The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday October 17th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Bosses Day, National Pasta Day, and Wear Something Gaudy Day

One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.--Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Meal Suggestion for today - Vegetarian Chow Mein
Drink of the Day - Hornitos Shot Taker Margarita
Wine of the Day - 2019 Brass Tacks Pinot Noir
Destination of the Day - Fakarava Atoll, Tuamotus French Polynesia

Today in History:
1907 Guglielmo Marconi's company begins the first commercial transatlantic wireless service between Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada and Clifden, Ireland

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Huatulco, Mexico 1000-1800

Koningsdam

Honolulu (Oahu), Hawaii 0700[+1]1700

Nieuw Amsterdam

Panama Canal (Cruising Canal)

Nieuw Statendam

Santorini, Greece 0700-1700

Noordam

Kailua Kona, Hawaii 0900-1800

Oosterdam

Istanbul, Turkey

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 10-21

Volendam

At Sea Destination Tabuaeran, Fanning Islands eta 10/18

Zaandam

Guayaquil, Ecuador Overnight

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Funchal, Madeira eta 10-18

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

Hakodate, Japan 0800-2300

1017World.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 18

Good morning friends!  It's another cold morning with only 43F and clear skies.  High will be 65 and sunny!  Thank you to fellow Georgian Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report.

No bosses here - hopefully we are equal.  Pasta is a reason to celebrate most any day, and I'm not sure I own anything gaudy.  I appreciate the Love quote.  I would certainly try the vegetarian chow mein, but not the drink or pinot noir.  How exciting it must have been in 1907 to be able to communicate overseas with Marconi's wireless service!  Thanks go to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports on our food and beverages every day.

Prayers again today for the Israeli people and the Ukrainian people, both having  suffered immeasurably by their attackers.  Also for my DB, Scott and Mark, and for Edi  @NextOne as she undergoes her heart surgery today.  Hoping for a quick recovery for you Edi!  For everyone on our Care list and even those not mentioned, we pray for every one of you to show improvement and less pain.  For all who celebrate a special event and those cruising, congrats to you!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for staying on top of our group and keeping the lists, even with your own problems to handle.

Today's port is Fakarava Atoll, Tuamotu, French Polynesia.  I haven't been to that particular spot in French Polynesia so no photos from me.  We had that destination twice before on July 21, 2021 and April 7, 2022.  Here are the links for your convenience in obtaining your photos.

Volendam is skipping stopping at Fanning Island, and just did a circumnavigation of the island due to problems with Kiribati customs officials not being able to make it there to clear the ship on this date.  I'm sure the passengers are disappointed but hope they are not complaining loudly as there is nothing that can be done about it.  The ship is moving on to Samoa now.

Hoping everyone has a great day today.  Stay safe and well!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on ventilator

NextOne’s valve replacement surgery today

57redbird’s DH having an external nerve ablation for afib on October 18

Mamaofami’s Sam hospitalized

HAL Sailer’s DH hospitalized, ? at rehab

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DH Scott hospitalized, post-arrest, with complications

Cruising-along’s DH with pneumonia

CrabbyPatti’s DFIL hospitalized with Covid, pneumonia, heart issues

Cruzin Terri having challenging days

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine and Israel

From the Rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DB Mark with bile duct cancer

Haljo1945 with a frozen shoulder, PT for now

Catmando with cancer recurrence, on immunotherapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Royal Caribbean cruise ship evacuating Americans from Israel

RMLincoln’s good respite with family & good meetings at the new community

Cruzn single now testing negative for Covid

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill improving from bronchitis

Smitty34877’s aide for Tana working out well

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 days for Marshhawk (Carnival Pride Oct 18 to Oct 28, Oct 28 to Nov 12)

2 days for Lady Hudson (Liberty of the Seas Oct 19 to Oct 28, Canada & NE)

3 days for Vict0riann (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell)

3 days for Sailingdutchy (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell)

7 days for Aliaschief (Seabourn Quest Oct 24 to Nov 7, Montreal to Miami)

Kazu (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), 0106 (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), St Pete Cruiser (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), Live4cruises (Westerdam to Oct 28, N.Pacific crossing & Japan Collector), Horizon Chaser 1957 (Eurodam to Oct 28, Panama Canal)and Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A cold morning here, only 1°C (34°F).  Brrrr  Too soon for this cold weather.

