Passport Question

dmannion95

Help! I leave with my wife on the NCL Sky on 11/17/23 (18 days from now). It's out of Miami and goes to Dominican, Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Kitts, US Virgin Islands, and the Bahamas before returning back to Miami. On their website, it says if you leave from a US port and return to that same US port on a Caribbean cruise, you could technically board with your birth certificate AND license. My wife has a passport that expires in April, which is less than 6 months away... I have seen mixed reviews on this, but have read multiple posts saying people have done similar cruises with 3 months left etc. and had no issue. The option here is to SUPER expedite a passport renewal through VisaCentral (recommended by NCL) for $1,000 or basically just let it ride and take the risk. Community, please advise! Have any of your traveled and had no issue? It is worth noting that Antigua specifically says your passport must be valid for 180 days following departure date. St. Kitts says "must have 6 months validity at entry." Am I screwed??

2 minutes ago, dmannion95 said:

Appreciate the input. What makes you sure? Have you encountered a similar situation?

I went on a Caribbean cruise with less than six month because I had so many cruises stacked I could not time one to have six months.

As you mentioned you could take a birth certificate. It is not technically, it is actually allowed on that closed loop itinerary. If you are worried about it take a birth certificate as backup. You won’t need it but that seems to makes some people feel better for some reason. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I went on a Caribbean cruise with less than six month because I had so many cruises stacked I could not time one to have six months.

As you mentioned you could take a birth certificate. It is not technically, it is actually allowed on that closed loop itinerary. If you are worried about it take a birth certificate as backup. You won’t need it but that seems to makes some people feel better for some reason. 

Antigua and St. Kitts specifically state 180 days post departure needed. Did you go to either of those ports on your sub 6 months trip? Thank you for the tips!

9 minutes ago, dmannion95 said:

Antigua and St. Kitts specifically state 180 days post departure needed. Did you go to either of those ports on your sub 6 months trip? Thank you for the tips!

I have been to those ports a bunch of times but I don’t recall the itinerary of that cruise. I had about 7 booked that year. What you are missing is that the requirements for being in transit on a cruise that calls at those islands are different than those for flying in by air. It is a closed loop cruise that does not even require a passport. 

• Thanks 1

If you really want to be OCD and expedite her passport renewal no need to spend $1000. You can do it yourself if you can get an appointment. Also as mentioned you don’t need a passport if you have her birth certificate. 

Traveling in Less Than 5-7 Weeks

Make an Appointment at a Passport Agency or Center 

We have two types of appointments: Life-or-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

• You can only make an appointment by calling us. 
  • You cannot walk in without an appointment. 
  • We do not charge a fee to make an appointment.
  • You cannot transfer your appointment to another customer.
  • We will provide unique confirmation information that our staff will verify on the day on your appointment. 

Life-or-Death Emergency Service: We are prioritizing customers who are traveling internationally in the next 3 business days due to a qualified life-or-death emergency. What number you call to make an appointment depends on the day of the week and time of day. Learn more on our Life-or-Death Emergency page.

Urgent Travel Service: Schedule an appointment if you are traveling internationally within 14 calendar days or need a foreign visa within 28 calendar days. Call 1-877-487-2778 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET, Mondays through Fridays, or Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. ET. The call center is closed on federal holidays

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

You'll be fine.

Kind of overly brief response.  

I am inclined to think what 1025cruise meant to say was if the the OP and wife are both US citizens with birth certificates and photo ID’s, neither will need any passport for such a closed loop cruise.

OP did not really provide sufficient information.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I have been to those ports a bunch of times but I don’t recall the itinerary of that cruise. I had about 7 booked that year. What you are missing is that the requirements for being in transit on a cruise that calls at those islands are different than those for flying in by air. It is a closed loop cruise that does not even require a passport. 

Exactly this. They aren't going to balk at a passport that doesn't have 6 months remaining when there will be many onboard without a passport in the first place.

