Make sure your printed boarding pass has a bar code or have the Navigator App boarding pass

lais

If you do not have a bar code on your printed boarding pass it means you printed it out too early and then  you may be stuck in a long secondary line waiting to have your boarding pass reprinted.   If you have the navigator app the bar code will be there on your boarding pass. 
wait a few days before your cruise to print it out.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

12 minutes ago, mafig said:

If you've printed it out before the bar code is on it,  can you still print it out later?

Can I ask why they bother to print out the boarding pass without the bar code?  Why don't they just wait?

Yes you can print it out later. Wait until 14 days before your cruise.

They make it available to print as part of the check-in process (with the luggage tags if room is assigned) and identify that the check-in time is "to be assigned" when the docs are ready. It's up to you to print it or not but you will need a bar code on it (or in the app) to have an efficient check-in.

• Thanks 2

Good to know. I will plan on the extra line as I do not own a phone that allows apps and my computer is too old to get apps either.  PLus for the second half of my trip that was booked as aeperate booking will not be available until I am on board for the first lap. May be my last cruise if the powers to be do not allow a simply boarding process. Some times if it isn't broken trying to fix it really is not the answer, though it does keep people that have no real job employeed.

1 hour ago, Nodakboiler said:

We’ve found that a screenshot of the bar code DOESN’T work. 

I’ve taken a screen shot of the boarding pass and the bar code is there.

I find it faster to pull that up that on Navigator and have had no issues using it.  Just got off a cruise a week ago.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lakesregion said:

Good to know. I will plan on the extra line as I do not own a phone that allows apps and my computer is too old to get apps either.  PLus for the second half of my trip that was booked as aeperate booking will not be available until I am on board for the first lap. May be my last cruise if the powers to be do not allow a simply boarding process. Some times if it isn't broken trying to fix it really is not the answer, though it does keep people that have no real job employeed.

You don't need an app for your computer. Just go to the HAL website and print the boarding pass from there.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nodakboiler said:

We’ve found that a screenshot of the bar code DOESN’T work

The screenshot of the bar code worked for me in Amsterdam when boarding the Rotterdam in October.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

I actually took screen shots of my boarding passes and used that rather than trying to pull up Navigator. It worked totally fine with the bar code.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

Also, be aware that the preliminary boarding pass will say that you can use it even though there is no bar code. It says it in bold type no less.

BoardingPass_00000_updated2.thumb.png.6c109615d5adc1c0cef21632c6392dbb.png

But it also says:

We recommend that you do not print this page until 7-days prior to embarking on your cruise if you are not using
the Holland America Line Navigator app

34 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

But it also says:

We recommend that you do not print this page until 7-days prior to embarking on your cruise if you are not using
the Holland America Line Navigator app

From a pure user interface design perspective, bold type at the top of the page trumps light type at the bottom.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, POA1 said:

From a pure user interface design perspective, bold type at the top of the page trumps light type at the bottom.

Yes but if no bar code you have to have it reprinted at the pier and if many people do not have the bar code you could be stuck in a long line waiting for that to happen.  I posted this to let people know it’s just easier for them to get through the process if you have the bar code as it is SCANNED TO GET ON THE SHIP.    

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Really?  Is this something new?  It worked for me in April.

A screenshot also worked for me in Sept 2023.  I really wish they would work with Apple wallet however, as most other boarding passes these days do!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, lais said:

Yes but if no bar code you have to have it reprinted at the pier and if many people do not have the bar code you could be stuck in a long line waiting for that to happen.  I posted this to let people know it’s just easier for them to get through the process if you have the bar code as it is SCANNED TO GET ON THE SHIP.    

Agree. It should clearly show that then.

7 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Agree. It should clearly show that then.

Remember when you used to check in and were given a room key card that was scanned when you got in the ship? Well now your room keys are outside your stateroom door and your boarding pass bar code is what gets you on the ship 

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, kazu said:

I’ve taken a screen shot of the boarding pass and the bar code is there.

I find it faster to pull that up that on Navigator and have had no issues using it.  Just got off a cruise a week ago.

Same for the cruise I'm currently on 

I'm fascinated by this potertial long line if you don't have a bar code on your boarding pass. Is it ten minutes or will I miss the sailing if I have to wait three or four hours in this line and the ship leaves with a hndred people still waiting to have the boarding pass checked? 

2 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

I'm fascinated by this potertial long line if you don't have a bar code on your boarding pass. Is it ten minutes or will I miss the sailing if I have to wait three or four hours in this line and the ship leaves with a hndred people still waiting to have the boarding pass checked? 

Could be 10 minutes or 30 but if you don’t mind waiting then no problem for you.  Most people want to get going.  I only posted this as a time saving tip. 

• Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, lais said:

Could be 10 minutes or 30 but if you don’t mind waiting then no problem for you.  Most people want to get going.  I only posted this as a time saving tip. 

Wow missing ten minutes of a 15 day trip doesn't sound like a major issue that many seem to think it is. What could you possibly do in that ten - 30 minutes that would make the cruise that much better?

39 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Wow missing ten minutes of a 15 day trip doesn't sound like a major issue that many seem to think it is. What could you possibly do in that ten - 30 minutes that would make the cruise that much better?

If you have never been on that first 10 minutes, I can see why you feel that way. The first 10 minutes is when they hand out the free ponies.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

57 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

What could you possibly do in that ten - 30 minutes that would make the cruise that much better?

NOT be standing in a line!!!

I don't like sore feet!  😉

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger