Going rate per bag for Porters?

Truluv

On 10/15/2023 at 1:11 AM, lenquixote66 said:

Not all baggage handlers are longshoremen .

Which ones in the US are not longshoremen that handle cruise ship luggage?

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jt4428 said:

Do your bags make it to your cabin? Lol

We tip $0.00 and our bags always make it. Tons of people don’t tip and their bags make it. 

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Therefore ,I assume that you never tip a Waitress or Waiter in a restaurant who could be a union member.

I know for a fact that on occasion there have been members of construction workers unions working at the Manhattan cruise port to supplement their income on Sundays.They were salaried for the day but did not receive additional benefits.

Why would they receive additional benefits when they are working on a part time job (part time to them)? You said they are members of construction workers unions, therefor that is where their benefits come from and not from a part time job. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

We tip $0.00 and our bags always make it. Tons of people don’t tip and their bags make it. 

Why would they receive additional benefits when they are working on a part time job (part time to them)? You said they are members of construction workers unions, therefor that is where their benefits come from and not from a part time job. 

I was responding to the individual who stated that the baggage handlers receive other benefits.In the instance I cited they do not nor do they need to because they receive benefits from their primary job.

I still remember my first cruise - I was first at the port so that I could be first in line to get into the NCL Vibe club.  Not really quite sure of the process, I handed my bag and case of water (because that was still a thing back then) to the porter, and in an ominous, gravelly voice, he said, "And do you have a present for the bag man?"  I interpreted his tone of voice to mean that something might, you know, "happen" to my bags if I did not give him 2$ a bag.

I did a simple google search for https://www.google.com/search?q=are+cruise+ship+porters+unionized+in+florida+2023&sca_esv=573847129&rlz=1C1ONGR_enUS978US978&ei=nZEtZYXoGK2n5NoP0emf4As&oq=are+cruise+ship+porters+unionized+in+florida&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiLGFyZSBjcnVpc2Ugc2hpcCBwb3J0ZXJzIHVuaW9uaXplZCBpbiBmbG9yaWRhKgIIADIFECEYoAFI1yBQzARYpw9wAXgAkAEAmAG3AaABqAuqAQM1Lje4AQPIAQD4AQHCAgsQABiKBRiGAxiwA8ICCBAhGBYYHhgdwgIFECEYqwLCAgUQIRiSA-IDBBgBIEGIBgGQBgI&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

That is the link to my google search.  The first article is regarding Port Canaveral in Florida.  You can scroll to about the middle of the article and there is a breakdown of the salaries for the union employees.  The first two are Cruise Operations staff A and B.  I am not sure which the porters fall into if any but you can see the salary for A is $16.50 and B is $19.00 per hour.  There are others on the list that earn a much higher salary but they are crane operators not porters.  

And now this is just my opinion but we tip between $5.00 and $10.00 a bag depending on how much my wife is packing.  We do not usually have to fly to ports so my wife tends to over pack but hey we are on vacation.  So I tend to give a little more than maybe I should.  I am not tipping to help my bag stay safe or get there sooner.  I am tipping the porter because I appreciate his/her help.  Tipping is subjective and I also spent my younger years in the service industry so I tend to be an over tipper, but I appreciate good service and feel people should be rewarded for their efforts. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Fishfan0073 said:

The first two are Cruise Operations staff A and B.  I am not sure which the porters fall into if any...

Looking at the job descriptions for those two jobs, it doesn't look like either one includes porters:

https://www.salary.com/job/canaveral-port-authority/cruise-operations-associate-a-full-time/j202204060416594708098

https://www.salary.com/job/canaveral-port-authority/cruise-operations-associate-b-full-time/j202209140116102505623

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I am still going down the rabbit hole and am determined to find something 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fishfan0073 said:

According to ZipRecuiter Florida ranks 48 out of 50 for salaries and the average is $12.71 per hour.  So if this is true please tip your porter as this is not a wage one can live on.

Can you post a link?  I'm a bit confused about this because most states don't even have cruise ship porters.

Is it truly necessary to tip the people that move your bags two feet?  In Vancouver ( I know not a similar union situation) passengers literally brought their bags to the truck with their ship name. Baggage picked up - put on truck - less than two feet - no tip necessary. The tip belongs to your room steward that does the actual work. I would never have known this, but on a recent B2B in Alaska, I saw one of my room stewards on the bottom deck - where passengers were exiting/entering and baggage was being loaded. I asked what be was doing all the way down here - and he told me that they had to come down to get the baggage for their sections and deliver it to the cabins. To be honest, I never really thought about how it was delivered before.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If I'm not mistaken, the baggage handling for Royal at Port Canaveral is contracted to Ambassador Services. If so, I don't believe they are union. 

Disclaimer...I could be and frequently am wrong so there is that. 😁

I don't know that there is a wrong answer on this though. I will tip 5 a bag but at the end of the day, you do you and have a great time. No judging on my part either way. 🍻

5 minutes ago, Lakelife4me said:

If I'm not mistaken, the baggage handling for Royal at Port Canaveral is contracted to Ambassador Services. If so, I don't believe they are union. 

The company itself may not be union, but its employees are.  There are several NLRB complaints filed against them over the years from the International Longshoremen's Association union.

26 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The company itself may not be union, but its employees are.  There are several NLRB complaints filed against them over the years from the International Longshoremen's Association union.

I am admittedly very over my ski tips on the union discussion. 🙃 

19 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I would have immediately have gotten his supervisor. 

As I said, I was just struck dumb by his remark.  Believe me, if it happens again, I will definitely take it up with his boss.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 4:13 PM, sanger727 said:

Where are you getting this info from?

Longshoreman Salary | Salary.com

"How much does a Longshoreman make in the United States? The average Longshoreman salary in the United States is $60,895 as of September 25, 2023, but the salary range typically falls between $54,930 and $67,283. "

So, they make more than $10,000 more per year than the average school teacher in the USA.  I sure hope all you parents who feel the need to tip a unionized longshoreman a few bucks for every bag, tip your kids' teachers $5 per day for every day they instruct your child, teach them right from wrong, and act as a caregiver/social worker/parent/teacher to them.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, RD64 said:

Is it truly necessary to tip the people that move your bags two feet?  In Vancouver ( I know not a similar union situation) passengers literally brought their bags to the truck with their ship name. Baggage picked up - put on truck - less than two feet - no tip necessary. The tip belongs to your room steward that does the actual work. I would never have known this, but on a recent B2B in Alaska, I saw one of my room stewards on the bottom deck - where passengers were exiting/entering and baggage was being loaded. I asked what be was doing all the way down here - and he told me that they had to come down to get the baggage for their sections and deliver it to the cabins. To be honest, I never really thought about how it was delivered before.

I also tip my cabin steward the amount depends on our needs for the trip.  My standard is about $10.00 per day and I like to tip at the beginning of the trip.  T.I.P.S To Insure Prompt Service, and I usually never have any issues with my cabin.  Again tipping is very subjective and to each their own.  This is a judge free zone on my part.  I am just passing along what I do.

23 minutes ago, yogimax said:

"To insure prompt service?"  Actually an urban legend.

Wouldn't it be funny if he tipped $70 on day one then was ghosted by the attendant? Tips are for completed outstanding service, not prior to. I wonder if he tips his local restaurant server when they first come to his table.

• Like 2