• Thanks 1

Cruise passengers are viewed as 'in-transit' visitors to most ports, esp those in the Caribbean.  As such, no extensive ID is required.  In fact, showing a passport or BC and DL usually only happens when you return from your closed loop cruise.  CBP has to verify your citizenship to allow entry into the US.

The 180 day rule comes into play when you visit the country or island for an extended vacation, like 2 weeks or so.

• Thanks 1

There is no need to expedite your passport renewal. You can use a birth certificate and photo ID to board the ship and visit the islands. Bring your passport in case you need to fly home in an emergency; but you don't need to have one for the cruise. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If it were not a US passport there might be a problem.

True enough and the OP did not explicitly identify themselves as a US citizen, but since the OP did quote from the rules for a US citizen it is a reasonable presumption. If the OP happens to be reading the rules incorrectly for their situation that's on them.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

When in doubt, check the State Department's website!

Antigua: Those traveling to Antigua and Barbuda on a cruise may use another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document. However, we strongly recommend visitors obtain a passport before travel in case of an unforeseen emergency that requires a cruise passenger to disembark and return by air.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/AntiguaandBarbuda.html

St. Kitts:  Caribbean cruises that begin and end in the United States (closed loop cruises) do not require that you travel with a valid passport.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/FrenchWestIndies.html.html?wcmmode=disabled

So you can use a valid US passport (valid as of the day of re-entry into the US) or WHTI compliant documents (drivers license plus original birth certificate).

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, capriccio said:

When in doubt, check the State Department's website!

Antigua: Those traveling to Antigua and Barbuda on a cruise may use another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document. However, we strongly recommend visitors obtain a passport before travel in case of an unforeseen emergency that requires a cruise passenger to disembark and return by air.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/AntiguaandBarbuda.html

St. Kitts:  Caribbean cruises that begin and end in the United States (closed loop cruises) do not require that you travel with a valid passport.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/FrenchWestIndies.html.html?wcmmode=disabled

So you can use a valid US passport (valid as of the day of re-entry into the US) or WHTI compliant documents (drivers license plus original birth certificate).

Very helpful. Thank you!

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

True enough and the OP did not explicitly identify themselves as a US citizen, but since the OP did quote from the rules for a US citizen it is a reasonable presumption. If the OP happens to be reading the rules incorrectly for their situation that's on them.

Both of us are US citizens. Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 7:48 PM, Charles4515 said:

If you really want to be OCD and expedite her passport renewal no need to spend $1000. You can do it yourself if you can get an appointment. Also as mentioned you don’t need a passport if you have her birth certificate. 

Traveling in Less Than 5-7 Weeks

Make an Appointment at a Passport Agency or Center 

We have two types of appointments: Life-or-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

• You can only make an appointment by calling us. 
  • You cannot walk in without an appointment. 
  • We do not charge a fee to make an appointment.
  • You cannot transfer your appointment to another customer.
  • We will provide unique confirmation information that our staff will verify on the day on your appointment. 

Life-or-Death Emergency Service: We are prioritizing customers who are traveling internationally in the next 3 business days due to a qualified life-or-death emergency. What number you call to make an appointment depends on the day of the week and time of day. Learn more on our Life-or-Death Emergency page.

Urgent Travel Service: Schedule an appointment if you are traveling internationally within 14 calendar days or need a foreign visa within 28 calendar days. Call 1-877-487-2778 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET, Mondays through Fridays, or Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. ET. The call center is closed on federal holidays

I used this earlier this year. If you live close to a US Passport Agency office or are willing to travel to one, it works fine. Note that "within 14 days" includes the day you call for the appointment. I called one day too early and had to call again the next day. The only extra cost is the $65 expedite fee (+ whatever personal cost there is in getting to the passport office).

My appointment was in the morning and they said I could come back in the afternoon to pick-up the passport because I  live more than 100 miles from the office. If you live closer, you may have to come back the next day to pick-up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...