Ordering set menu items from MDR when in Blu

mlanders

4 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

That is very difficult on the e class ships because the kitchens are nowhere near each other, and generally it is not allowed to move food from one kitchen to the other

On E-class isn't BLU (deck 5) directly above the Deck 4 and Deck 3 dining rooms ?

• Like 2

We have always been told NO but we have not sailed on E-class ships. 

But if you want the menu in MDR, could you just eat in the MDR? Seems like a lot of work for the wait staff to have to go to another kitchen - even if it is close by. 

1 hour ago, mrgabriel said:

We have always been told NO but we have not sailed on E-class ships. 

But if you want the menu in MDR, could you just eat in the MDR? Seems like a lot of work for the wait staff to have to go to another kitchen - even if it is close by. 

Your experience is very different than mine.  On non-E class ships I have never had an issue asking for a MDR item and I've sailed in AQ and eaten in Blu many, many times.  I try not to ask for extras very often because of the extra work for the waiter, but if I can't find anything on the Blu menu I like it has never been an issue. I don't want to just go to the MDR to eat.  One reason (actually the main reason) I choose Aqua Class is for the dining experience - better, more individualized service, restaurant more intimate and so on.

• Like 4

Will be on Connie, assigned to Blu.  The Blu dinner menus make me puke.  I don’t eat duck, pheasant, veal, lamb.   I plan to ask for the MDR menu every night in addition.  I understand this should not be a big deal since MDR and Blu are basically in the same room.  I chose an aqua suite for cabin location, Persian garden entry and the fact that I will not be waiting in a long line for a table to open up in MDR.  I refuse to deal with OVC carrying a tray around looking for an open seat.  Perhaps if Celebrity had given me more OBC I would have booked a Tuscan Grill package for the entire cruise now that I can see the Blu menus on the current sailing.

On 11/6/2023 at 1:39 PM, cruisestitch said:

That is very difficult on the e class ships because the kitchens are nowhere near each other, and generally it is not allowed to move food from one kitchen to the other

I have sailed in Aquaclass on the Apex and Beyond and it was never a problem ordering an entree from the MDR menu in Blu. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, georgetheblue said:

Will be on Connie, assigned to Blu.  The Blu dinner menus make me puke.  I don’t eat duck, pheasant, veal, lamb.   I plan to ask for the MDR menu every night in addition.  I understand this should not be a big deal since MDR and Blu are basically in the same room.  I chose an aqua suite for cabin location, Persian garden entry and the fact that I will not be waiting in a long line for a table to open up in MDR.  I refuse to deal with OVC carrying a tray around looking for an open seat.  Perhaps if Celebrity had given me more OBC I would have booked a Tuscan Grill package for the entire cruise now that I can see the Blu menus on the current sailing.

I could have written this! We were on EQ Oct 14.  Third time on EQ and third time in Aqua.  We booked AQ for Blu, cabin location, and previously a few other amenities that have now been eliminated/.   Breakfast was fine in Blu and dinner was terrible! We are not picky eaters but pheasant, duck and veal we do not eat either. First night we tried the filet from the " favorites" menu and it was AWFUL, Tough, bad cut of meat. We couldn't finish it. Next night we chose from MDR and it was great. Every night after that we ate MDR menu because every night the Blu menus were unacceptable,  We did not go to MDR instead of Blu because we had paid to eat in Blu AND liked the intimacy and quiet.  If we ever sail X again, and that is unlikely, we would not spend the money for AQ 

15 hours ago, georgetheblue said:

Are you in a regular Aqua Class cabin, or an Aqua Class Sky Suite? If you are in the suite, your dining venue is Luminae, the Suite dining room.
Blu is an option to all Suite passengers, but only if there is availability and it needs to be set up in advance with Blu’s Maitre d’. 
If you are in just a regular Aqua cabin, then it’s Blu. 

