Carnival’s Paparazzi

tx121

On our last cruise on the Carnival Venezia, it seemed like the photographers were more aggressive than the local taxi drivers in Nassau trying to sell you a island tour. 
Yes there is probably a quota each photographer has to make in order to keep their job, but it seemed very overwhelming where a no thank you wasn’t enough to turn them away. They would keep insisting, especially once you walk off the gangway in to the port. In my opinion, I feel most people won’t buy random pictures they didn’t want to take in the first place. 
Nowadays, Everyone has a camera on their phone and can take their own photos. Prices have become very expensive and I doubt a picture with a giant towel animal is a popular sale. Has anyone else experienced the aggressive behavior of the paparazzi on other ships recently?

13 minutes ago, tx121 said:

On our last cruise on the Carnival Venezia, it seemed like the photographers were more aggressive than the local taxi drivers in Nassau trying to sell you a island tour. 
Yes there is probably a quota each photographer has to make in order to keep their job, but it seemed very overwhelming where a no thank you wasn’t enough to turn them away. They would keep insisting, especially once you walk off the gangway in to the port. In my opinion, I feel most people won’t buy random pictures they didn’t want to take in the first place. 
Nowadays, Everyone has a camera on their phone and can take their own photos. Prices have become very expensive and I doubt a picture with a giant towel animal is a popular sale. Has anyone else experienced the aggressive behavior of the paparazzi on other ships recently?

They are certainly out on force, but a simple no thanks works wonders.  There is obviously demand, hence the reason they are there.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 5

Those are the photos I like to buy. I have photos of us as we get off the ship with their sign showing the name of the location, photos of us around the ship and in the main dining room, and even with the towel animal. I love the photos that show the fun we are having on a cruise. I don't really like the photos taken in front of the backdrops on formal night. I can have those done at local photo studios.

• Like 2

I was told years ago that they get paid based on the number of photos they take, so I take the 20 seconds and let them take it. You may get some more aggressive ones due to this, but I agree with Jimbo, just keep walking or a simple no thanks.

It has always been a push for photos when getting off the ship.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Out of Iowa said:

Kudos to Carnival that all of those photographs are no longer printed for display in the Photo Gallery.  All that wasted photographic paper, chemicals, etc. used to bother me immensely. 

Not all ships have the digital photos only. I just came off the Sunshine two weeks ago and all the photos were printed out. The one ship I did sail on where everything was digital and done by facial recognition, it was hit or miss. Many of our photos never showed up in my hub app. And we had pics of other people show up. We also had a large group cruising together. So group pics would show up in some people’s hub app and not others. It felt very clunky! 

I also wish Carnival would put some better photo packages out. The prices are high and discounts for buying more aren’t great. Packages to get all of your digital prints would be great! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Out of Iowa said:

Kudos to Carnival that all of those photographs are no longer printed for display in the Photo Gallery.  All that wasted photographic paper, chemicals, etc. used to bother me immensely. 

I was on 3 cruises on the Pride this past summer, and photos were printed and displayed.   

I don't like having my picture taken and tend to avoid photographers on board and on the dock.   The one time I let a photographer take a couple shots, while I was relaxing around the pool, I was never able to find it in on the racks of printed photos.  I am sure I looked terrible as I usually do in photos.  🤪

I took more pictures than ever last time and there is something to be said about a professional!

I could have bought everyone, so I got 1 nice glossy 8x10! 

Last cruise we bought the one getting off in Aruba - we were on our way to purchase my engagement ring.  We had BIG smiles.  🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tx121 said:

What a way to stop, smile, and take a photo and enjoy your day

• Like 1

On the Spirit, the photographers seemed to have a problem with the word, NO.  I finally had enough one day and just went off on them, saying, "Are you f$%&ing kidding me?  What part of no don't you understand?  Get the f*%&k away from me!"

4 hours ago, Cushing985 said:

On the Spirit, the photographers seemed to have a problem with the word, NO.  I finally had enough one day and just went off on them, saying, "Are you f$%&ing kidding me?  What part of no don't you understand?  Get the f*%&k away from me!"

Wow, a little extreme don't ya think.

If i had been walking by I would had simalar words to say to you.

• Like 1

Yeah, we've noticed uber aggressive port-side photogs on our last few sailings. 4 times out of 5, a simple smiling "ah, no thanks" while we keep walking still suffices. But, recently there have been instances (4 that I remember) where the photogs went into a back pedal in front of us as we were walking away to get a snapshot. It's weird.

On the flip-side, we used get a lot of hard-sells from photogs at dinner that would require a mini conversation before they would move on. We haven't experienced that recently.

4 hours ago, Cushing985 said:

You seem like a perfect candidate for anger management therapy!

• Like 1

I’m not thrilled to get my picture taken either.  In fact, I hate it. However, I’ve heard that the photographers get credit or have a quota they’re trying to make.   Maybe that’s not true?  

At any rate, despite me looking like a bag lady, I still stop for a photo occasionally.  They almost look relieved. I tell them that it will increase my chances for buying if it’s in black and white and they sometimes accommodate.  

I don't like any during dinner and decline all of those now. 

However, if we are not rushing anywhere, we almost always stop and get a pic or two taken. I have a beautiful collection of family photos from when my sons were teenagers and now some great ones of my husband and me. Would never have them otherwise. 

I have always found it easy to say "no, thanks" ...

• Like 2

I also don't care for the ones during dinner, but getting off in port, if we aren't in a hurry, which is most times, we let them take a few.

A couple of times, I could tell that some weren't getting many takers, and they appreciated that we stopped. One young kid said that it was his first cruise and wanted the practice and couldn't thank us enough.

• Like 1

Two points. First, we have made it a game on certain cruises to successfully avoid having a single photo of us even taken! Second, it is a bit of a pet peeve of mine when photographers are literally stopping people on the gangway leading down from the ship to the pier, thus stopping dead in its tracks the entire port disembarkation process. I find it rude and an intrusion on my time as I wait for that photo shoot to take place. Most often it's not the Blue Card's fault as they are simply accommodating the request. That responsibility falls squarely on the photographer. There's nothing wrong at all with those same folks posing behind the ship wheel once down on the dock when others can simply walk by.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jsglow said:

it is a bit of a pet peeve of mine when photographers are literally stopping people on the gangway leading down from the ship to the pier, thus stopping dead in its tracks the entire port disembarkation process.

We've never seen this. The photographers we've seen have always been well clear of the gangway.

• Like 2