Winning over a skeptical first time cruiser

Coldwake

I wouldnt do a guarantee either . You might end under the pool deck and they drag chairs around up there early morning.  ( So  i have heard from other pax as i would never end up there.)

A more peaceful cabin would be one where you have cabins above and below you.

And i would pick Wonder too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coldwake said:

o answer some of the questions- I've only cruised once before.  It was a Princess Cruises (Sun princess when it was brand new in 1999 and 77.5k was a huge ship) and I was a senior in HS.  So to say things have changed is an understatement.

So basically a first time cruiser. 😀

Just kidding, I took my first cruise when I was in my mid-40's and by day 3, I turned to my wife & asked why haven't we be doing this our entire lives.  Booked another cruise right away for 6 months later.

Of course, I have friends that I was sure would've loved to cruise and were bored by day 3 or said "glad we did it but it's one and done for us".

I don't think you can go wrong with either option. Your family with be Wow'd or not on either ship.  If you think 7 days would be too long or the Wonder too overwhelming, then the Indy is not a bad alternative. My only advice would be to "downgrade" to a regular balcony cabin to save some money to make it more cost competitive. You can always put that savings towards the next cruise. 🙂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

So basically a first time cruiser. 😀

Just kidding, I took my first cruise when I was in my mid-40's and by day 3, I turned to my wife & asked why haven't we be doing this our entire lives.  Booked another cruise right away for 6 months later.

Of course, I have friends that I was sure would've loved to cruise and were bored by day 3 or said "glad we did it but it's one and done for us".

I don't think you can go wrong with either option. Your family with be Wow'd or not on either ship.  If you think 7 days would be too long or the Wonder too overwhelming, then the Indy is not a bad alternative. My only advice would be to "downgrade" to a regular balcony cabin to save some money to make it more cost competitive. You can always put that savings towards the next cruise. 🙂

My first cruise was to celebrate my 30th.birthday.I loved the cruise but not my wife.The next cruise was for her 50th.birthday,same reaction as the first cruise.The next cruise for her retirement.We both loved it and averaged 3 a year from then on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Td6462 said:

As a dad of a 5 year old I would absolutely choose Wonder. The on board splash pad and "kid activities" are worth it. As stated above 7 nights over 5 every time! Sometimes 7 nights feels like it's just getting started before it's time to line up the bags in the hallway. 

I did a four-day on navigator back in August. All day, on the fourth day, I kept thinking “ it can’t be over yet.”

• Like 1

Another vote for independence in the GS given the young kids. Personally my favorite is Oasis class, I’ve never stayed in a suite (and frequently do insides or neighborhood balconies), and prefer 7 or 8 night cruises over 5 nights BUT I can’t imagine choosing one little balcony room when traveling with small kids over a 1 bedroom suite when trying to WOW Mom since the budget allows. (Now if she’s more impressed with bargains there’s nothing wrong with a balcony room). 

Also I recommend making sure the balcony guarantee on Wonder that it is an ocean balcony guarantee if you are counting on an ocean view—on Royal’s website it will potentially (likely) be a neighborhood balcony—

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, DoraDee622 said:

I feel like a lot of you all have never cruised with two kids 5 and under!

Adults only cruise - 7 days all the way!

With young kids - 5 days would be plenty, especially factoring in an extra day (or two) for traveling

Well at least now I know I'm not crazy for some of my thoughts.  When we did a long weekend at an indoor waterpark/hotel this past winter even that seemed like a long time and we were ready to go home by the end!  lol

I wonder if some people might be underestimating the advantage the space of 300-400 sq ft, a bathtub, and a bit more separated sleeping area would be.  Although the JS gets me the space, while paying a little bit less. (and foregoes the other suite benefits).

19 minutes ago, wrldtrvllr said:

Another vote for independence in the GS given the young kids. Personally my favorite is Oasis class, I’ve never stayed in a suite (and frequently do insides or neighborhood balconies), and prefer 7 or 8 night cruises over 5 nights BUT I can’t imagine choosing one little balcony room when traveling with small kids over a 1 bedroom suite when trying to WOW Mom since the budget allows. (Now if she’s more impressed with bargains there’s nothing wrong with a balcony room). 