I guess in a way, we are all bosses (of ourselves).  Any day is a day to celebrate pasta.  One person's gaudy, is another person's style. 

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.  I'm sure the drink and wine will be good too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Time to walk Bertie.  Have a good day.

• Like 27

Good morning, everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Got back from my trip to Colorado yesterday and was exhausted. It was a very busy week. 

Chilly this morning, in the 40s. 

Going back to the office today. It is a challenge to get back into your routine after being away. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Happy Tuesday Cat Meme | Funny good morning memes, Happy tuesday images ...

• Like 27
  • Haha 1

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I'll pass on the Gaudy but probably enjoy pasta at dinner.  I had 3 bosses, the first was a tyrant but the other 2 were great.

I've been to Fakarava just once, Crystal Symphony in 2018.    A great day in communications history. 

I'll pass on the meal. My alternative is Coconut Nutmeg Soup, Grilled Turkey Breast, and Mixed Berry Tart as served on MS Amsterdam October 17, 20173

dishes17a.JPG.0a7c9f5ed8c5aa0af63dd871ec

Roy

• Like 31

Hornitos Shot Taker Margarita cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Hornitos® Plata Tequila
2 parts Lime Juice
1 part Agave Syrup
Garnish: Lime Wheel

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a rocks glass with a half rim of salt and fresh ice.

Garnish with a lime wheel and serve with a shot on the side.

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 7.17.19 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 13

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

Now something serious. If most of y’all read my post yesterday concerning my main credit card being compromised, this was the second time this has happened in the past year, about the same time I started posting regularly on this thread. I am afraid I have posted too much info during the year so I have decided to change my identity on this thread. From now on please refer to me as Bob the Redneck.

Today’s port is Fakarava, one of the best snorkeling experiences I ever had way back in April 2019. I organized a group of 32 fellow passengers on an all day snorkel trip at Fakarava. Snorkeling would include at a beautiful reef and with sharks plus lunch at the Blue Lagoon.  Many of the passengers were concerned if we would get back late so I told them, “Don’t worry, if we miss the ship Fakarava has an airport with flights from Fakarava to San Diego once a year and that flight left yesterday”. 😀. Well, everything went well until one of the three boats broke down when we were 20 miles from the ship. No problem, the tour guide got on his phone and we had an unbroken boat in 40 minutes. Most interesting experience was eating pieces of pineapple at the Blue Lagoon in thigh deep water with black tip sharks circling me and the other four passengers! 😳

• Like 26

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! A brisk 51 this morning. First time wearing long pants since early Spring! Yesterday was so windy, I knew I would end up getting soaked if I washed my car. So I may take it to a car wash today. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Praying that your medical team finds a solution to your pain. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores- hoping there is less of a breeze today. The temperature is delightful, but yesterday’s wind made it downright chilly. 

IMG_1835.jpeg.a1512264486147e29cc0b222f895ad64.jpeg

IMG_1855.jpeg.ebd136f1c0da8f6e7455f6b7bf38b303.jpeg

IMG_1859.jpeg.2b65c3406951ae51d32e5a8f8ac6383b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 

@NextOne Edi, praying your surgery goes smoothly & your recovery is quick!
@smitty34877 Terry, praying for you, Tana, your familles & support teams. 

@HAL Sailer Melissa, praying that your DH continues to improve. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

2019 Brass Tacks Pinot Noir

Another Naked Wine - but from a Central Coast vintner that offers other wines to the general public. If they are as good as this excellent Pinot Noir, they are worth trying. Members of Naked wine can pick this up for $14.99.

Distributor notes

Elegant, limited-release Pinot Noir - a sleek, one-off specialty from Scott. This velvety Pinot Noir packs a delicate cast of red fruit flavors like strawberry and ripe cherry, with a light, vibrant finish that’s easy-sipping and elegant all at once.

To craft this fresh, fruity red, Scott blended Pinot from a mix of select California vineyards, night-harvesting his fruit and fermenting the wine in a mix of stainless steel and oak barrels for an extra touch of complexity. 

