The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday October 18th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning,

Thanks for the Daily. I don’t know how you do it Rich. I really enjoy reading all the fun facts. I like today’s quote and meal. 

I have an update on baby Murphy. They are doing cpap trials and she is tolerating short times off the vent. They are taking it very slow. Both parents are working remotely and it seems to be going ok. It is probably good for both of them to have something else to think about. 

School for DGS is out starting at noon today for the rest of the week. I will have to plan out fun things to do. 

Lots going on with our Daily friends. Prayers and well wishes for all. Have a great day. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 12

Good morning all. As always, lots going on. We are off shortly to our local pharmacy (shoppers drug mart) for our flu and Covid shots. I will cancel our November slot with our nurse practitioner. My understanding is that there are so many open time slots that people outside of the first demographic group (age, health, health care worker etc) are getting the shots (DD 52 no health issues) I surely hope this is not an indication of the winter to come. 

curious question; how many of you use your public library? Our local tv station does a survey question each night based on one of the stories. The other night the question was “do you use your public library”. I realize the results are a very small sample of the population (200,000 with 486 responding) and only representative of the people who watch CTV but only 32% said yes they use the public library. So, who here uses their public library? Just curious. It has saved me so much money over the years and now I can stream movies and tv shows from their app too. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Dinner tonight will be maple glazed salmon, scalloped potatoes, Brussels sprouts and Caesar salad with my wise Wednesday women group. 

prayers for those that need them and cheers to those celebrating or cruising!

Edited by superoma
Sp
  • Like 29

Rich @richwmn here is some information on next week's Nieuw Amsterdam cruise taken from a guest on that cruise who posted on Crew News's thread.  The ship will be at Port Everglades from Saturday until next Monday's departure.

"We wish to advise you of some changes to our scheduled itinerary. During our current voyage we experienced a technical issue with our portside Azipod propulsion system. While this in no way affects the safety of our guests or team members, which is our highest priority, it must be repaired before we can begin our next cruise. As a result, we will delay our departure from Fort Lauderdale to complete repair work until 8:00 AM on Monday, October 23.

We have revised our itinerary to reschedule our call to Grand Turk and maintain our visit to Half Moon Cay. We will no longer visit San Juan, Puerto Rico on Tuesday, October 24 or St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. on Wednesday, October 25, and have added a call to Nassau, Bahamas on Tuesday. Our revised itinerary will be as follows:

Date

Destination

Arrive

Depart

Saturday, October 21

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, U.S.

Overnight

Sunday, October 22

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, U.S.

Overnight

Monday, October 23

At Sea

8:00 AM

Tuesday, October 24

Nassau, Bahamas

5:00 PM

Wednesday, October 25

At Sea

Thursday, October 26

Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands

7:00 AM

1:00 PM

Friday, October 27

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

2:00 PM

Saturday, October 28

• Like 11
  • Thanks 9

31 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

@superoma I used my library fairly regularly until Covid shut it down; it's now reopened, but I haven't been there.

I used it a lot for work when meeting new hires and as a cooling station when our a/C was out. Also for work when our power was out.

We were able to order books and they would be put outside the library door when we showed our card and held for 3 days in quarantine when we returned them. The digital books, etc continued to be available. That service was a god send for many families with children.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Lady Hudson said:

Good morning.  Thanks to all who post and keep this thread active.  Prayers for all in need.

Very cool here and furnace has been “finicky”.  Our furnace guy gave me some things to try including changing the batteries in the thermostat.  Hoping all will return to normal.

I have decided to take the trip on Liberty of the Seas tomorrow with my twin.  Celebrating birthday on Saturday.  DD coming to stay with her Dad.  Luckily, by using the wifi on the ship, I can use wifi calling to keep in touch.  DH Bill says he is feeling fine.

On Saturday we will be in Boston and will probably stay on the ship.  Forecast is for wind and rain.  The only two ports I hope we make are Bar Harbor and St John, New Brunswick.  With a nor’easter forecast I am thinking we may have some itinerary changes.  

