Going rate per bag for Porters?

Truluv

17 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Where are you getting this info from?

Longshoreman Salary | Salary.com

"How much does a Longshoreman make in the United States? The average Longshoreman salary in the United States is $60,895 as of September 25, 2023, but the salary range typically falls between $54,930 and $67,283. "

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/west-coast-dockworkers-making-200k-demand-higher-pay#:~:text=How ILWU earnings are calculated,that steep for skilled labor.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

If you read the whole article, to get to that number they are counting on third shift workers making a lot more and overtime. That's not necessarily the situation for cruise ship porters. They certainly aren't on third shift. And It says that alot of the workers work less than full time, so they wouldn't be getting overtime. 

I'm not saying they aren't paid well. But this article seems a bit inflated. Kinda like that report that UPS drivers make $200,000 a year. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

So what are you going to do?  Answers ranged from $0 per bag to $5 per bag.

I will probably do $5/bag -- maybe more depending on the service.  My suitcase is HEAVY.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Last week in Miami I tipped $6 for three bags, as I always do.  The porter stared at the cash in his hand and frowned. One of the three bags had been delivered by the time cabins were available, but the other two did not appear until over an hour after sail away. The Apple air tags showed that they were still outside the terminal at sail away, and I was very stressed and upset at the thought of a 7-night cruise with no clothing. Coincidence?  Maybe. I won’t tip more because of it, but I will always wonder where those bags were between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

If you read the whole article, to get to that number they are counting on third shift workers making a lot more and overtime. That's not necessarily the situation for cruise ship porters. They certainly aren't on third shift. And It says that alot of the workers work less than full time, so they wouldn't be getting overtime. 

I'm not saying they aren't paid well. But this article seems a bit inflated. Kinda like that report that UPS drivers make $200,000 a year. 

All the luggage handlers at the cruise terminal

are on overtime. 
It is a plum assignment, that is handed out by seniority (those that are at the higher end of the salary scale)

Union workers get paid 40 hours regardless of how short they fall, so “part time” really doesn’t exist. 

2 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Last week in Miami I tipped $6 for three bags, as I always do.  The porter stared at the cash in his hand and frowned. One of the three bags had been delivered by the time cabins were available, but the other two did not appear until over an hour after sail away. The Apple air tags showed that they were still outside the terminal at sail away, and I was very stressed and upset at the thought of a 7-night cruise with no clothing. Coincidence?  Maybe. I won’t tip more because of it, but I will always wonder where those bags were between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.   

Maybe use @steveru621's folding trick?

Edited by soremekun

On 10/12/2023 at 5:47 PM, ZoeyVictoria said:

I've seen multiple reports that show the bags aren't exactly where they show up as being.  The Air Tags aren't always 100% accurate.  They're close but not always exact.  So, while they appeared to be ashore, they were obviously onboard but couldn't be pinpointed.  Possibly some type of connection interruption.

I am not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a nice cruise and then quibble about giving the last person I hand my luggage to a tip!!  Not any of my business, nor do I care, what they earn or don’t earn!!

I happily give them their tip and then board the ship and look forward to my vacation…... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We sailed out of Miami for the first time in Jan. 2022 for our Symphony cruise.  After 15 cruises, it was the first time I was actually told by a porter that if I didn't tip, my bag might get lost.  I was struck dumb and just pointed to my husband who hadn't heard the veiled threat.  He gave the guy two fivers which made the porter very happy.

We had done a TransAtlantic out of Southampton and the porters were so polite and patient. I have to say, we never had any issue in Ft. Lauderdale.

On 10/12/2023 at 7:54 AM, Truluv said:

Haven't cruised for a few years, and it's definitely time to update my info.  (The last guidance I found in the general questions was from 2016.)  Can someone let me know the going rate per bag for the porters at the Bayonne port?

The last time we cruised was in 2019 and we gave $5 a bag.