Going rate per bag for Porters?

Truluv

Haven't cruised for a few years, and it's definitely time to update my info.  (The last guidance I found in the general questions was from 2016.)  Can someone let me know the going rate per bag for the porters at the Bayonne port?

There is no "going rate".  We usually do $1/bag, but I've seen posts by people who state they give more.  You actually don't have to tip anything and don't believe those posts that say their bags went missing because they didn't tip.  All the longshoremen do is load them on carts that get taken through scanning and then loaded by forklift onto the ship.  After that, it's ship's crew that delivers them.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

a dollar a bag when dropping off, as all they do is throw it on the belt. But getting off, when the load the cart and walk it out for you, I tip more. Gave 10 bucks for 4 bags and he walked it all the way through the parking lot with us. 

Having them load a cart and walk you to your car is your choice and they deserve a good tip as they're hauling it and loading it.  Arriving and them just putting it on the cart isn't really a choice for anyone with larger bags that can't be carried on (we never do) is part of the arrival  process.  We always take our own bags out of the terminal after a cruise.  I remember when suitcases didn't have wheels.

• Like 5

Full-time registered longshore workers earned an average of $197,514 in 2022, not including benefits. Benefits include...  full insurance coverage, a 401(k) and a pension with a maximum yearly retirement benefit of $95,460.

Benefits are valued at $100,534

they don't need my $2 a bag. I'll save my tip money for workers on the ship.

🙂 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Full-time registered longshore workers earned an average of $197,514 in 2022, not including benefits. Benefits include...  full insurance coverage, a 401(k) and a pension with a maximum yearly retirement benefit of $95,460.

Benefits are valued at $100,534

they don't need my $2 a bag. I'll save my tip money for workers on the ship.

🙂 

Where are you getting this info from?

Longshoreman Salary | Salary.com

"How much does a Longshoreman make in the United States? The average Longshoreman salary in the United States is $60,895 as of September 25, 2023, but the salary range typically falls between $54,930 and $67,283. "