Carnival Panorama Propulsion Issues

welldone60

1 hour ago, 1stresponder2086 said:

I just got off the phone with my PvP in regards to the panorama propulsion issue as my cruise is 12/9. I was informed that there is a team of engineers working on a repair and hopefully will be done in two weeks. I was told carnival will be reaching out to guests with their options on affected cruises.  That is all.

Thank you, that's the first time I've heard a timeframe mentioned. 

5 hours ago, csm5986142 said:

Panorama is one of my favorite ships and we sail from Long Beach often (it's one of our closest ports).  Missing a port wouldn't really bother me (we've been to them several times) but in July, we got back to Long Beach late causing us to miss our flight (so that was kind of an expensive ordeal).  In the future I will definitely book an afternoon flight when getting off Panorama.

I will be booking a 2:25pm flight back home out of LAX.  Is that reasonable?  The next flight is 430pm which gets us back to Newark after midnight.

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

As far as transparency, does Amtrak notify people of the exact cause of delays or rescheduling due to mechanical issues?  Do the airlines?  Does any transportation company?  Why should the cruise lines be any different?

Actually, a lot do in fact.  I have gone to book a resort or hotel and right there in the reservation system is a warning that the main pool or restaurant is closed due to construction.  They want customers to be aware as that may change their plan.  My flight to LAX has already been adjusted once by 15m, over 80 days out from departure.  Even Uber will give you a warning that your ride may take longer due to traffic delays.  We know when railroad workers, pilots, etc, will strike so that we can make adjustments.  Why is it too much to ask that Carnival alert us that this issue could arise during our cruise so we could make adjustments?  

It’s not.  People just want to tell others to suck it up and enjoy your vacay anyway.  
If my engine light is on in my vehicle for months, I’ll either ignore it and drive anyway, or get it looked at.  If the mechanic tells me I need a new part but it is still drive-able, and I decide to take her for a road trip without necessary repairs and it dies, then I can suck it up and blame nobody but myself.  

• Like 1

I'm guessing we wake up to a JH video chat. Confirm that the booking window has closed until 12/23/23. Two interpretations, both of which suggest they want to limit 'compensation'. One; revised itineraries with compensation to those impacted. Two; well, you know.

We'll hear something tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, RCmommy said:

Actually, a lot do in fact.  I have gone to book a resort or hotel and right there in the reservation system is a warning that the main pool or restaurant is closed due to construction.  They want customers to be aware as that may change their plan.  My flight to LAX has already been adjusted once by 15m, over 80 days out from departure.  Even Uber will give you a warning that your ride may take longer due to traffic delays.  We know when railroad workers, pilots, etc, will strike so that we can make adjustments.  Why is it too much to ask that Carnival alert us that this issue could arise during our cruise so we could make adjustments?  

It’s not.  People just want to tell others to suck it up and enjoy your vacay anyway.  
If my engine light is on in my vehicle for months, I’ll either ignore it and drive anyway, or get it looked at.  If the mechanic tells me I need a new part but it is still drive-able, and I decide to take her for a road trip without necessary repairs and it dies, then I can suck it up and blame nobody but myself.  

Airlines do all the time. They actually rearrange planes to stay on schedule. There is only one panorama and they cannot plug in a different ship

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RCmommy said:

I would also argue that a cruise ship is not the same as passenger rail, airlines, or taxi services.  But if we are making that comparison I wonder what Uber would do with a driver who's ride had a history of breaking down in transit with passengers.  🤷

Personally, I would not feel satisfied with $400 obc on a cruise that set me back thousands in tickets, hotels and airfare, as well as my oh-so-precious PTO.  I can't think of anything I would spend it on that would make up for the loss of 2 out of 3 ports.  That isn't to say everyone feels the same as me, or should.  I want the passengers happy with their cruise regardless.  I wonder if some of the "meh" attitudes are because the itinerary isn't as exciting to most as say the ABC's where I imagine the loss of two of those 3 ports might arouse a stronger attitude.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TiredTrucker said:

I would also argue that a cruise ship is not the same as passenger rail, airlines, or taxi services.  But if we are making that comparison I wonder what Uber would do with a driver who's ride had a history of breaking down in transit with passengers.  🤷

Personally, I would not feel satisfied with $400 obc on a cruise that set me back thousands in tickets, hotels and airfare, as well as my oh-so-precious PTO.  I can't think of anything I would spend it on that would make up for the loss of 2 out of 3 ports.  That isn't to say everyone feels the same as me, or should.  I want the passengers happy with their cruise regardless.  I wonder if some of the "meh" attitudes are because the itinerary isn't as exciting to most as say the ABC's where I imagine the loss of two of those 3 ports might arouse a stronger attitude.