Bring home a few bottles of this limited-release red while supplies last and take your cue from Scott to enjoy this Pinot “in the company of good friends and hearty appetites.”
This Pinot is delicious now, but also has the structure to continue aging for the next few years. 
Serve at room temperature. Open and let the bottle rest for 10-15 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to open up to their fullest.
Pinot Noir is one of the classic Burgundian varietals and is one of the most food friendly of wines. This Pinot will pair wonderfully with a wide range of foods, and also stands up well all on its own.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 2

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here

I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday so I need to have a fasting blood draw. My plan was to go today - but overslept. Oh well! In Scarlett' O'Hara famous words: "Tomorrow is another day."  😁

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.  

- Jack

• Like 24

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the report, recipes and lists.  It’s the first bosses day that I don’t have a boss and I’m enjoying it.  Pasta day could be every day for me.  I don’t think that I own anything gaudy but that is a matter of opinion.  I like the quote.  I’ll skip the meal and drink suggestions and celebrate pasta day with chicken tetrazzini instead.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on the prayer list today.  Cheers to all celebrating happy events today, like bosses day!

• Like 22

Good morning everyone. We have been to today’s port of call on the Maasdam and we will have a return visit next year on the world cruise.
Over the years I was fortunate to have some outstanding bosses. I’m relieved that I’m no longer a boss of over 800 great folks that’s main task was to make me look good. Though I did take an oath to obey the Colonel my beloved DW. @JazzyV Thanks for the Care/Celebration List and adding our upcoming cruise on the Seabourn Quest.I do hope it’s 14 days vs 7 as we would disembark in NYC versus Miami.😊

Have a man coming by this morning to look at my yard and give an estimate for maintaining it. Present service has not been acceptable even when he finally shows up.

It’s our coolest morning this Fall as we are starting the morning at 47 F. 
Have not had chow mein in years and have no strong desire to savor again.

Rich thanks for the Fleet Report and thank all of you who make the Daily our daily routine. Have a great day. Bruce

image.jpeg.be76d5a6f0e5ad5858b879ff3a5964c8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d18df4277a48f45547bbbb178aca73c8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.44b8dce6e6e10c4c115725eed5647cc8.jpegimage.jpeg.e63e0eb59e3b5ce6e5ced0793d0026d3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cb5d44e4408e0b9716c86fb257889e67.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8082671141f95fd9b21da1edb586fff6.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 17
  • Haha 16

Good morning from a cold and clear central Texas.  It is 41F, feels like 41F, but fortunately our wind is only 1 mph.  The humidity is 89% with a dew point of 38F, so the humidity will do down as it warms up to a high of 74F this afternoon.  This morning there will be a mercy run to two stores.  The mercy run is to replenish the dwindling Dr. Pepper Zero and Riesling supplies. ☺️ Our grocery store has wine 20% off on six bottles or more, plus seniors get a 5% discount today.  After checking prices of the wine at area liquor stores, the wine is very close to the price at Total Wine, but I don't have to drive to Ft. Worth.  This afternoon, I hope to get the yard mowed.  The native grasses are sprouting their long shoots that contain the seeds. 

I was lucky to have good bosses with only one not as good as the others, and that was not DH.  Since it is pasta day, I may thaw some of Sunday's lasagna for dinner.  Last night's leftover ribs were substituted with chili since it was still cool out.  They were on the menu for tonight, but we'll have them tomorrow.  I don't think I have anything gaudy to wear today.

Today's quote is one I really like.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds good, but unobtainable.  It will be cardbordeaux Pinot Noir with our lasagna.

We have not been to today's port.  In 2004, on the Tahitian Princess, we visited Rangiroa, another beautiful, hot atoll.

Marconi's transatlantic wireless service was another leap forward in communication.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I also read on Bill and Mary Ann's @WCB about Volendam having to skip Fanning Island.  I've never seen a port skipped because the Custom and Immigration officials could not get to the port.  I also found it interesting that the Captain said he'd be at Guest Services to answer questions, and for the passengers to not bother the Guest Services staff.

@NextOne  Edi, sending very positive thoughts for a uneventful surgery and an easy recovery.

@HAL Sailer  Melissa, I hope your DH is continuing to improve.

@mamaofami  Carol, I hope Sam is doing much better now.

@Denise T  Welcome home, Denise.

