Be sure to ask

renebfl

We just ended our Reflection transatlantic cruise.  We didn’t know until day 5, you had to ask what special is offered in the main dining room.  (not listed on the menu or told by wait staff).    It was never mentioned by our waiter.  

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, renebfl said:

We just ended our Reflection transatlantic cruise.  We didn’t know until day 5, you had to ask what special is offered in the main dining room.  (not listed on the menu or told by wait staff).    It was never mentioned by our waiter.  

Odd.  If it's a special, you'd think they'd mention it...otherwise, how would anybody know?  Which begs the question, how did you find out?  Also, what were some of the specials on offer?

We went first night to MDR, nothing spectacular on menu.   We looked at menu each day after that and could not see anything worth having so we checked out buffet and saw good selections.   Fourth night, we decided to try again and asked what his recommendation was and he said something that wasn’t on menu.  Then he told us there was a special every night. We finished out 15 day cruise asking each night what the special was and then enjoyed the MDR

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

Glad to know this. We will be on Reflection soon. By the way, why wouldn't a waiter just automatically tell diners the special? Just trying to save time?

That would have been my question to the server - and the head server - after they admitted there was a special. If they're going to the problem of having specials, they need to let people know about them.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, renebfl said:

Hard to believe that they had a " Special " every night and the Waiter didn't tell you. 

What then would be the purpose of having a " Special " ?

If I might add:

We were asked on several cruises (by the Maitre'd ) if there was something not on the menu that we would like and took advantage of the offer from time to time.

He had it for us the next night.

We have always found the service very good , except, ( LOL ) the time our Waiter forgot to bring my 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time.

• Haha 1

We had the same thing happen on the Equinox back in August.

It was a 6 day cruise, we ate in the MDR every night.

There were several nights the waiter would bring us something extra, not on menu.

We thought that it was such a great gesture by X !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

Glad to know this. We will be on Reflection soon. By the way, why wouldn't a waiter just automatically tell diners the special? Just trying to save time?

Just completed the Transatlantic on Reflection. We ate in the MDR every night and every night the waiter told us about the specials for that night before he took our order.

On at least one night there was also a special starter - crab cakes- as well the main.

• Like 1

I’m usually guilty of asking my waiter what’s good tonight…they know. As long as it’s not liver, bring it on.  I’ll try most anything. 

My dear Mother resolved my picky eating when I was about 5. I thank her for that. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

8 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’m usually guilty of asking my waiter what’s good tonight…they know. As long as it’s not liver, bring it on.  I’ll try most anything. 

My dear Mother resolved my picky eating when I was about 5. I thank her for that. 

And here I would be willing to pay extra for liver, although not too much extra. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, the penguins said:

Beef Wellington on Lobster night, duck, prime rib of beef, rack of lamb sorry can’t remember the rest - 15 days, 15 specials.

Butter chicken

fish and chips

beef tenderloin 

rack of lamb 

as well as the other specials listed above.

we had a wonderful wait team . The people beside us even pre ordered

for things like wedge salad for the following night.

they we’re happy to accommodate.

cheers !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brockmom said:

Butter chicken

fish and chips

beef tenderloin 

rack of lamb 

as well as the other specials listed above.

we had a wonderful wait team . The people beside us even pre ordered

for things like wedge salad for the following night.

they we’re happy to accommodate.

cheers !

We are gradually getting to 14  - another was a sort of kebab but it was called something different.

We also had a great wait team (although we had Select Dining we had the same table every night). 
As ever, by UK standards, X’s mains came with very few vegetables - easily sorted by having a side dish of mixed veg cooked to be “soft” every night plus the occasional extra helping of mashed potato.