Best Norwegian areas for fjords, please.....

Tampa Girl

I am trying to choose between two Norwegian fjord cruises.  1.  Ports include Alesund, Eeiranger, Eidford, Flam, Stavanger, Oslo.  No other countries are included. 

Second possibility:  "North Cape & the Midnight Sun.  It includes Honningsvag, Tromso,Leknes, Trondheim, Alesund; plus Lenwick, Shetland Islands, Invergordon, Portreee, and Edinburgh.  Both cruises sail from Rotterdam.  I have put the latter cruise on hold for 24 hours.  I prefer this one but do  not know if the fjords are comparable to the first.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much.

6 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I am trying to choose between two Norwegian fjord cruises.  1.  Ports include Alesund, Eeiranger, Eidford, Flam, Stavanger, Oslo.  No other countries are included. 

Second possibility:  "North Cape & the Midnight Sun.  It includes Honningsvag, Tromso,Leknes, Trondheim, Alesund; plus Lenwick, Shetland Islands, Invergordon, Portreee, and Edinburgh.  Both cruises sail from Rotterdam.  I have put the latter cruise on hold for 24 hours.  I prefer this one but do  not know if the fjords are comparable to the first.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much.

Our visit to Flam.  Our visit to the North Cape involved a lot of fog and clouds.  However the second choice has a lot of interesting stops.

Century 2007 05 13 Flam.JPG

• Thanks 1

Because of highly changeable weather patterns in Norway, there is no one perfect choice, nor bad choice. Flip a coin if you must. It can be  hit or miss if you even see the fjorids. But Norway is always a beautiful visit on so many other levels. You really don't need to second guess any choice you finally make.

Our guide once had to hold up photos on one trip to show us what we were supposed to be seeing, because the major fjord we were supposed be seeing was all fogged in. But what we did see instead, was  beautiful country side, farms and villages up close, and had a wonderful Norwegian buffet. 

How about this for a major disappointment - taking the shore excursion to hike up to the all time photo op shot at Pulpit Rock, which appears on a sunny day in virtually every travel pictures for Norway.  I had to finally give up close  to the top because, it was time to head back to the bus. Others that did make it all the way to the top, but said it was fogged in and they could see nothing of that famous sweep of the view.  

Yet it was a glorious experience, just for trying, and the naturally stories get better with each re-telling. That is Noway.

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 10.36.23 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 10.37.58 AM.png

Edited by OlsSalt
Add photos
  • Like 5

If your goal is to see spectacular Norwegian fjords, I would go with the first cruise. Last spring we did a cruise that included Geiranger and Eidfjord and they were both amazing. 

we have just booked a North Cape cruise similar to the second one you mentioned for next spring, knowing full well it doesn’t go into the deep fjords, but will have its own highlights and interesting ports. 

if you can, do both 😁😁

• Like 2

Both are great cruises, but are very different. 

The first itinerary will immerse you in Norway, with a great fjord (I presume you mistyped Geiranger), and rugged scenery. The weather varies, and you take your chances. If it isn't good this time, maybe it will be so much better next time. 
The second itinerary is still scenic, but not in the same way. I think of the second one as more culture and less on the scenery side. I do think that going to North Cape, and knowing that you have sailed past the northernmost point on the European continent is a kick (I like to 'collect' things I don't have to find a place for at home, or clean, or polish). 

If you can't plan to take them both on the same trip, then plan one for now, and one for the future. 
Flip a coin as to which is first. 

• Like 5

We did a Fjord cruise this past June on Jewel of the Seas. Out of Amsterdam, stopped at Geiranger, Flam, Honningsvag (overnight), Alesund and Olden. Our Molde stop was cancelled due to the lock restrictions in returning to Amsterdam. 

For fjords, nothing compares to Geiranger and Flam. I would seek out any itinerary that has them on it. 

Honningsvag was great and the trip to Nordkapp was remarkable. Made even more so by the fact that it as perfectly clear and 70 degrees. Cant expect that. 

We did not experience darkness for 12 days.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 2

The fjords that will be closed to most cruise ships (for environmental reasons) starting January 2026 are the UNESCO-designated Geiranger and Naeroy fjords. I've also heard Flam (Sognefjord)

is stunning.

I had booked a two-week HAL Rotterdam cruise back when it first came out because it covered several of the most scenic fjords. This was before my Japan Westerdam trip that was less-than-stellar and I have been debating keeping that cruise since the itinerary was so nice....

