Live Blog. October 28th, Mexican Rivera on Eclipse. A cruise of many firsts.....

calicakes

Gonna follow along.  We just got off the Eclipse this morning.  All new menus starting today bringing back most of the old classics!! We missed it by leaving last week.  Oh well.

Hope you have a great experience, because our sailing the food was terrible.  Cold meals almost every night, weird sauces, and just not the X of the past.

The Oceanview Cafe was serving Bologna, Mortadella, and something that was supposed to be ham.  I would not given my dog the so called ham.  Hoping things turn around for you and your wife on your sailing as we have always loved X.  Gonna keep watching to read about positive changes so we can continue to enjoy X as much as we us too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

First night is usually lax because some passengers "may not have received their luggage yet".

We found it to be the norm every night.  "Welcome" was how everyone is greeted and even in shorts and flip flops just this last week, every night.  We were told that they don't want to offend anyone as Royal Caribbean (parent company) allows it so we want our guests from Royal to feel welcome on X as well.

Dinner in MDR was better than I expected. Julie had pork schnitzel Substituting mashed potatoes and vegetable for the cabbage and german potato salad. I have the lemon herb roasted chicken with rigatoni. I only eat white meat so do not eat the thigh leg portion. This was tasty and the chicken was not dry. I also had the tiny  shrimp cocktail.

20231028_175046.jpg

• Like 11

Since this is our first time ever eating in the MDR, I have nothing to compare it to.  There was a note in the room suggesting that if we had anytime dining, we should arrive at 5:15-5:45 as they would be very busy.  We arrived at 5:15.  We waited until 5:30 and we seated at a 2 top next to the window.  There were a lot of already very intoxicated people waiting for tables( and they were very loud).   Julie and I don't drink by choice. We're not recovery alcoholics.  Both of us have parents that were alcoholics/addicts and we both do not even like the taste of alcohol.    When we're around super intoxicated people we notice it more than the average person.  

Service was efficient and friendly.  Everyone has been super friendly so far. The head maître d' came over to introduce himself.  I really can't say I've ever had bad service on a X cruise. 

A few things I've noticed.  In Blu, the bread basket is filled with an assortment of a many different types of rolls, focaccia and breadsticks.( at least it was the last time we sailed AQ), this bread basket had two tiny soft rolls, some sliced bread and a few breadsticks.   The French onion soup was under seasoned.  I'd rather add a bit of salt than have it be too salty.   

The tables are really close together, when I got up from the table, I felt like I was almost in the next tables lap.  LOL.  

We asked the host to please put us in a 5:30 dinner reservation nightly.  We're early to bed, early to rise and we don't like to eat late.   

Oh, I forgot to mention my lunch.  I had some Dal and curried veggies for lunch from OV.  I asked for some Raita( yogurt sauce) to go with it.  They usually serve that with Indian food.  They didn't have any and apologized for it.  The head chef passed our table, I mentioned it to him and he said they always have it in the back and I can always ask for it.  Nice.   

Our room attendant also brought me an extension cord so I can use my laptop from bed.  Also very nice.  So far, a successful first day.  The toilet works fine too.*see 6 day cruise vlog )

Since I woke up at 3:30am, I'll be going to sleep early.  See you tomorrow.   

• Like 10

8 hours ago, calicakes said:

The lasagna had meat.  My wife said it was good.  My chicken was dry.   

When Julie went home this morning, she was able to grab our sea sickness patches.  The sea sickness pill make me too sleepy.   I took a bonine before a cruise from Ft. Meyers to Key West and I felt drugged when I got off in Key West.  

We had rough seas on that catamaran, but what a bummer that you felt drugged. Glad to hear the patches work well for you and are now in your possession.

That’s exciting, to go back to an old favorite for breakfast on embarkation day! 

We’ve almost always had wonderful luck in the main dining rooms of Celebrity, with three out of five specialties a big disappointment, so I hope you’ll be matching my experience.

Last two cruises not as good as first 19, but hopefully things will be turning back around again now.

13 hours ago, May B said:

We’ve almost always had wonderful luck in the main dining rooms of Celebrity, with three out of five specialties a big disappointment, so I hope you’ll be matching my experience.

Last two cruises not as good as first 19, but hopefully things will be turning back around again now.

So far, so good. 

• Like 2

I slept like a ROCK!!  

Up at 6am, we had breakfast in OV.  I love grits and was looking forward to them, but alas they were very undercooked.  I mentioned it to one of the employees( wearing a suit), he asked me for my room number.  My omelet was cooked just as I asked.  No strawberry jam, only orange marmalade.  

Since we drove to the port, I brought my own organic half and half and a quart of real( not UHT) non-fat milk.  I drink iced coffee daily.  I made it at home, bottled it up in empty coke bottles and those are sitting in the fridge.  Its the little things for me.  

Weather is looking iffy for sitting by the pool.  We'll probably go to Trivia at 10..  Julie wants to play open pickleball at noon.  I hope she can find folks to play with. 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, calicakes said:

Not going to lie, I am probably a bit pickier than your average cruiser.  I'm a baker( I've worked as a pastry chef) so none of the desserts are up to my standards.  I've stopped trying any of them at the buffet.  I might get a smidge of bread pudding as a dessert or I tend to make a float with coke zero and vanilla ice cream.  I usually come home a couple pounds lighter.  

So happy to follow along.     Always look forward to one of your Live Posts.

As for Deserts in OVC.    Check it out you may be surprised.   Recently they have had some surprisingly good deserts -  Usually near the front door where they have a specialty desert bar that changes daily.    They have had a Build your Own (actually done by a attendant to your specifications) Banana Split, Black Forest Cake as well as Churros.    They also had a Pasteis deNata (Portuguese Custard Tart) that was actually well executed.   

• Like 3

18 hours ago, calicakes said:

Is there a plug behind the bed? We like to watch movies on the laptop?

There is usually a 220V plug that the lamps are plugged into -  your laptop should handle it if you have an adapter.   Otherwise do what I do and ask for an extension Cord.   

6 minutes ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

Finally got the photo of the "ham" that is being served in the Oceanview Cafe.  Sorry, but this is what you would expect from Carnival, NOT X

IMG_7837.jpeg

totally yuck!  

dh made a great ham two days ago and  we now have leftovers for  bkfst and lunch..looks nothing like that