Thanksgiving Menu

sunonfire

You are correct in your speculations.

We almost always sail during Thanksgiving as I was a born on Thanksgiving and it usually falls close. My experience has been that they decorate the ship and have many Thanksgiving Items - Turkey, Pumpkin Pie etc at the buffet and carving station.

Thanksgiving Dinner is pretty much the standard menu, but they usually have a Turkey dinner as one of the selection.  Turkey, Stuffing, Green Beans, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy -

BTW in my humble opinion their Pumpkin Pie is among the worst I've ever had and it is my favorite pie.   I usually no longer even try it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have done 4 cruises on thanksgiving since 2016.   All Caribbean, they usually have a nice spread on the lunch buffet during thanksgiving from what I have seen. Tho this will be my first year, for thanksgiving that while on a cruise that we will be on an island this time.  So will see.  But never seen anything special with it overall.  And agree with above the pumpkin pie is horrid.  

I usually sail during Thanksgiving and do not remember them doing anything special in the dining room. The last time I saw that was several years ago and everyone that ordered the "Turkey Dinner" was very disappointed. Just remember it is the Chef's version of Thanksgiving and is usually not what we expect. Kind of like going to a Chinese restaurant and ordering pizza.

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We almost always sail during Thanksgiving as I was a born on Thanksgiving and it usually falls close.

I have been during Thanksgiving cruises since 2016 and cannot believe I still haven't met you guys! I'm doing MSC this year for the 1st time.

Did a Celebrity Caribbean cruise over U.S. Thanksgiving pre pandemic. Ordered the requisite turkey meal but the Galley ran outta turkey. Seems the Aussie Executive Chef based quantities on a previous year’s cruise when many folks were ashore. Folks were not happy. There was almost a riot. Not sure whether that was a ‘career defining’ move for the Chef or not. We ended up having sushi. For the next three days, there was a turkey carving station in the buffet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, go.without.you said:

I have been during Thanksgiving cruises since 2016 and cannot believe I still haven't met you guys! I'm doing MSC this year for the 1st time.

I guess it all depends on which ships.  We did Caribbean cruises for the fist years of cruising 20+ years ago but mostly do TA in the fall.    Hope we get to meet some day.

1 hour ago, go.without.you said:

Did a 7 day on the MSC Meraviglia outta Red Hook, Brooklyn. Our first MSC. Was impressed with the food and service. Gonna try MSC again early in the New Year…

We had our Thanksgiving dinner (or was it lunch?) on Celebrity in 2018, in the buffet. Nothing is ever the same as how your own family does it, but we were fine with that, and thought the food was tasty enough. I didn't have to cook, clean, break up any arguments, listen to politics, or worry about someone getting too drunk.  It was great! 🙂

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot- when they first put out the TG buffet there were no mashed potatoes. I was ok with this but apparently it was NOT ok with many other passengers (and my own kids but they were too young to complain)... about 20 minutes after we arrived we saw a ton of mashed potatoes coming out, so I appreciated how responsive they were to the feedback!

42 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Oh, I forgot- when they first put out the TG buffet there were no mashed potatoes. I was ok with this but apparently it was NOT ok with many other passengers (and my own kids but they were too young to complain)... about 20 minutes after we arrived we saw a ton of mashed potatoes coming out, so I appreciated how responsive they were to the feedback!

If one wants mashed potatoes this year, they're in luck, order just about any MDR entree and you'll get an uninspiring scoop of them.  Mashed potatoes were apparently added to "All Included" 🙃

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was on Edge during Thanksgiving last year.

I personally opted out of having any of the thanksgiving food ... there were better choices on the Luminae menu for dinner, and I personally love the Indian cuisine they have at the buffet, so that's usually my go-to there.

With that said, I did look at how it was laid out, and it was very clear that the chef didn't understand Thanksgiving traditions ... there were mashed potatoes, turkey, and gravy ... but the mashed potatoes were very far from the gravy, leading to people taking very non-optimal paths around the buffet to set up their plates, and all commenting on it...

I doubt that it'd be prepared like a home-cooked thanksgiving if they don't even realize that the gravy should be next to the potatoes...

Turkey offered in the buffet carving station is always better than what they serve in the dining room.  On Summit last week and had Turkey with Mashed Potatoes Stuffing and gravy with cranberry sauce.  I don't remember seeing the green bean casserole.

Gravy was next to the potatoes!

On 10/29/2023 at 8:19 PM, someguyfl said:

I was on Edge during Thanksgiving last year.

I personally opted out of having any of the thanksgiving food ... there were better choices on the Luminae menu for dinner, and I personally love the Indian cuisine they have at the buffet, so that's usually my go-to there.

With that said, I did look at how it was laid out, and it was very clear that the chef didn't understand Thanksgiving traditions ... there were mashed potatoes, turkey, and gravy ... but the mashed potatoes were very far from the gravy, leading to people taking very non-optimal paths around the buffet to set up their plates, and all commenting on it...

I doubt that it'd be prepared like a home-cooked thanksgiving if they don't even realize that the gravy should be next to the potatoes...

Surprised.    When I had it last year they had a scoop of Stuffing with both Dark and White meat layered on top.    A nice scoop of Mashed on the side with Green Beans.   They served gravy on the side and a bit of cranberry sauce.    This was in Luminae and was good.   I do however say I've never had a piece of Pumpkin Pie that I lliked.   How hard is to to Follow Libby's Label.  LOL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Surprised.    When I had it last year they had a scoop of Stuffing with both Dark and White meat layered on top.    A nice scoop of Mashed on the side with Green Beans.   They served gravy on the side and a bit of cranberry sauce.    This was in Luminae and was good.   I do however say I've never had a piece of Pumpkin Pie that I lliked.   How hard is to to Follow Libby's Label.  LOL

You need a good slice of sweet potato pie…maybe it’s a Southern thing. 🙂