Yes I think so.

I'm on a roll call for the Dec 2 cruise and it's full of people who live in or near LA and take the same cruise several times a year.  They are more than happy to spend a week on the ship no matter where it goes.

For me it's part of a trip of a lifetime - already postponed once as we were meant to go in 2021 - and I don't know if we'll ever be able to do it again.  We chose a cruise as it was the best way to see a few different towns in a short space of time.  If we know in advance we can't make them all, we'd rather take a refund/FCC and fly direct to the ones that appeal most (not Cabo!).

• Like 2

My family is scheduled to set sail this Saturday. Honestly a modification to the itinerary or a total cancellation would not be devastating to me, it’s a completely different story for my 3 kids ages 12, 10, and 5. They have never been on a cruise before and were given this cruise as a surprise for last years Christmas present. They made a ring calendar with 316 paper rings hung up around our living room for the past year, as they tore down rings every weekend in anticipation of this trip. As of now, I don’t have the heart to tell them there may be a problem. We leave in two days for the long journey to Long Beach in hopes the cruise isn’t cancelled, mainly for them. It’s disappointing to hear this is a recurring issue. For those who say cruisers need to be understanding I agree, as adults we should, but explain that to kids who have been looking forward to this for a year. FCC’s means nothing to them. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, cj.cross said:

My family is scheduled to set sail this Saturday. Honestly a modification to the itinerary or a total cancellation would not be devastating to me, it’s a completely different story for my 3 kids ages 12, 10, and 5. They have never been on a cruise before and were given this cruise as a surprise for last years Christmas present. They made a ring calendar with 316 paper rings hung up around our living room for the past year, as they tore down rings every weekend in anticipation of this trip. As of now, I don’t have the heart to tell them there may be a problem. We leave in two days for the long journey to Long Beach in hopes the cruise isn’t cancelled, mainly for them. It’s disappointing to hear this is a recurring issue. For those who say cruisers need to be understanding I agree, as adults we should, but explain that to kids who have been looking forward to this for a year. FCC’s means nothing to them. 

I hope a suitable solution is offered.  It’s hard to let the kiddos down.  ☹️

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 1stresponder2086 said:

Airlines do all the time. They actually rearrange planes to stay on schedule. There is only one panorama and they cannot plug in a different ship

Sure, but do they tell you what went wrong with the airplane, and how soon it will be fixed?  And, if a substitute airplane has been scheduled, do they tell you that?  That's what folks here seem to be wanting to know.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TiredTrucker said:

The cruise contract gives the cruise line the right to change ports without recourse, so their offer is more than what they are contractually obligated to provide. It sucks, but that is also the drawback to cruising- ship does happen and one can either accept it or not. Not accepting just brings angst and upset but it isn't going to change anything at all. Typically when something like this occurs that affects future sailings the line will sometimes allow passengers to cancel without penalty, but even that is not something they are obligated to do. I have a trip to the ABC's scheduled and I am really looking forward to it and yes, I would be somewhat upset if something happened that prevented us from going to any of the ports but I would also make the best of it.

41 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Sure, but do they tell you what went wrong with the airplane, and how soon it will be fixed?  And, if a substitute airplane has been scheduled, do they tell you that?  That's what folks here seem to be wanting to know.

This reminds of a story that I heard once. A plane was at the gate getting ready to take-off when the pilot made the announcement "ladies and gentlemen, the whatchamacallit on this plane is not working and I will not fly it until it is fixed, so we won't be taking off on time". About an hour and a half later the passengers are herded back onto the plane and they get ready to take off. One of the passengers asks a cabin attendant "did they get the whatchamacallit fixed?". "Oh, goodness no, there isn't one available. They found a pilot that would fly without it."