354251271_647483160758169_6513357754259640395_n.thumb.jpg.9d200b95cdc8ece43504046463695ae9.jpg

358692570_716539593609713_1284287278212182777_n.thumb.jpg.3d7f5aab7f808b74de9fea830b22c513.jpg

355488687_748857330581358_202415366654294884_n.jpg.0739b85e62e9dfec1fa275c47b156fc4.jpg

358649058_222802644046118_6855128879780164_n.thumb.jpg.3567d96300af306cb39dcbaa2058f86f.jpg

363361968_1344777849453009_7349680861833357874_n.jpg.133b8ac053439ef2c09b9bb7001b87f4.jpg

380575234_689642579865744_3375775901831336508_n.thumb.jpg.b89dc5e9afd7c50753a772247b5d2c39.jpg

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Haha 17

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily reports @richwmn.   I was a boss for a long time in my career and of course had a boss, I didn't own the company.  We both love pasta but it is a rare treat usually at the holidays as we watch our carbs.  I do have a gaudy pink and camo sweatshirt but it is up at the cabin.   A good quote by Coelho.   As Graham I like my Chow Mein with meat in it.    A wonderful cocktail and I will pass on unattainable vino and instead finish my half bottle of Dehlinger 2013 Cabernet that I opened yesterday.    Fakarava is on our intinerary for 2025 on the Konigsdam.   I hope someone has some photos of the atoll.   I have been following Bill and Mary Ann's blog on their current Volendam cruise and I am happy for them the experience is completely different from their world cruise on the Zuiderdam.  

Prayers for Edi @NextOne as she has her heart procedure today.    @JazzyV I hope you are getting some relief from your pain.   @smitty34877 I hope things are going better for you as we move through this week.  Prayers for everyone in our group needing them and the people in war zones in Ukraine and Israel.   

Well we woke this morning and the panel on the double oven is kaput again.   I have a card from an appliance repair company that did great work on my recall on my Bosch dishwasher so will call them today.   I hate to have to shell out big bucks right when the propane bills will be picking up for the winter.   I hope to work outside later today to cut back my Ostrich Ferns and start digging the holes for my daffodil bulbs that arrived over the weekend.   I also am going to get my Calla Lilies dug and started to dry.   Have a lovely day.  Nancy 

Calla Lily from last year. 

calla.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Most interesting experience was eating pieces of pineapple at the Blue Lagoon in thigh deep water with black tip sharks circling me and the other four passengers! 😳

@RedneckBob, You don’t think they were trying to “sweeten” you 5 up - as shark 🦈 bait ?!?     Just kidding, RNB aka BTRN 😎

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 3
  • Haha 10

I can't believe I may have made it to page 1!  I'm up early, early, because I have a cold and woke up at 1:20, finally got out of bed at 5.  Now it's 6 and I'm wide awake.  I took a Tylenol cold pill in the hope it dries me up for my flu shot later this morning.  I did look it up and it seems it's okay to have it with a mild cold.  I have tested myself twice over the last couple of days and I am negative for Covid.  No temperature, just a runny nose, coughing and sneezing.  

Thank you to al Dailyites for today's FL and D!  We also circled Fanning Island many years ago on Statendam, but it was because of weather, not Customs.    

I will continue later, gotta get on page 1!

• Like 23

Good Morning from a cool but sunny day at the beach

It is presently 61degrees and only going up to 70.  I opened all the windows to get some fresh air, first time since March!  

No longer have a boss and I really like pasta in all forms. We went to Fakarava on the Eurodam in 2019.  Beautiful island, will post pictures later.

All is quiet here today. It seems everyone is going off on cruises. My sister is a big RCL fan and she is on a repositioning trip and will end up in Miami. She and her DH will drive here and spend a few days before going back to Boston.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 19

Good morning, everyone!

It is a chilly morning here in mid-Michigan.  We'll have mostly clouds today, but we are planning to get out and get the leaves to the curb.  We'll have to do it again, but at least it won't be such a huge job.  I remember moving in last year and the previous owners hadn't raked a single leaf.  I moved in on Saturday and the leaves had to be to the curb for pick up by Monday.  My neighbor came to the rescue.  He owns a landscaping firm and he sent a crew over to rake up the leaves.  

