Advantage of Chops on Day 1?

surgie

We (family of 11 - 6 adults and 5 kids ages 5-11) are considering Chops for lunch on our embarkation day. There is a slight discount for C&A members now. We'd need to split into 2 groups which is fine. But I'm wondering a couple things...the first available reservation is 12:00 noon. Is it likely we'd be boarded by then and ready to go to lunch? We are in JS so I think have an earlier boarding time. Is it "significantly better" (subjective I know) to do a specialty lunch on sailing day vs Windjammer? I know the kids will be excited and want to explore the ship so I don't want to have long sit down lunch. Advice please.

4 minutes ago, surgie said:

I know the kids will be excited and want to explore the ship so I don't want to have long sit down lunch.

With a JS you can check in and board almost as soon as boarding starts and can avoid most of the rush at the WJ. If you really want to do Chops for lunch, do it on a day when you have plenty of time.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, surgie said:

We (family of 11 - 6 adults and 5 kids ages 5-11) are considering Chops for lunch on our embarkation day. There is a slight discount for C&A members now. We'd need to split into 2 groups which is fine. But I'm wondering a couple things...the first available reservation is 12:00 noon. Is it likely we'd be boarded by then and ready to go to lunch? We are in JS so I think have an earlier boarding time. Is it "significantly better" (subjective I know) to do a specialty lunch on sailing day vs Windjammer? I know the kids will be excited and want to explore the ship so I don't want to have long sit down lunch. Advice please.

I like this plan. 

Over the years, we have gone from (on boarding day) fighting the WJ crowds to the Unlimited Dining Package (meaning a specialty meal upon boarding) BACK to fighting the WJ crowds finally to end up with a limited dining package + 2 BOGO meals throughout the week and a pre-purchased specialty dining meal on boarding day (which is your proposal).

I am probably not the best model to follow as I absolutely loathe buffets and anything to do with buffets so almost anything is preferable to the WJ to me.  We found that the UDP is just TOO much food but with a nice quiet meal on boarding day and then some specialty dining sprinkled throughout the week, it is the perfect combination, IMO.

Since you are in a JS, assuming you arrive at the terminal close to boarding time, you should have no problem whatsoever making a noon Chops meal.  Is it significantly better ?  Better than what ?  The WJ ?  Yes.  Is it a 5 star steak house ?  No.  ...but having a quiet, enjoyable meal after the mania of boarding is a nice reprieve.  By the time you finish your meal it is likely that the rooms will be ready or nearly ready.  It's a nice way to pass the time.

• Like 3

I would look at the lunch menu at Chops and then decide if you and the kids would like that kind of food when boarding the ship the first day.

Even at reduced rate it  still might not be something the kids like.

• Like 1

Adding to what @Jimbo said, also see if there is any other restaurant offering boarding day lunch with a menu you prefer. For example, I have a choice of either Chops or Jamies on my next cruise so I chose Jamies since I prefer that menu to Chops.

I only recently started doing boarding day speciality lunch and I much prefer it to battling the crowds in the WJ.

• Like 1

Yes you will be able to board early so a 12:00 appointment will be fine and yes it is a much better way to start the cruise than the chaos of the Windjammer on embarkation day. There are only two of us usually but this is what we do on embarkation day.

• Like 3

Good luck finding more than 1 specialty dining restaurant open for embarkation lunch.  I have never seen more than 1 open.  Normally that choice is Chops or Chops...but for some reason, the specialty restaurant open for embarkation lunch on Freedom is Giovanni's Kitchen.  I too would prefer another option other than Chops (not particularly fond of steak for lunch - too heavy - I usually get some soup and something lighter than steak) but it's very difficult to find anything OTHER than Chops unless you're on an O/Q class which blows this entire theory up. Then there are usually some other options.

• Like 1

If your party was all adults, the Chops plan would sound great.  With so many kids, it is less certain.  So kids would enjoy a leisurely meal at Chops as soon as they board while others kids would probably be antsy.  As you seem to think the kids will want to explore, I’d go to WJ before it fills and perhaps select a different day in Chops.

• Like 1

I may not be the best opinion here, since we try to avoid WJ the whole cruise if we can?!? But, i would vote for lunch anywhere other than WJ on embarkation day. It is usually crazy busy, with people dragging around their carry-ons and sitting until the rooms are ready (so few tables available). We will opt for either a specialty restaurant or any other venue that's open, like hamburger or pizza or sandwich options? You don't mention which ship you're on, but there are often other choices (like Park Cafe or Solarium (i think??) Once the rooms are open and people start spreading out, you'll have plenty of food opportunities! No one has ever gone hungry on a cruise.... 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, surgie said:

yes.  We are in a JS now on the Vision.  We had a 1215 pm reservation day 1. Easily made it.  Fwiw, we have done this 3x now with the suites and it's nice.  WJ is a chaotic whirlwind and hateful at that time.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

If your party was all adults, the Chops plan would sound great.  With so many kids, it is less certain.  So kids would enjoy a leisurely meal at Chops as soon as they board while others kids would probably be antsy.  As you seem to think the kids will want to explore, I’d go to WJ before it fills and perhaps select a different day in Chops.

Thanks - I'll let the parents make the final choice as to if the kids can handle it 🙂 

4 hours ago, RFerrington said:

...but it's very difficult to find anything OTHER than Chops unless you're on an O/Q class which blows this entire theory up. Then there are usually some other options.

We are on Radiance....You are correct - the speciality choices for lunch on Day 1 are Chops or Chops. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, surgie said:

Thanks - I'll let the parents make the final choice as to if the kids can handle it 🙂 

I did not want to imply the kids could not handle an embarkation meal at Chops.😉  My question was whether they’d really enjoy the long meal right then or be itching to explore.  I meant take the personalities and past cruise experiences into account.😀

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

I did not want to imply the kids could not handle an embarkation meal at Chops.😉  

Totally understood - and I meant the parents can decide if the kids would rather explore and "enjoy" the buffet 🥴. This is a first cruise for all of the kids and 2 of the adults so anything is possible! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Good luck finding more than 1 specialty dining restaurant open for embarkation lunch.  I have never seen more than 1 open.  Normally that choice is Chops or Chops...but for some reason, the specialty restaurant open for embarkation lunch on Freedom is Giovanni's Kitchen.  I too would prefer another option other than Chops (not particularly fond of steak for lunch - too heavy - I usually get some soup and something lighter than steak) but it's very difficult to find anything OTHER than Chops unless you're on an O/Q class which blows this entire theory up. Then there are usually some other options.

Does Chops no longer have the chicken, salmon, or burger available for lunch? 

• Like 1

Just my opinion/thought, but I would not do a speciality restaurant at a set time on embarkation day. For me one of the main appeals of cruising is being able to relax and do as much or as little as I want to every day. Worried about having to board at a certain time and being some where shortly after boarding the ship would not be relaxing in my book.