, thus a gratuity,

1 hour ago, steveru621 said:

I went back and read the OP.  It's about porters, and everyone including me, thought this was the person at the curb putting your bags on the cart at embarkation.

For me, porters are the guys helping get your luggage to your car at the end of the cruise.

Porters on debarkation get $1/bag from me—usually, a minimum of $5 total only because I'm usually out of $1 bills.

These guys are helping me, thus a gratuity,

I gave $5 a bag to the people at the port putting the luggage on the ship.

We always had a maximum of 2 suitcases and gave the Porter bringing the suitcases to the car $10.00.When I was physically able I brought my own luggage to the car.

My definition is that the Porter takes luggage to one’s car and the Baggage Handler brings the luggage to the ship.

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I gave $5 a bag to the people at the port putting the luggage on the ship.

Be aware that the people you tip do not put the luggage on the ship.  They move it all of about 10 feet onto a cart that is then taken away by somebody else to be put on the ship.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Be aware that the people you tip do not put the luggage on the ship.  They move it all of about 10 feet onto a cart that is then taken away by somebody else to be put on the ship.

My days of cruising are over .My points of reference were solely about the past.I wish everyone happpy cruising .

On 10/12/2023 at 8:05 PM, Tatka said:

Why? They are paid very low and this is a good source of income.

If they’re unionized they definitely are not paid low wages. They probably make more than a lot of cruisers.

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2023 at 11:40 PM, shofer said:

We sailed out of Miami for the first time in Jan. 2022 for our Symphony cruise.  After 15 cruises, it was the first time I was actually told by a porter that if I didn't tip, my bag might get lost.  I was struck dumb and just pointed to my husband who hadn't heard the veiled threat.  He gave the guy two fivers which made the porter very happy.

We had done a TransAtlantic out of Southampton and the porters were so polite and patient. I have to say, we never had any issue in Ft. Lauderdale.

I would have immediately have gotten his supervisor. 

• Thanks 1