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

This reminds of a story that I heard once. A plane was at the gate getting ready to take-off when the pilot made the announcement "ladies and gentlemen, the whatchamacallit on this plane is not working and I will not fly it until it is fixed, so we won't be taking off on time". About an hour and a half later the passengers are herded back onto the plane and they get ready to take off. One of the passengers asks a cabin attendant "did they get the whatchamacallit fixed?". "Oh, goodness no, there isn't one available. They found a pilot that would fly without it."

We recently (sept) had a group land trip we were leading to Portugal, France and Spain.  At the end of the trip in Barcelona, we had a flight from there to Munich and then 2 1/2 hours layover then flight to JFK.  The flight from Barcelona was early, everyone on the plane and get announcement awaiting final documentation and will be on our way.  Nothing happens and captain comes on and says there is a “technical issue” and they need clearance from HQ (Lufthansa flight).  Long story, but the issue was when loading bags in cargo hold, they found a “tear” in a inside compartment wall (no structural issues) that was approx 4 inches, but exceeded allowance (who at airbus writes up this stuff??).  We wait and wait and wait and end up just making our flight in Munich (pulling an OJ thru the airport being leg by Lufthansa staff.  The point is, at some point someone ignored to “allowance size” of the tear (it had to do with fire suppression between compartments).  In effect, they did what your humor story alludes to.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TiredTrucker said:

. . . .Personally, I would not feel satisfied with $400 obc on a cruise that set me back thousands in tickets, hotels and airfare, as well as my oh-so-precious PTO.  I can't think of anything I would spend it on that would make up for the loss of 2 out of 3 ports.  . . . .

I was on back-to-back cruises on the Pride last July in Europe when the ship needed repairs that caused one port to be dropped on the first cruise and three ports on the second cruise.    My disappointment was acute, but ultimately, I was satisfied with the compensation offered by Carnival.   I understand others will feel differently.   I met people on board who were not satisfied.  

Regarding the OBC, in our situation the OBC was refundable, as were the credits for excursions, port fees, etc.   That meant I could cash out rather than purchasing something I didn't really need or want.   Before learning that I could cash out, a fellow passenger shared the idea of purchasing Carnival gift cards onboard, to be used on future bookings.   

I feel for anyone affected by the Panorama's issues.  I hope there is a resolution that most passengers feel is fair.   

• Like 3

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

They will tell you it's mechanical or a flight crew issue or a weather issue.  So yes.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 1stresponder2086 said:

They will tell you it's mechanical or a flight crew issue or a weather issue.  So yes.  

So, Carnival has said its a problem maintaining speed. Does the airline tell you what component failed to cause the mechanical issue?

• Like 1

I'm booked on the Panorama leaving 12/2. It'll be my third time on this itinerary and I'd only booked Carnival excursions, so if this happened on my sailing, I'd be a little sad but would still have a great vacation. I'd probably take the OBC and the refunded excursion money and get a massage or something (though I think they're wildly overpriced compared to land spas). But I have unlimited PTO and didn't pay a fortune for the trip.

Even still, I will admit, I'm a little on edge at the possibility of a changed itinerary for my sailing. I like sea days, but if the whole ship is forced to stay onboard then things are going to be a lot more crowded than when it's just you choosing to stay on, which impacts the experience.

2 hours ago, 1stresponder2086 said:

I believe they are required by law to provide such notifications. As nice as it might be for a cruise line to do the same they are under no obligation. As a passenger I don't really care that much what the reason is because it isn't going to change the outcome at all. (And FWIW until the law was changed requiring the airlines to provide such information, as I recall they didn't.)

So we're roughly 72 hours out from the beginning of embarkation for the November 11th cruise. Moreover, it's now afternoon on Wednesday back at the mother ship. And so far, nothing but crickets with John Heald being as tight lipped as I've seen in these situations.

I'm going to offer my best guess based on these facts.

1) She's sailing next week.

2) They're revising the itinerary, as necessary, and that's what the hold-ups are about. (Hello La Paz?)

3) They'll announce 'modest' compensation to the passengers impacted.

I'm thinking @chengkp75 instinct that there's something preventing Panorama from producing the necessary 1.21 gigawatts being the issue. If it stays quiet, I'll be interested in her speed as she heads northbound this afternoon.

• Like 1