Have a great day.  Katherine 

Happy birthday on Saturday Katherine.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Liberty of the sea's.

happy-birthday-katherine-gif.gif

• Like 14

Good morning Daily-ites. 

Goodness, I have not been on CC much this past week with my sister here and keeping busy day and night. I'm getting pooped out but it's been so fun.

Thank you for thinking of me. Friends are coming over for a (surprise) drinks, appetizers and cake at our fireside tonight. Surprise was one friend didn't realize I was on the text and spilled the beans.

I read Vanessa's care list for updates and pray for each and every one of you. I love my Daily friends!

God bless and have a safe and happy day.

Prayers all day long for Israel. 

• Like 24

Bon Voyage @marshhawk Annie and Chuck!  Yay!!  
So many cruising, how wonderful!  
Happy Birthdays to those celebrating, and a loving day of reflection for Pauline, her brother,  and Graham. 

Prayers for all!  Roy, hoping for continued good reports!  Thankful for Debbie’s good numbers!  Hopeful for Vanessa!  
@Cruzin Terri thanks for checking in Terri. One day at a time is Everything!  
For all the procedures and recoveries 🙏. And Baby Murphy!  
And those grieving, shifting into new chapters, give yourselves time, be gentle with your heart’s feelings and your mind’s memories. Sending out Love and Light to Karen and Terry and their loved ones. 
Enjoy the grands and the trip Gerry!  Safe travels!  

We continue prep work for our move. I made different progress yesterday than I’d planned but it all has to get done. I culled out the pantry, bringing a box of foods to prayer circle tonight. Made meatloaf to have on hand while the granddaughter and her DH are here for a few days. 

I slept 8.5 hrs!  Amazing!  Blessings to you all!  And peace and healing for the messed up world around us. 🌍

Thanks All for bring here.  Onward.
Maureen 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone and happy hump day.    Thanks for the reports each day @richwmn.   Global Dignity Day is important but so much politics, tribalisms and hate make it very hard to recognize the dignity of every human being.   I finally have gotten to the point that I love my body, not much else I can do about it other than control what I eat.   Information overload is pretty easy to handle, just turn it off.   A great post by Elizabeth Kubler Ross and I think it is the foundation of our current Hospice organizations.   Thanks for the comestible reports each day.   I made Chili yesterday because John bought too much ground beef.    I had everything I needed in the house and it turned out really well, it is in the freezer for future meals.  I will pass on the Cruzin Tea, not a fan of spiced rum though today's Pinot Noir sounds lovely.   I have never been to Riga and look forward to photos of the city. 

@cruising sister Thank you for the somewhat positive update on Baby Murphy.  I am glad that her parents can work offline to be there for her.   @mamaofami I hope that your DH is in rehab and progressing.   Prayers for everyone going through different pain episodes and others in our group who need them.  @rafinmd I hope your oncology visit goes well and continued good news.   Prayers for everyone in the war zones in Israel and Ukraine.  @grapau27 thinking of you and Pauline today.  

Is is a beautiful, sunny day here and it is 40 degrees.  It is supposed to stay clear so I will be able to get my outside work done today that I have been procrastinating on because it was too cold for me.    I will just get it all in one day, fingers crossed.   John is handy so he is taking the oven apart and it appears he intends to switch out the broken panel.     I am keeping out of it but now he appears to looking at a piece of plastic that he removed and how to put it back together.    

@superoma there are many uses for public libraries besides the reading material within.   They are becoming more community hubs with meeting rooms and classes.  Our garden club has about half of our meetings in a beautiful new public library and we use that opportunity to advertise our speakers as a public service and also in attempt to increase our membership.   I have done a couple of garden related talks for a couple of public libraries over the years too.  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a sunny central Texas.  It is 51F and feels like 48F with 82% humidity and and dew point of 45F.  The high this afternoon will be 83F.  This time of year, it's hard to know whether to dress for the morning chill and change later, or dress of later in the day and hope the heater keeps the house warm enough.  Such a first world problem.  🤣 

Three interesting days to celebrate today.  Everyone should be treated with dignity no matter whether or not they deserve it.  We should all love our bodies since they are all we get.  Sometimes I think we get too much information, and at times my brain says enough, go get lost in a good book.  📚  I like the idea of chocolate cupcake day, but we still a lemon pound cake to finish.