Also I recommend making sure the balcony guarantee on Wonder that it is an ocean balcony guarantee if you are counting on an ocean view—on Royal’s website it will potentially (likely) be a neighborhood balcony—

You make a good point about the GTY.  I saw that only 3rd party companies will do the OVB guarantees, as the RCCL website only does the generic balcony guarantees.

And the suite isn't so much about the wow factor for my wife (I'll let the cruise as a whole do that), it's more about the space and the conveniences like the ones I mentioned w/ the concierge and stuff.  Easier it is to manage the kiddos, the more likely it is she'll be able to relax and enjoy herself.

Thank you again everyone for all the great thoughts and suggestions!   Feel free to add on any more you can think of!

Edited by Coldwake

5 hours ago, DoraDee622 said:

I'll be the opposing viewpoint. 

I just got off the Wonder with my 6 & 8 year old. They absolutely loved everything about it, but it was a lot and the crowds were a bit overwhelming to me at times. I would have been happy with 5 days. 7 days was definitely a long time, and my kids are a bit older than yours will be. 

We also spent a lot more time in the room than I anticipated due to very necessary naps (sometimes multiple), so I was glad we had a Junior Suite as a balcony might have felt a bit cramped.

The Wonder is an amazing ship, but I think for a first experience with young children, you could definitely go smaller/simpler and still have the "WOW" factor. 

Necessary for you or the kiddos ? 😏

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Is 7 night in an OVB guarantee on Indy not an option?  That'd be a full week + a lower price.  OR, if Indy's only offering short sailings, consider a Back-to-Back; that is, staying onboard for a second trip.  

We sailed Indy recently and LOVED IT.  It does not feel "older" in any way ... it has Playmakers and Fish & Ships, things my husband and I like a lot.  Lots for kids to do, and your kids are both old enough for the kids' club.  

I'm sailing Wonder for the first time soon, but can't give personal opinions at the moment.  

You'll have to fly?  It makes little sense to fly in for less than a week. 

And you absolutely need a night-before hotel.  

Thought 1:  Prepping for a cruise with small children is absolutely work.  Packing is a real chore.  If you want to "win her over", do your share. 

Thought 2:  One of the first things you must do on Day 1 is register your kids for the Kids' Club.  They'll love it, and that'll give you a break from child care.  You can even drop them off to have dinner with their little friends, while you two have a meal to yourselves.  

Thought 3:  Choose your excursions with children carefully.  Don't do something that'll be overly taxing.  

Thought 1:  That Kids Sail Free Promotion is available about every other week.  My children are adults now, but I think I see it all the time.  

Thought 2:  Having the kids in the same "club" is a worthwhile endeavor.  

Disagree.  We enjoy all sorts of rooms -- depends upon the specific cruise, the length of the cruise, who's traveling with us, etc. 

When our kids were small, we always sailed in a balcony -- our theory being that it was the cheapest way to get an extra "room".  Once they were teens (and our salaries were larger), we started doing connecting rooms.  Now that we're empty nesters, we mostly sail in insides. 

One of the things I like best about how we raised our children is that they appreciate what they have /don't waste time wishing they were doing something more fancy.  They are happy /know how to behave at a 5-star oceanfront resort -- but they are also happy camping in a national park.  

Totally.  I'd take 2 extra days over those small benefits 100Xs.  

Specific thoughts: 

- Because we have a long drive ahead of us, we always do Self-Disembarkation.  We get in line just before 7:00 and are typically in our car headed north around 7:30.  Admittedly, it'll be harder with small children.  Something I saw on a recent cruise that made me say, "That family's got its act together" -- a father was pulling a collapsable wagon that contained two toddler boys + a couple backpacks, while mom followed (carrying an infant) walked behind watching the boys.  I'm sure they used that wagon for beach days too.  If I still had small children, I'd totally board with a wagon.  

