Length of Dinner service in Main Dining Room

Jayhoaps

Hey everyone, all set for my cruise commencing on Monday.

Just planning my evening with using the journey on the APP.

Just wondering, typically, how long is a dinner service in the main dining room? Let's say you go for the traditional appetizer, entree and dessert? Typically does the service take an hour? 1.5 hour or 2 hours? Just wondering if anyone had evening or insight on the length of the dinner service, so I can plan my evening accordingly, for example planning for shows, or music or events etc. Thanks in advance. Time.

12 minutes ago, Jayhoaps said:

Just wondering, typically, how long is a dinner service in the main dining room? Let's say you go for the traditional appetizer, entree and dessert? Typically does the service take an hour? 1.5 hour or 2 hours? Just wondering if anyone had evening or insight on the length of the dinner service, so I can plan my evening accordingly, for example planning for shows, or music or events etc. Thanks in advance. Time.

75 minutes or so, give or take, for 3 courses, 2 people.

90 or so for a large table . 

• Like 2

Somewhere around75 to 90 minutes. A lot depends on the table size. On tables for two the waiter keeps pace with how quickly or slowly the two dine. You can be out in an hour, maybe less. On a large table, such as a table for 8, the slowest eater will determine the pace of service. Tables for 10 are the worst. Waiters do not move on to the next course until all at the table complete the current course. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, donswife said:

It also helps you move along if you let the waiters know that you have somewhere to be at a set time. 

Exactly . I've found a quick polite conversation works wonders . Without this request meals can be two hours . Sometimes this convesation doesn't help. On our last cruise our waiter couldn't/wouldn't move things along . We changed tables and dinner went from two hours to 75 minutes.

Edited by richstowe
This last cruise was on Cunard . We never needed to move tables on Princess.
  • Like 2

I wouldn't try to plan everything down to the last minute - you will greatly add stress to your day.

A private table can finish faster. You can also ask that they don't wait for you to finish a course before bringing the next one. If you eat at popular times, it will take longer than at off times. I prefer to let it take as long as it takes and enjoy my food (and digestion).

• Like 1

We haven't sat with others in the DR for all of the above reasons. In general people like to talk about everything under the sun during dinner.

A table for two is the only way to avoid the situation and if we're in a hurry our waiter can accommodate it. If you're sitting with others, especially at a large table, good luck.... you're in for a 2 hour meal every night.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jayhoaps said:

2 hours most likely

18 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We haven't sat with others in the DR for all of the above reasons. In general people like to talk about everything under the sun during dinner.

A table for two is the only way to avoid the situation and if we're in a hurry our waiter can accommodate it. If you're sitting with others, especially at a large table, good luck.... you're in for a 2 hour meal every night.

My problem with groups at meals is not my issue it is those who order 2 apps a salad a soup and a main.  We now eat with just us and our friends who eat like we do. 1app Ann entree and maybe a dessert 

25 minutes ago, memoak said:

My problem with groups at meals is not my issue it is those who order 2 apps a salad a soup and a main.  We now eat with just us and our friends who eat like we do. 1app Ann entree and maybe a dessert 

My husband usually orders 2 appetizers with soup included but that has never slowed us down in the least. It's waiting for the waiter to both take orders & get the food that slows everything down.

If it were up to him we'd be finished in 30 minutes flat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

If it were up to him we'd be finished in 30 minutes flat.

At home at my favorite restaurants, that's the amount of time I prefer to finish my meals with guests.

On a cruise ship, I try to set the pace with the waiters / waitresses that I would like to be in and out in 45 minutes (our party always get there right at opening as we are realistic that our requests won't work during peak dining hours). After the 1st or 2nd day with the same waiting staff, the requests are usually accommodated (we don't mind them serving plate after plate before we are done as we are fast eaters). The key for those who want quicker service (IMHO) is to get to the dining venue as soon as they are open, let them know your preferred pace, and be flexible how they are able to accomplish them (sometimes it's the kitchen that hold things up).

Most of my meals were at 5 PM at a table with friends.  Those dining times last almost 2 hours.  Once, I requested a "faster" serving time so we could get to the show by 7 pm.  We were out of there by 6:35.

I do prefer a slower paced meal.  Time to chat and enjoy the company.  I know, we are holding up the table for someone else.  PS...if, If, Princess reinstated Traditional times in at least one dining room, you wouldn't have vultures hovering over your table (aka Sheldon Cooper).