I agree with the sentiment in today's quote.

The meal sounds good, but we still have chili leftover from the other night.  However, tonight we will finish the ribs with a couple of side dishes to be determined later.  We'll pass on the drink, but  the wine sounds nice.

We have not been to Riga, Lativa.

I'm glad Secretary of State Seward purchased Alaska, even if it was called Seward's Folly for years.  It turns out, he made a good deal for the US.  It took tax evasion to put Al Capone behind bars where he belonged.  The BBC was a great step forward in communication for Britain.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope today's procedure will relieve your pain.

@57redbird  I hope today's external nerve ablation fixes your DH's afib.

@NextOne  Edi, I hope your recovery is going smoothly.

@grapau27  Graham, I'll be thinking of you, Pauline and her brother today as you remember her lovely Mam.  I'm glad Pauline's brother is there with you.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, I hope your DH is feeling better now.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope today is a better day.

@mamaofami  Carol, I hope Sam is improving.

@HAL Sailer  Melissa, I also hope your DH i s steadily improving and is now in rehab.

@cruising sister  Lorraine, thanks for the update on Murphy.  It sounds like she is improving, but very slowly.  

@superoma  Eva, I used to use the library regularly, but when we moved to areas with small libraries if any, I stopped going.  We have a new library here, but I still need to find time to stop by and check it out.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, I'm glad you decided to go on your trip and will celebrate your birthday with your sister on Saturday.  I'm glad you DH is feeling better.

@Heartgrove  Jack, that is too bad your doctor's office never sent the orders in.

393271533_714289754065530_835232359852191628_n.thumb.jpg.83d2b680fea8447f8ea7b3ece16b05fd.jpg

387865390_894670622130832_6162063620270535672_n.jpg.847fd6922e9ae947b843ff4c0fadcb33.jpg

387795433_1928911537509743_6787498644307233834_n.thumb.jpg.a4947a9071c5c2fa3765b0a6ee442a20.jpg

384249819_759016786238875_3763274533257193118_n.jpg.7bc860e98d9d04529f11e1595b170f16.jpg

386737477_254224797605272_7612673255557063009_n.jpg.a5ed6bb57f4e2d8f70db310e1d1f6b56.jpg

366687467_837452014412598_1401895052638421576_n.thumb.jpg.f64c229761cf44d61ef50e765b9ec36c.jpg

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 17

Good Morning from a " warming" day at the beach

It is currently 67degrees but warming to 80.  It is fall after all

@SusieKIslandGirl  A very Happy Birthday to you.

@Seasick Sailor    A very Happy Birthday

May you both have many more

@superoma  Interesting survey on library use. I am on the board for our library here.  We have a very active library with many programs and classes for all ages. What is interesting is that many use the online program for ebooks.   Because we have many seniors here who prefer a book, there is a drop off and reserve where they will deliver to the car.  Our library is very active for such a small town.

Off to water aerobics

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

We spent yesterday raking leaves and it almost needs to be done again!  It sure goes faster with two of us than it does with one.  I have a busy day today coordinating with my doctor's office and prescription provider what I can substitute for my diabetes medication.  I'm sure the shortage is because of people wanting it for weight loss and I'd love some weight loss, but I'm not taking it at the dosage level for that.  But it is very effective for blood sugar control.  

The show at the Center for the Arts was very enjoyable last night.  There are a couple more coming up that I would like to see.  

