Going rate per bag for Porters?

Truluv

On 10/19/2023 at 2:58 AM, sailor05 said:

$1 a bag has been the norm for years. Not bad since a lot of times they're taking them 10 ft and putting them on cart.

Exactly. And "for years" means that it does not meet today's (years later) requirements. $1 a bag was a rate from 20 years ago. Inflation. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Exactly. And "for years" means that it does not meet today's (years later) requirements. $1 a bag was a rate from 20 years ago. Inflation. 

20 years ago the porters would take your bags from the curb to the ship with smaller carts. Now they load them on large carts and those carts are taken to the ship by someone else. $1 is PLENTY for simply loading them on the cart. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

🤣🤣🤣 Inflation for a non tipping job? Even when we did still tip, it was a $1.00 a bag. We quit tipping them maybe 3 years ago. It was a little hard to get DH on board with the non tipping the porters.

52 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

🤣🤣🤣 Inflation for a non tipping job? Even when we did still tip, it was a $1.00 a bag. We quit tipping them maybe 3 years ago. It was a little hard to get DH on board with the non tipping the porters.

Amazed at how folks are so concerned about saving a buck or two for a tip when cruise prices have increased by hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I understand your husband. What's a couple books to someone who takes your bags? Have you seen some the luggage these people take on cruise? It looks like they are moving onto the ship!

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2023 at 6:23 PM, ReneeFLL said:

Do you really think the porters work for that pay? Every porter I have seen in Florida is, shall we say elderly. They are because of seniority and it's a cushy job with great pay and benefits.

How many people do you know who when growing up had the burning desire to be a Porter? I see it as a necessity .People who are not able to get desirable jobs will take a job as a Porter,IMHO.

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

How many people do you know who when growing up had the burning desire to be a Porter? I see it as a necessity .People who are not able to get desirable jobs will take a job as a Porter,IMHO.

how many people did you know growing up who wanted to be an accountant?  Do you tip them?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, dahirsh said:

how many people did you know growing up who wanted to be an accountant?  Do you tip them?

When I was in college 60 years ago many people aspired to be Accountants.If you Google is it acceptable to tip your Accountant you will find that the answer is Yes.

On 10/18/2023 at 1:36 PM, Tree_skier said:

But it's not.  There isn't a Longshoreman in North America making $25 an hour.  

That being said, I support people being paid what their labor is worth, which should dictated by a free market economy without interference from  government.

Apparently there are many longshoremen who do not even make $25/hr.  There is no “free market”, some level of government always influences/regulates the economy.  When the economy tanks big business is always there with hat in hand to be bailed out by the government.  

6 big bags today on Symphony (Barcelona B2B), pulled up in transfer van, tipped the baggage professional 20 Euros. He passed our bags off to an associate took my wife and myself (in wheelchair) past the hundreds (thousands?) in line through a staff only area and directly into the security. We were scanned, photographed by RCI and on the ship in less than 5 minutes.

Worth it to me!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Apparently there are many longshoremen who do not even make $25/hr.  There is no “free market”, some level of government always influences/regulates the economy.  When the economy tanks big business is always there with hat in hand to be bailed out by the government.  

You obviously have no concept of labor unions and collective bargaining 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lakelife4me said:

Needs and standards according to who?

And I will be tipping 5 bucks a bag. Final answer on that.

Whatever you tip is your prerogative.  Regarding living wage, it was meant to highlight the disparity between minimum wage and what is actually needed by a person to more than just make ends meet.  No one earning minimum wage in NA can make ends meet.  

17 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Whatever you tip is your prerogative.  Regarding living wage, it was meant to highlight the disparity between minimum wage and what is actually needed by a person to more than just make ends meet.  No one earning minimum wage in NA can make ends meet.  

Minimum wage was NEVER intended to be a living wage.  Minimum wage is designed for part time student workers to make some pocket money.  If one is working for minimum wage and trying to care for a family or live indeoendently, then one needs to get their crap together and do better.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Minimum wage was NEVER intended to be a living wage.  Minimum wage is designed for part time student workers to make some pocket money.  If one is working for minimum wage and trying to care for a family or live indeoendently, then one needs to get their crap together and do better.

According to who?  Your definition doesn’t align with either how the government calculates unemployment or the realties of the workforce.  It’s not 1950 anymore.  

6 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

According to who?  Your definition doesn’t align with either how the government calculates unemployment or the realties of the workforce.  It’s not 1950 anymore.  

Umm according to every economist in the capitalist world.

Maybe they do things differently in Canada 

• Haha 1