Celebrity laundry question

CardowMD

I am looking at a couple of longer Asia cruises next year and Celebrity has the best itineraries. In the past have taken a cruise line that has self serve launderettes onboard for these over 10 day trips but since Celebrity does not offer these, I am concerned about getting clothes cleaned. I am Elite, so will have a couple of bags included. Can you specify cold water wash, hang dry? The majority of my clothes would not be wearable if put in the dryer or washed in hot water😳 Do they press these items?

On the laundry forms I have never seen an option for cold water and hang dry.  You could try and ask however the often-quoted statement "boil and bake" comes to mind when referring to the laundry service on Celebrity.

I think there may be an option for pressing clothes.  I have not used it.

On my upcoming cruise there are options to prebuy Laundry Wash & Press ($64) and/or Premium Dry Cleaning ($45).

We travel very light so have used the Celebrity laundry service - have had no negative results.  We send pjs, underclothes, socks, tee shirts, casual shirts.  I will also hand wash my knit fabric shirts and hang to dry in the room after towel drying them (use magnetic hooks on the ceiling near the air vent).  

• Like 2

Have those items dry cleaned. 

The majority of my wardrobe is cold wash and line dry so I budget about $50 for dry cleaning on longer cruises.

For really lightweight garments I will wash and hang dry thing in the cabin but a lot of garments take days to dry in the damp sea air, and then there's the pressing issue which can't always be handled with Downy Wrinkle Release. 

2 hours ago, CardowMD said:

Thank for info everyone. On another site, HAL people said they can specify cold water, hang dry. 

As others have said, this is really not an option on Celebrity.  If you are in a suite they will usually take a few extra steps for you - like hanging your shirts rather than stuffing them into a bag.  The higher your suite level, the more likely they will try to accommodate you.  In a high level suite maybe, just maybe, you could get a hang dry but the cold water - forget it.  I've read the occasional post where people claims they write cold water on their laundry slip and that's what it's washed in, but having seen the laundry rooms onboard I think they are believing what they want to believe.

• Like 1

Just off a cruise and they hung my delicate sweater on a metal hanger after dry cleaning. It made huge stretch bulges. Also still had the food on the front, I sent it back with a note saying to fix and send back folded. Came back on the metal hanger.. sent again and same!!!! Went to guest relations last night of the cruise and they called the laundry manager who arrived within minutes. Explained and showed the damage. 30 minutes later he came to our cabin with the repaired sweater folded and wrapped in tissue

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CardowMD said:

I am looking at a couple of longer Asia cruises next year and Celebrity has the best itineraries. In the past have taken a cruise line that has self serve launderettes onboard for these over 10 day trips but since Celebrity does not offer these, I am concerned about getting clothes cleaned. I am Elite, so will have a couple of bags included. Can you specify cold water wash, hang dry? The majority of my clothes would not be wearable if put in the dryer or washed in hot water😳 Do they press these items?

Laundry is "wash and fold". However we always write  in big letters on the slip:

"Please return items on hangers, Thank you ".

They don't have to do it but they always have so be sure to include the please and thank you.

If you have to hand-wash don't bring any powder /liquid as the Celebrity shampoo works just great (much better than the liquid soap).

We send out shirts, tops, slacks and jeans as well as underwear (not bras) socks etc and never had any issues After all the laundry washes all the crews uniforms and we have never seen an officer with shrunken shirts.

• Like 1

I have a wash and press ordered for my upcoming 10 day cruise.  Seeing some of the comments about the heat in wash and dry I'm getting a little worried.  I purchased it during one of the "flash sales" and was pretty reasonably priced... I would probably just have them wash and press some cotton shorts and some button down shirts, maybe some socks and undies.  Hopefully they don't come back with diet instructions on how to lose weight to fit in my newly sized clean cloths 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have written “cold water please” on the laundry slip and have not had anything destroyed or shrunk ( over many loads of laundry) but have not sent any very delicate items. We have had mixed success with request to “return on hangers”-on Constellation they did so but on Solstice they said no without paying for ironing. 
I read a tip on CC regarding rolling the hand washed items in a towel to absorb much of the water and then hanging. They did dry overnight.

• Like 1

I don't send anything to the laundry that hasn't been washed and dried many times at home.  Anything delicate gets sent to be dry cleaned.  Celebrity is not going to change its laundry procedures to accommodate you so you have to learn to work with what's available.  And, yes, hand washing with their shampoo works very well.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

You can specify them, but they wil be ignored. The wash uses hot lava and they send the clothes to the surface of the sun for drying. We've had hard plastic sock keepers come back melted from the laundry.

Yes, I can confirm. The heat actually melted off logos, etc. 

3 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I don't send anything to the laundry that hasn't been washed and dried many times at home.  Anything delicate gets sent to be dry cleaned.  Celebrity is not going to change its laundry procedures to accommodate you so you have to learn to work with what's available.  And, yes, hand washing with their shampoo works very well.

Exactly this!!!  This is what I've done as well, and never had an issue.  Also - Any of my super delicate stuff - like a really nice dress I wore on chic night - I figure unless I've spilled on it - I really don't need to get it cleaned onboard after 1 wear.  My exercise clothes I wore to the gym are pretty good in the wash - so no worries with those.  I can also rinse them in the shower and dry in the cabin in between going to the laundry.