Edited by cr8tiv1

As others have mentioned, it all depends upon the size of your table and how you communicate with your server.  We are a table of two.  Never needed to talk to our server to rush things, even if my DH enjoyed two apps while I had one.  In general, we were seated about 545 and out by 700, giving us plenty of time to make the 730 show 

• Like 2

When I first started to go on cruises there were only fixed seatings, early or late. Theater shows and other evening activities were timed to these seatings. Evening activities were planned and attended around a fixed dining schedule. Passengers moved in groups from the DR to the theater to a game show or deck party, to a late night lounge.

As dining changed over the years my thinking changed. For years now I have reversed my thinking. I now plan evening meals around activities that I wish to attend. Sometimes those meals are in the DR, sometimes at other locations and the timing varies. It works well for me and works well if like me you sail multiple  cruises b2b2b.

• Like 1

SWMBO and I solve a number of the MDR issues - slow eater at large table, zealots, and general idiots - by only sitting at a two top and requesting that our appetizer and main be served at the same time.  On a recent cruise we were in and out in under an hour and that was with dessert and coffee. 

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

SWMBO and I solve a number of the MDR issues - slow eater at large table, zealots, and general idiots - by only sitting at a two top and requesting that our appetizer and main be served at the same time.  On a recent cruise we were in and out in under an hour and that was with dessert and coffee. 

OK, but was that including appetizer(s), soup, salad, main course and dessert with coffee? And don't forget about ordering drinks before or during the meal.😄

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

OK, but was that including appetizer(s), soup, salad, main course and dessert with coffee? And don't forget about ordering drinks before or during the meal.😄

Yes, we were in and out in a hour or less.  On our most recent cruise, we would order on appetizer, skip the pasta course, and order a main.  As the waiter cleared our main, we were ready with our dessert order and coffee/tea order.  

SWMBO takes photos of the menu posted outside the MDR or buffet so that we already know what dessert we want.  That saves the time it takes for the waiter to drop off the dessert menu and then circle back to take our order.

We had the same table every night  and the waiter and the assistant waiter got used to our routine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Yes, we were in and out in a hour or less.  On our most recent cruise, we would order on appetizer, skip the pasta course, and order a main.  As the waiter cleared our main, we were ready with our dessert order and coffee/tea order.  

SWMBO takes photos of the menu posted outside the MDR or buffet so that we already know what dessert we want.  That saves the time it takes for the waiter to drop off the dessert menu and then circle back to take our order.

We had the same table every night  and the waiter and the assistant waiter got used to our routine.

You do know that the menu including desserts is available on the app and TV. No need to take pictures. We usually see the dinner menu on our app when we wake up in the morning 

• Like 1

Slowest or longest dining time is the first night as PAX adjust to life ar sea. Usually a short wait even with a reservation that first night. After that allow 90 minutes if wine and desserts are ordered. Make your reservation accordingly if there is a must attend event. Our next cruise next March with the Premier package hopefully will take the anxiety factor out of making the Princess Theater shows with the seating option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spongerjoe said:

Slowest or longest dining time is the first night as PAX adjust to life ar sea. Usually a short wait even with a reservation that first night. After that allow 90 minutes if wine and desserts are ordered. Make your reservation accordingly if there is a must attend event. Our next cruise next March with the Premier package hopefully will take the anxiety factor out of making the Princess Theater shows with the seating option.

The times we've observed the reserved seating they don't seem to totally fill up. 

2 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

LOL, don't sit with us! On our last cruise, we were at a table for eight at the 8pm seating and we were always the last table to leave the dining room, 10 to 10:30. One time I told our head waiter to go to bed, "we will lock up".

Important post . Some people  LIKE leisurely service . I prefer sub ninety minute dinners but a two hour formal night with a good bottle isn't horrible . 😁

• Like 2

19 hours ago, memoak said:

You do know that the menu including desserts is available on the app and TV. No need to take pictures. We usually see the dinner menu on our app when we wake up in the morning 

You do know that the app and the MDR printed menu don't always agree.

For example, on the app one evening it listed an asparagus appetizer with bacon bits and a fried egg on top. One of my favorites.  When we go to the MDR, the menu said nothing about a fried egg.  I had my taste buds all set for what was listed in the app.  

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

After the Asparagus Affair, we relied on the printed menu only.

• Like 1