- If I had small children again, I'd plan to take them to the MDR maybe 2Xs for dinner.  To emphasize nice manners, let them feel they were doing something special.  I'd put them in the kids' club so my husband and I could have an alone dinner a couple times.  And I'd go to the buffet for most dinners -- easier with small children.  

- You might consider taking the kids to the MDR for lunches on Sea Days.  Still white table cloths and service (and the lessons for children that come with all that), but it's faster.  When my girls were young, we practiced at home before a cruise -- talked about sitting quietly, speaking up in a big girl voice when the waiter asks what you want, etc.  

- On a recent cruise I went to a show alone, and I claimed a seat up in the balcony.  After I was seated, I realized I was in the "reserved seating".  I looked around and noticed some people I'd spoken to earlier /knew weren't in a suite.  They were in the same area.  No one was monitoring.  And they weren't superior seats.    

- You might have trouble with seats at the Ice Show or the Comedy Show -- if you try to show up at the last minute.  

- Free luggage valet?  You can drop off your suitcases before boarding, and they go to your room -- no charge.  If you want them hauled off the ship, that's no charge as well -- though you then have to search through a sea of all-black luggage to find your stuff. 

I was going to say the same thing!  

Disagree.  Unless you're booking a year or more out and can snag a really prime aft balcony, I would rather save /let them pick my room.  The savings are real.  We've never been disappointed in our room.  We usually end up mid-ship on Deck 6, which isn't a particularly popular deck, but it's our favorite now because it's only one floor up from the Promenade.  

We never use room service, but we usually do bring some ziplocks so we can keep cheese and crackers (from the buffet) in our room.  

You could order a lot of room service with the price difference between a balcony and a suite.  

As someone who values the seemingly lost art of at least trying to have your kids well mannered and behaved I loved hearing some of the ideas you threw forward here . Good on ya

Mine are now 24 and 21 and while far from perfect we did our best

Cheers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, loman said:

I wouldnt do a guarantee either . You might end under the pool deck and they drag chairs around up there early morning. 

That's what people always say, but remember that very few rooms are actually in that position.  Personally, we go with a guarantee almost every time, and we've always "won".  We even had an upgrade on our last cruise.  

4 hours ago, wrldtrvllr said:

(Now if she’s more impressed with bargains there’s nothing wrong with a balcony room).

You bring up a good point:  People are impressed by different things. 

4 hours ago, Coldwake said:

And the suite isn't so much about the wow factor for my wife (I'll let the cruise as a whole do that), it's more about the space and the conveniences like the ones I mentioned w/ the concierge and stuff.  

If you go with the suite, do it for the extra space ... not for the conveniences /perks, which are of questionable value.  

If space is a big concern, you might consider two connecting insides (or two connecting ocean views ... I personally would not put the kids in a balcony without an adult, as the 5-year old will be able to open the sliding door).  This would give you a lot more space than the suite + two bathrooms.  You can have the kids' beds split into twins.  Of course, you'd miss the "wow" of the balcony.  

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

As someone who values the seemingly lost art of at least trying to have your kids well mannered and behaved I loved hearing some of the ideas you threw forward here . Good on ya

Aww, thanks.  I'll throw out another idea:  When my kids were small, I used to make them homemade coloring books before we took a trip.  I'm no artist, but I'd draw pictures and write out what we'd do /what I expected of them. 

As they colored, we'd talk about what we'd pack, how long we'd drive (or fly), where we'd sleep, what kind of food we'd have, and my expectations for behavior.  They ALWAYS behaved better when I took time to do this -- it gave them the tools to understand.  

• Thanks 1

I have cruised on both ships three times this year (three 7 day cruises on Wonder and three 4 day cruises on Independence). While I like both ships, Wonder would be an easy choice if I was trying to get someone hooked on cruising. Wonder has a wow factor that is second to none in my book, although that will hopefully change with Icon. 

