Going rate per bag for Porters?

Truluv

On 10/12/2023 at 12:17 PM, Tree_skier said:

Full-time registered longshore workers earned an average of $197,514 in 2022, not including benefits. Benefits include...  full insurance coverage, a 401(k) and a pension with a maximum yearly retirement benefit of $95,460.

Benefits are valued at $100,534

they don't need my $2 a bag. I'll save my tip money for workers on the ship.

🙂 

I’m just going to throw this out there for those who are adamant rehashing this discussion about tipping porters (and it is absolutely your right to do with your money as you wish).  For the sake of argument, let’s say the longshoreman’s salary is based on a more modest $25/hr with benefits - do you support a living wage for all of those on minimum wage where you live?  

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 12:17 PM, Tree_skier said:

Full-time registered longshore workers earned an average of $197,514 in 2022, not including benefits. Benefits include...  full insurance coverage, a 401(k) and a pension with a maximum yearly retirement benefit of $95,460.

Benefits are valued at $100,534

they don't need my $2 a bag. I'll save my tip money for workers on the ship.

🙂 

You think the full time, 50-60 hour a week ILA members are doing this work? I'd assume this is the lower level guys looking for extra money. I work on a port in Philly...NONE of my guys are making almost 200k a year. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Wouldn't it be funny if he tipped $70 on day one then was ghosted by the attendant? Tips are for completed outstanding service, not prior to. I wonder if he tips his local restaurant server when they first come to his table.

Most of my local servers know us and we usually never have a problem as we like to frequent the same locations.  And I have never been ghosted by a room steward.

8 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

For the sake of argument, let’s say the longshoreman’s salary is based on a more modest $25/hr with benefits - do you support a living wage for all of those on minimum wage where you live?  

But it's not.  There isn't a Longshoreman in North America making $25 an hour.  

That being said, I support people being paid what their labor is worth, which should dictated by a free market economy without interference from  government.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fishfan0073 said:

And again as it has been stated many times.  Tipping is subjective, tip if you want to don't tip if you don't want to.  It is not going to change how I spend my money.  As long as I am enjoying myself on vacation that is all I care about.

Yes, tipping is. But paying someone a bribe before their service is not tipping.

• Like 3

Still haven’t had the opportunity to tip a porter. In Alaska I put my luggage in a pile at the train and next thing I knew it was at my cabin door. In Vancouver it was a guy that just transferred it less than 2 feet and his priority was the next person instead of asking for a tip. I will see in Italy how it is but will have cash just in case.

Best tip in Alaska was my shuttle driver from the airport to the hotel. Gave him 5$ and when the next morning he picked us up to take us to the train he placed our luggage so it would be the first ones off and we wouldn’t be stuck waiting.

I will probably never drive to a cruise port and am perfectly capable of handling all my luggage and more alone without any assistance. I’ll drop off my luggage at the designated spot and that’s it. A $1 tip per bag is plenty for a porter having to move it a few feet.

I don't care what anyone else does as far as tipping and never have.

I just try to imagine what it would be like if there WERE NO porters to just yank those fifty pound Samsonite anchors from a thousand +/-  SUVs, and toss them onto a luggage trolley.

For a couple of bucks when spending a few thousand on the cruise I do not want to wait while a thousand people are fighting over spaces to unload, finding a luggage trolly, stacking their bags so they won't fall out on the trip to the ship, handling their bags in the rain or the snow and keeping the line moving as fast as possible to get me on the ship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boscobeans said:

I don't care what anyone else does as far as tipping and never have.

I just try to imagine what it would be like if there WERE NO porters to just yank those fifty pound Samsonite anchors from a thousand +/-  SUVs, and toss them onto a luggage trolley.

For a couple of bucks when spending a few thousand on the cruise I do not want to wait while a thousand people are fighting over spaces to unload, finding a luggage trolly, stacking their bags so they won't fall out on the trip to the ship, handling their bags in the rain or the snow and keeping the line moving as fast as possible to get me on the ship.

It’s easy to imagine that there were no porters. Your port fees would go down; that is how these guys get paid. 

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It’s easy to imagine that there were no porters. Your port fees would go down; that is how these guys get paid. 

I thought port fees were charges shared by all passengers for the fees that each port stop during the cruise charges the ship to dock.

On 10/18/2023 at 4:39 AM, Airbear232 said:

I’m just going to throw this out there for those who are adamant rehashing this discussion about tipping porters (and it is absolutely your right to do with your money as you wish).  For the sake of argument, let’s say the longshoreman’s salary is based on a more modest $25/hr with benefits - do you support a living wage for all of those on minimum wage where you live?  

Define "living wage"

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 4:41 PM, SoloAlaska said:

Still haven’t had the opportunity to tip a porter. In Alaska I put my luggage in a pile at the train and next thing I knew it was at my cabin door. In Vancouver it was a guy that just transferred it less than 2 feet and his priority was the next person instead of asking for a tip. I will see in Italy how it is but will have cash just in case.

Best tip in Alaska was my shuttle driver from the airport to the hotel. Gave him 5$ and when the next morning he picked us up to take us to the train he placed our luggage so it would be the first ones off and we wouldn’t be stuck waiting.

I will probably never drive to a cruise port and am perfectly capable of handling all my luggage and more alone without any assistance. I’ll drop off my luggage at the designated spot and that’s it. A $1 tip per bag is plenty for a porter having to move it a few feet.

It’s highly unlikely they will expect a tip in Italy 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 4:15 PM, Fishfan0073 said:

According to ZipRecuiter Florida ranks 48 out of 50 for salaries and the average is $12.71 per hour.  So if this is true please tip your porter as this is not a wage one can live on.

Do you really think the porters work for that pay? Every porter I have seen in Florida is, shall we say elderly. They are because of seniority and it's a cushy job with great pay and benefits.

On 10/17/2023 at 1:28 PM, Fishfan0073 said:

I also tip my cabin steward the amount depends on our needs for the trip.  My standard is about $10.00 per day and I like to tip at the beginning of the trip.  T.I.P.S To Insure Prompt ServiceT.I.P.S To Insure Prompt Service, and I usually never have any issues with my cabin.  Again tipping is very subjective and to each their own.  This is a judge free zone on my part.  I am just passing along what I do.

Why should you need to "To Insure Prompt Service"? They should be doing their job. We always tip at the end of the cruise.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

That’s what I figured. I much prefer European tipping customs but still learning them.

Also no need to tip the porters in the UK at the ports. Recently been on P&O out of southampton, you wheel the bags over to a hole in the wall and the porter puts them on a conveyer belt. Off they go and magically arrive at your room a few hours later. demanding a tip by holding hand out to do their job and make sure bags get onto the ship would be an instant dismissal. Bad PR for the company.

But tip who and when as you feel, its up to you. But should never be accepted.

👍

Edited by FamilyCruiserUK
  • Like 2