We got our Covid booster and the flu shot Sunday night.  Yesterday we were both dragging quite a bit so we just watched Netflix.  The pharmacist told us to wait two weeks for the RSV vaccine.  We'll make sure to have ice cream in the house for that.  We both wanted it yesterday, but neither of us had the energy to go get it.  Today we feel normal.  

My mom used to make chow mein when I was a kid and I have to admit that it wasn't one of my favorites.  I ate it because I was hungry and wasn't going to get anything else.  But, I haven't had it since.  I know I would prefer it with meat in it, so I'd probably add in some chicken if I were to make it.  We'll start with this one.  https://omnivorescookbook.com/vegetarian-chow-mein/

vegetarianchowmein1.thumb.jpg.2b71ae06cf7336ff8719329c8bf86c66.jpg

This looks like a sweeter version with the addition of brown sugar to it.  https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/vegetarian-cajun-chow-mein/

vegetarianchowmein2.thumb.jpg.8cf283aad0e76fc3dbc3e57474aea00f.jpg

I can see making this one with my own vegetable combination, chicken instead of the tofu, and leaving out the sugar.  I think that is a whole different dish and recipe.  https://www.recipetineats.com/vegetarian-chow-mein/

vegetarianchowmein3.thumb.jpg.4b7d817629ee668f4bde4c96d36ab5ad.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day.  Healing thoughts for Edi @NextOne as she undergoes her heart surgery.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 9

This is going to be a long page 1, if I've really gone back to post #3!.

It is 10 degrees celsius this morning at 6, and it is getting dark much earlier these days.  Fall seems to have snuck up on us.  The rains have started in earnest, and I'm watching for the reservoir to start going up again.  I think we got down to about 65%.

Jacqui was not able to locate my wandering AirTag yesterday on Rotterdam, so it will continue on its journey to Fort Lauderdale.  I hope it's having fun!   

I'm thinking of you all today, hoping all goes well.

PS  Post numbers seem to be repeating themselves!

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning to All and thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  I have had many bosses over the years and was a boss many times but now I am the boss so I will celebrate!  I am a carb lover so pasta is wonderful.  I don't think I have anything gaudy as my color palate is black/dark blue/brown!!  Lovely quote and I think I will pass on all the food and drink.  Never been to French Polynesia; maybe some day.

The weather has been great and my door has been opened all the time when I am home. Great day subbing yesterday and today is a chill day - gym and then my yearly appt with my PCP.  Got notified yesterday my 5 day subbing gig for W-F and next M-T was cancelled but I was able to sign up for replacements.  For some reason the app for the subbing jobs was not syncing with my calendar.  After trying different remedies, I was able to get it to sync again. Problem solved!!

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those who are celebrating.  

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 23

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily.  Being retired, I'm my own boss so I get to do whatever I say.  We enjoy pasta in various dishes.  Woo hoo, gaudy is my favourite colour!  At Christmas time I would often wear gaudy sweaters or sequined vests under my judicial robes.  LOL

It's a pleasant 11C (52) this morning and we're looking at a high of 18 (65) which, for this time of year is absolutely great.  This afternoon we're going to blow the leaves and fill up our green bin for tomorrow's pick-up.  DH has blown enough on the perimeter of the yard to give cover for little insects, so now the rest will be going in the city's compost.

@NextOnesending prayers for you and your medical team today.

@HAL Sailer praying that your DH is continuing to improve.

@JazzyVI hope you had a better night and can find the source of your pain.

A busy time today, have to make a run to the grocery store for a couple of tubes of "Grandma's chocolate chip cookies" to bake and bring to Calgary.  While I'm in the kitchen, I'll pre-mix  the porcupine balls and brown them before vacuum sealing and freezing them for transport as well.  Then it's a matter of gathering together all the things we've picked up for the family since they were here in August.  Whenever DH and I go out shopping, there's always a little something that we think 1 of the 4 of them would like to have and we put it aside for the next time we see them.  I usually have a big IKEA bag full of goodies when we arrive.  LOL

I'd like the drink of the day sans the salted rim, would like the wine, and like the idea of today being pasta day.  DH loves baked spaghetti, so I'll be making that later in the afternoon so we can enjoy it along with a side salad at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially those in Israel and Ukraine.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 25