22 hours ago, georgetheblue said:

That is double on the Mclass ships as both Luminae and Blu dining rooms carved out of the original MDRs, so the kitchens are also co located.  
On S class ships the kitchens are not co located so getting a MDR item to Blu requires a server to leave Blu (deck 5 aft) go to deck  2 mid ship then to MDR kitchen secure the item and then return.  That impacts the service for others in Blu.  Blu does have available the Classic items from the MDR menu ( shrimp cocktail, Cesar salad, escargot, chicken, salmon and sirloin steak). 

We typically book AQ rooms for reasons stated, but also struggle with some of the limited menus.  A few years ago the Blu Maitre D on Solstice gave a small group tour of the kitchens.  It was a sea day between breakfast and lunch when the  prepping and cooking was happening, but not serving.  He started on 2 and led us up through the sections of MDR kitchens taking the back stairs to the Blu kitchen ending with a treat in Blu with the wait staff.  

I enjoyed the whole experience, but it left several impressions.  Seeing the size of the MDR kitchens and prep areas, I understand why it is hard for them to customize meals in MDR and get them right every time.  Also the distance from the MDR kitchen to Blu kitchen isn’t ideal so I understand why they discourage ordering from the MDR menu.  

there are no land resorts out there with multiple restaurants on site that would allow that would allow you to order food from the "French restaurant" and have it served at the "Mexican restaurant"   Yet this seems to be allowed and expected (by the pax) to be the norm.  The food at the restaurant is the food on the menu.  

Many restaurants on land dont let you substitute baked potatoes for French fries let alone order from a different restaurant

I think that many pax dont really know what the menu differences are and just expect MDR, Blu and Luminae are just variations on the same theme with better service   Having eaten in all three, I have seen people have a real problem struggling with the menu at Blu and Luminae. The classics are there for the "selective" eaters.  Sending the waiter off to another kitchen just diminishes the service for everyone else

I dont think potential pax look at the menus before selecting room types.  It really just "let's get a suite this time" thinking.  Can't disagree with it but the food menu isnt really thought of when selecting. I can't blame anyone for being surprised since people eat what they like, most are not that adventuresome ( I have been on Crystal watching people eating well done filet mignon and mashed potatoes every night) and X doesn't prominently show the actual menus on the website.  

The menu on Blu has deteriorated. I am NOT a picky eater but found nothing appealing on the menu every night. The filet that we ordered on our first night was a poor cut of meat and like shoe leather. If they want to discourage people from wanting an alternative from MDR, maybe they should adjust the menu to appeal to a broader group of diners

Ordering frm MDR Menu is never a issue in Blu, no matter what class of ship as the kitchens are somehow always connected. Things look completely different when in the Retreat and Luminae on E Class ships given the location.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mlmbar said:

If they want to discourage people from wanting an alternative from MDR, maybe they should adjust the menu to appeal to a broader group of diners

How do you know it doesn't appeal to a broad group of diners? Not everyone wants to eat a piece of beef every night.

• Like 2

Where did I say I wanted to eat a piece of beef every night???  I rarely eat beef. I also do not eat lamb and veal. The menu was not very varied and I am not a real picky eater. I have seen many here discussing the menu at Blu lately and saying that it is not real appealing so they order from MDR. There were many people on my cruise ordering from MDR. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mlmbar said:

The menu on Blu has deteriorated. I am NOT a picky eater but found nothing appealing on the menu every night. The filet that we ordered on our first night was a poor cut of meat and like shoe leather. If they want to discourage people from wanting an alternative from MDR, maybe they should adjust the menu to appeal to a broader group of diners

Photo of the ribeye from Blu on the Beyond in October, 2022. It was very tasty and grilled to our specifications.

PXL_20221027_000005327 (4).jpg

On our two other cruises on equinox, we loved blue, and looked forward to dinner. Every night. My point is, it’s not the same. The menu choices are not as appealing, and this comes from corporate. We had the ribeye steak the first night, and it was nothing like, the picture shown here. It was dry and tough 

• Like 1

Who said a menu makes them puke? Third grade palate? Just because people do not like how the menu has changed and has the audacity to criticize doesn’t have anything to do with a sophisticated palate or not