Today's meal is one we had last January, but since we are now in soup and stew season it is a good idea to take another look at it.  You can put it all in the slow cooker and it will be ready when you finish raking those pesky leaves.  This one looks good with the chopped avocado on top.  https://natashaskitchen.com/slow-cooker-chili-recipe/

slowcookerbeefchili1.thumb.jpg.eee8e493cf6a9932255512f2fbe9e084.jpg

This one sounds interesting with the cocoa powder added in.  I wonder if I can leave out the sugar.  https://www.cookingclassy.com/slow-cooker-chili/

slowcookerbeefchili2.thumb.jpg.db0c3ff78296506cf5a7416c297ba2c0.jpg

This one has a great seasoning combination.  https://www.momontimeout.com/crockpot-chili-recipe/

slowcookerbeefchili3.thumb.jpeg.671fd08effcb5a732cdfedb2eda5ae24.jpeg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 8

Our local library is 12 miles away.  They just added an off site vending machine.  You order what you want from their website and it is delivered.  You use your library card to open the slot for your order.  I love it.  We take the golf cart up to get it.

• Like 24

Fantastic Hump Day to All!  Thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  Everyone deserves dignity no matter who they are!  I do love my body now but didn't for a very, very long time and TMI is something I really try to avoid now.  Kubler-Ross works were a staple in nursing school and I gladly subscribe to living her quote.  The meal sounds good, pass on the drink and wine and never been to Latvia.  What a day in history!

I had a nice visit with my PCP.  He is really a great guy and I do like him.  No change in anything but after telling him about my numbness, I will try a Medrol-pak.  If it doesn't get better, he will order an MRI.  👍  I am not a fan of daily NSAIDs so this is wonderful.  Mammo and chest CT ordered (follow ups) and labs ordered for 6 months.  I am such a carboholic but being so is probably affecting some of my labs.  Since I have gotten my flu and RSV vaccine (I am in a study), I asked him if he would recommend it.  He decidedly stated "Yes!"  He got RSV last year and he is on the younger side.  

They cancelled my subbing gig for today last night so I am just going to chill.  Need to go to the grocery store to get some fish and non-carb stuff!!  😉

Thoughts for the entire world as it seems as it is imploding.  Thanks for the update on Baby Murphy and even though I may not name you by name, I think about the dailyites who are having challenges in their lives.  Cheers for those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 24

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily.  All 3 days are worthy of note, I do appreciate the quote of the day and would say yes to the drink and wine as well!

Slept in a bit because I woke up at 4:30 thinking of all the things to get ready for us to head to Calgary tomorrow - yes, I'm excited, just like a kid at Christmas, I guess.  It's a foggy morning out there for us today - we had rain overnight and this morning we can barely see across the street.  If old wive's tales are true, we should be getting precipitation 3 months from now, about mid-January, which seems about right.   Likely a snow storm, but it'll be winter, so we just accept what's given.

@Seasick Sailor hoping you have a wonderful birthday today!

@SusieKIslandGirl wishing you a very Happy Birthday as well!

Sending good vibes to @JazzyV and @57redbird's DH as they undergo their medical procedures today.

@NextOne hoping your heart procedure went well yesterday and you'll soon be home feeling much better.

DH's daughter messaged me yesterday - she and her mother are on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  Now the daughter is a glass half empty kind of gal, so I wasn't surprised when she said she didn't think she'd ever sail HAL again because they had 3 ports cancelled and now are just going to FLL.  Well let's see, 1 was cancelled due to a hurricane, another because of political unrest, and the last because of a mechanical issue - all of which were out of HAL's control. I didn't argue with her (what's the point?), just mentioned that she's still getting her bed made, her food presented and drinks and entertainment if she wishes.   SO glad we weren't on that one with her!   This is also the same one who - after we paid to upgrade her and her DH to biz class for a flight to Europe - said she didn't really enjoy it because she couldn't get comfortable to sleep well.  You can't win.

I forgot to mention that DH and I got our 7th Covid vaccine yesterday - no issues for either of us, just like the previous 6 shots.

Lots to do today, bake the cookies, do the laundry, vacuum and dust (at least run a cloth along the surfaces) and get the house ready so it doesn't look like a tornado hit it when our neighbour comes in to feed Sochi.  DH will get the car washed and packed up for us so we can get up, shower and hit the road tomorrow morning.  

I like the meal suggestion, and will likely make a crock pot full of it when we're in Calgary, but we'll be eating out of the fridge for tonight, so it's looking like we'll be having salmon sandwiches and vegetable soup at the kitchen table this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially those in war-torn countries.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 27