• Thanks 1

I love grand suites have done freedom class a couple of times in grand, perks not as good as oasis class, but love pool seating , concierge to help with anything priority embarking and disembarking, 3 hour happy hour each night , superior cabin , including double sinks in bathroom. Breakfast in specialty restaurant normally chops.

Edited by George C
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Coldwake said:

The Perfect Day seems like the absolute best port for young kids.  I've been to Cozumel and Costa Maya for all inclusives before, so I'm familiar with potential excursions or things to do there and think I can find good things to do with the kids.  Roatan, not as sure

In Costa Maya, you can look into Maya Chan (https://costamayabeachresort.com/)... each group gets their own palapa, and it's a private beach (so nobody pestering you offering massages, selling trinkets, etc.), and it's never crowded because they stop taking reservations when all the palapas are spoken for.  If you let them know in advance, you can get chicken nuggets or hot dogs or something for the kids instead of the fresh-grilled taco bar.  

For Roatan, if you want a relaxing day, get yourself a private driver to take you to a beach club. I've probably used Let's Go Roatan (https://letsgoroatantours.com/) a dozen times.  The kids can swim in the ocean, build sandcastles, etc.  

As others have said, I think Wonder is going to work fine for you.  With the OVB, you and the wife can sit out on the balcony while the kids nap during the day.  The carousel, splash zone, etc., will make the whole thing more fun for the kids.  And the Aqua Theater and Ice Skating shows will definitely bring the WOW! factor.  

FWIW, I cruised with my son at 3yo and 4yo a couple decades ago (before splash pads and carousels and ice skating shows), and the cruise can be as busy or as relaxing as you want to make it.  He loved getting dressed up to go to dinner (he already knew "restaurant manners" as we ate out a lot at home), and he found fun in the most obscure places. 

One afternoon he and I ended up in a mostly-empty lounge, and our cocktail waitress from the MDR was working there.  She doted on him and he was a little bit in love with her... she gave him a little paper umbrella in his drink and he spent the better part of an hour climbing up on a bar stool and dropping the umbrella and watching it drift to the floor.  At the end of our cruise, she gave him a whole package of drink umbrellas; twenty years later, and that's still a fond memory for me. 

If you do choose Wonder, do NOT try to do everything on the ship -- you'll wear yourselves out for sure.  Do what interests you most, and tell yourself you can take another cruise to try the things you didn't have time for.

Edited by brillohead
  • Thanks 1

My husband boarded his first cruise (and our daughter's first cruise - she was 9 months at the time) thinking that he would probably like cruising but wasn't sure. It was definitely the Grand Suite and suite perks that won him over (we were on Voyager of the Seas and Royal Up'd into the suite). He especially loved the happy hour. We would change into slightly dressier clothes at night and go get a couple drinks before dinner, with snacks for the little one, and there were a lot of grandparent-age folks in there that would absolutely fawn over the baby. The concierge was helpful in several regards, and the priority boarding and disembarkation were a huge help (the concierge walked us all the way off the ship straight to our luggage and then helped us carry it all the way to the taxi line! but that was probably unusual). The last morning breakfast in Chops was also super relaxing. We did 7 nights (plus a night in Copenhagen either end) and it was not enough. Our upcoming cruise is in an interior guarantee, so we'll see if he still likes cruising without the suite perks lol.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, brillohead said:

...he found fun in the most obscure places. 

One afternoon he and I ended up in a mostly-empty lounge, and our cocktail waitress from the MDR was working there.  She doted on him and he was a little bit in love with her... she gave him a little paper umbrella in his drink and he spent the better part of an hour climbing up on a bar stool and dropping the umbrella and watching it drift to the floor.  At the end of our cruise, she gave him a whole package of drink umbrellas; twenty years later, and that's still a fond memory for me. 