Lo and behold, last month HAL sent out notice of a very changed itinerary and one that is a lot less attractive. No Oslo, no Flam (at least we still cruise Sognefjord), no Alesund, no Kristiansand. And we've gone from docking IN Stavanger to docking in Sandnes, which is quite a bit further from town.

Is HAL lagging other lines in confirming these ports and losing prime dock space?

Now I'm leaning more toward canceling this cruise.

Old itinerary:

image.thumb.png.26078aced4adeb5a9812ef250d87b007.png 

New itinerary:

image.thumb.png.87562242bd5a029fe5021af68b92f3d3.png

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The fjords that will be closed to most cruise ships (for environmental reasons) starting January 2026 are the UNESCO-designated Geiranger and Naeroy fjords. I've also heard Flam (Sognefjord)

is stunning.

I had booked a two-week HAL Rotterdam cruise back when it first came out because it covered several of the most scenic fjords. This was before my Japan Westerdam trip that was less-than-stellar and I have been debating keeping that cruise since the itinerary was so nice....

Lo and behold, last month HAL sent out notice of a very changed itinerary and one that is a lot less attractive. No Oslo, no Flam (at least we still cruise Sognefjord), no Alesund, no Kristiansand. And we've gone from docking IN Stavanger to docking in Sandnes, which is quite a bit further from town.

Is HAL lagging other lines in confirming these ports and losing prime dock space?

Old itinerary:

New itinerary:

Cancel---you have lost some good ports plus you have your doubts about HAL.

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

is stunning.

Old itinerary:

New itinerary:

We are currently on  the 26-day Oosterdam cruise out of 

Athens.  We just booked two 7-day cruises, the first segment of which leaves Rotterdam on June 20th and goes to Kristiansand, Oslo, Stavenger, and Flam (Viking Sagas).  The second segment (Norse Legends) goes to  Eidfjord, Geiranger, and Alesund.  Aren't these the ports that you wanted?

For our purposes, this is too much of Norway, and we will cancel it  this B2B one. 

I have decided to book my second choice, "North Cape &  the Midnight Sun", but I would like to confirm that we can get to the Geiranger fjord from Alesund.  Can anyone confirm this?  I have not yet looked at the excursion  possibilities, including an independent excursion.

Thank you, everyone, for providing very helpful info and suggestions.   It appears that Norway requires more than a one-time, 7-day introduction.  

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

…Lo and behold, last month HAL sent out notice of a very changed itinerary and one that is a lot less attractive. No Oslo, no Flam (at least we still cruise Sognefjord), no Alesund, no Kristiansand. And we've gone from docking IN Stavanger to docking in Sandnes, which is quite a bit further from town...

@cruisemom42  I know those cancellations must be disappointing. I will say, though, that some of our most memorable days ever have been spent in Skjolden (one of the most naturally beautiful places we’ve ever seen, been twice…and Sognefjord is just so incredible!) and then we rented a car from Avis at the Molde airport and drove the Trollstigen (best spur of the moment decision we ever made!). 

Wishing you the best as you make this decision.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

…I would like to confirm that we can get to the Geiranger fjord from Alesund.  Can anyone confirm this?  I have not yet looked at the excursion  possibilities, including an independent excursion.

Thank you…It appears that Norway requires more than a one-time, 7-day introduction.  

It is possible to get to Geirangerfjord from Alesund. Here is a Thread that talks about it. I have not done this, opting to spend the day in Alesund.

But on one cruise, I had made plans (though not pre-booked, it was a “just show up the day-of-trip” excursion) to do an independent fjord tour from Bergen and it just didn’t work out because our ship changed our All Aboard time (though we arrived 30 minutes earlier than the original itinerary). Because of this, the tour would misconnect by 15 minutes with my comfort level returning to the ship and I could not risk missing the ship. So be aware when traveling greater distances outside of HAL’s official excursions.

Our first time to Norway was part of a 19 Day Baltics cruise and we were in Norway for about a week. We loved it so much we took an all Norway 14 day cruise the next time we went. I did not want to leave! I wish it had been longer. I look forward to the day I return!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Because of highly changeable weather patterns in Norway, there is no one perfect choice, nor bad choice. 