I think this cuts to the heart of the matter, and goes right along with what Mum2Mercury and wrldtrvllr were saying about the "wow" factor.  In our case, the newest or biggest ship isn't going to sway my wife, it'll be the little things about a vacation that is easy and we can all have fun as a family (the argument has been made though that Wonder generally will have the most to offer in that regard - minus the conveniences/space of the suite).   As for the girls, at 3 and 5 years old, remember this is the age where you buy them a power-wheel car or a fancy play kitchen and in the end they play with the box instead.  😂    If they stay busy and entertained and get to learn and experience new things, that'll be the best treat for Mom and Dad and will allow us to really enjoy our vacation as well.

• Like 1

First of all, let me say that we have sailed on both Oasis class (not Wonder) and Freedom class and love both.  I think you will be happy with either, but strongly recommend the Independence of the Seas.

Last spring we sailed on a 4-nighter on the Independence with 8 people, including 5 and 7 year old boys. The boys had been on Disney a couple of times when younger, and we were concerned they would be disappointed in Indy.  They were not.  They didn't use the Adventure Ocean at all, because they were not impressed at open house. Most kids seem to love it, though  They spent a lot of time at "their" pool, playing mini-golf, etc.  They loved Coco Cay, but asked to go back to the ship for lunch.  Our suite concierge (Carlos) was really great with them.

I would highly recommend the GS on Indy vs. balcony on Wonder,  If you compare the cabins, you will see a big difference in size and comfort.  Our boys (or maybe it was really their parents) needed the extra space in the Grand Suite.  When the younger one needed some down-time, his mother took advantage of fee-less room service from the dining room.  They ate at the table on the balcony.

I don't  know if you said or anyone mentioned it, but your 3-year-old will need to be potty trained to use the kids programs and Splashaway Bay.

Keep in mind, too, that if you want to see shows on an Oasis Class ship, it is highly recommended that you make reservations.  That is a problem for some.  A first-time cruiser may find that overwhelming,.

Since your Indy cruise is 5 nights, there is a chance you will be invited to a mini-tour of the bridge, galley or other location, again at no additional charge.  I was told they start those at 5-nights.

On both ships, Johnny Rockets is included for breakfast, but there is a charge for lunch and dinner and shakes.  We tended to eat at the buffet at breakfast and lunch and the MDR at night.  The servers were great with the boys, understanding that some kids are picky eaters, and made sure they got their food early.

Overall, they are both great ships, but I would recommend Independence for you

• Thanks 1

Indy would make a first great cruise.  We have cruised with under 5 grands for 7 days. By the end of the week they were exhausted.  The kids area and pools will be great on Indy too.  You will be thankful for the bigger room and space to just be in the suite. The entertainment is not as wow but is still very good.  You won’t need reservations for shows.  Free room service is a nice plus.  Oasis class are great ships but they are big with long waits for elevators, waits for shows etc.  I’d start with Indy in a suite.  But Wonder would be great too. 

• Thanks 1

Just a couple thoughts.

Independence-The kids splash pad on Independence is very similar to the ones on the Oasis class. They could be the same size. They won’t be missing out.( I have not been on Wonder, though. However if the Independence doesn’t go to Coco Cay, I’d have to think about it. Your family would be missing the Oasis lagoon pool with zero entry , a free kids water park, and the pirate ship.The chairs, umbrellas, bathrooms, and buffet would probably be more impressive to adults. 

Thoughts on Wonder. You and your wife could purchase the Key. This would give you priority boarding, lunch in a designated dining room offering a modified Chops steakhouse menu, reserved show seating, two internet packages, and some other perks. There is no charge for the kids due to their ages.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

Grand Suites and above get Room Service from the Main Dining Room Menu.  You & your children, never have to eat outside the Suite!

There is no dining table in grand suites, if you book owners suite you have one , room service can be slow and food could be cold, but I guess MDR isn’t much better.

19 minutes ago, George C said:

There is no dining table in grand suites, if you book owners suite you have one , room service can be slow and food could be cold, but I guess MDR isn’t much better.

What I do, is more the outside table in and put a table cloth on it.

Edited by gkbiiii
  • Like 2