How about this for a major disappointment - taking the shore excursion to hike up to the all time photo op shot at Pulpit Rock, which appears on a sunny day in virtually every travel pictures for Norway.  I had to finally give up close  to the top because, it was time to head back to the bus. Others that did make it all the way to the top, but said it was fogged in and they could see nothing of that famous sweep of the view.  

Yet it was a glorious experience, just for trying, and the naturally stories get better with each re-telling. That is Noway.

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 10.36.23 AM.png

😃 The same thing happened to us. We had booked a Rodne catamaran trip from Stavanger through Lysefjord, and Pulpit Rock (seen from the boat, no hiking) was to be the highlight. The weather was okay UNTIL we were almost at Pulpit Rock and it was even foggier than your photo. Of course, it cleared up later on. Oh well! We still had a great time and would do that boat trip again. We were blessed that was our only weather hiccup the whole cruise.

Good times!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

We just booked two 7-day cruises, the first segment of which leaves Rotterdam on June 20th and goes to Kristiansand, Oslo, Stavenger, and Flam (Viking Sagas).  The second segment (Norse Legends) goes to  Eidfjord, Geiranger, and Alesund.  Aren't these the ports that you wanted?

I don't see any HAL ship leaving Rotterdam on June 20th for either 2024 or 2025?

Or, if you perhaps meant July 20 -- that's the one I booked that has now been changed so significantly.

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

I don't see any HAL ship leaving Rotterdam on June 20th for either 2024 or 2025?

Or, if you perhaps meant July 20 -- that's the one I booked that has now been changed so significantly.

Sorry, yes, I did mean July 20th.  The change of itinerary reinforces my decision to not take that B2B cruise.  However, I am finding that two of the ports on the North Cape & the Midnight Sun have also been shelved.  I believe that Leknes and Tromso have been replaced.  If Alesund is replaced, I will be off that cruise, as well. The speculation is that more and more towns are no longer welcoming large cruse ships.  Such are the current times, I fear.

6 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Sorry, yes, I did mean July 20th.  The change of itinerary reinforces my decision to not take that B2B cruise.  However, I am finding that two of the ports on the North Cape & the Midnight Sun have also been shelved.  I believe that Leknes and Tromso have been replaced.  If Alesund is replaced, I will be off that cruise, as well. The speculation is that more and more towns are no longer welcoming large cruse ships.  Such are the current times, I fear.

That makes sense.

I agree that opinions of large cruise ships are challenging, but I have to think it is more than that, as the large Anthem of the Seas (4900 passengers) and the similarly-sized Costa Diadema are calling in at both Flam and Stavanger (not the auxiliary port) less than a week before HAL Rotterdam was scheduled to be there.

We have done most of the ports and enjoyed them all.  You cannot go wrong with either cruise.

22 hours ago, C 2 C said:

Our visit to Flam.  Our visit to the North Cape involved a lot of fog and clouds.  However the second choice has a lot of interesting stops.

Century 2007 05 13 Flam.JPG

Great photo!  What ship is this?

21 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

This photo always gives me palpitations!  I decided against this excursion.😁

16 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Without hesitation I would go for Nordkapp.  It is just so bleak, it is exciting.

The Arctic Circle crossing certificate is nice too!

I still have this screenshot on my phone from 2016.

What a great idea to save the screen shot in your photos.  Wish I had thought of that!

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

This was before my Japan Westerdam trip that was less-than-stellar

Off topic, but DH and I are looking at a 14 day Circle Japan cruise.  Do you have a review or a thread about your experience?

I did not do a review but I did post some of my experiences and comments on this "Live" thread started by @Hlitner

To summarize, nothing other than the ports really shone. Activities on the ship were sparse and service was not stellar. There were shortages, particularly beverages (anything from Diet Coke to Sauvignon Blanc and a various liquors as well). My dissatisfaction was probably colored by the fact that an excellent iteration of LCS musicians that accompanied us for our first two weeks left in the middle of the cruise. There were at least 5-6 nights (out of 28) when the main theatre had no show other than a movie. 

Perhaps others' reports oversold the cruise, but it was just a bit of a letdown for me, in many ways. The ports were mostly good, but the bad weather (lots of rain) and shortage of guides for either ship or private tours was a bit stressful. The officialdom of Japan didn't help -- I'm sure we experienced this to a higher degree than normal as we were one of the first ships making the rounds after Japan opened to cruising.

My previous two visits to Japan were land trips, and if I go back again (I do love Japan), I am 99% sure that's how I'd do it. Just a better fit for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1