New Muster Precedure

Butterbean1000

There is a video you can watch that is playing in your stateroom. However you have to report to your muster station and they mark you complete.

They are giving demos at each muster station. 

The process only takes a minute or two. 

if you do have new cruisers be sure they understand the process.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

So no mandatory video?  Go straight to muster station and that's it?  Nice.

Weeeelllll, technicallyyyyy, you're supposed to watch the video in your stateroom and then go to your muster station for a life jacket presentation, but most rooms aren't even ready til 130 so I don't see how that's expected. Just go straight to your muster station and you'll be good to go.

• Like 2

There is value in reporting to your muster station for the drill rather than just watching a video in your stateroom. In a real emergency, you will have the memory of having walked to the right place, rather than just having read or heard where to go.

Edited by carol louise
Correction
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I have been told to go to my muster spot, be it in the theatre or outdoors.  Is this something recent watching a video? I'm on Elation this Thanksgiving so I'd love to find out ahead of embarkation as well👍

I was on the Elation 10/30. You still have to go to your assigned muster station. As always, there are TV videos that reinforce ship evacuations, just like the debarkation videos. However, there was a new online debarkation signup. We picked a time to get off the ship (we carry our luggage). We picked the earliest time. Debarkation was orderly. However, we met in the theater, which is one floor above Empress. The older people have trouble carrying luggage down 1 flight of stairs and the elevators are slow and small.

• Thanks 2

Last couple of cruises, we simply walked right to the muster station upon boarding, chatted with the crew member for a moment, watched her don a life jacket and she told us to meet there if called to do so in an emergency, and we were on our way. Easy peasy. After we got to our cabin, we watched the video that was playing on repeat on the television.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

I was on the Elation 10/30. You still have to go to your assigned muster station. As always, there are TV videos that reinforce ship evacuations, just like the debarkation videos. However, there was a new online debarkation signup. We picked a time to get off the ship (we carry our luggage). We picked the earliest time. Debarkation was orderly. However, we met in the theater, which is one floor above Empress. The older people have trouble carrying luggage down 1 flight of stairs and the elevators are slow and small.

We carry on as well but my mom is with us on this cruise and uses a wheelchair for embarkation and debarkation so we will be a little slower than usual. Thanks for the info!!

When we cruised in August, my wife and 18 year old son went to the muster station, while I was taking care of some reservations.  I showed up at the muster station about 30 minutes later and was informed they had no need to see me, as my wife and son had already taken care of the requirements for our cabin.  

So not everyone has to stop by the muster station (or at least on my cruise they didn't).  😉

58 minutes ago, BelowDeck4us said:

When we cruised in August, my wife and 18 year old son went to the muster station, while I was taking care of some reservations.  I showed up at the muster station about 30 minutes later and was informed they had no need to see me, as my wife and son had already taken care of the requirements for our cabin.  

So not everyone has to stop by the muster station (or at least on my cruise they didn't).  😉

Well, that's a bit scary lol

In August on Sunshine I had my card scanned at muster and they checked in the whole cabin for muster.  DH and DS never had cards scanned.  No demo there just check in and video running in stateroom.  

Edited by Drazil65

My last two Muster station checking onCarnival Radiance  were done using the boarding pass as our sign n sail cards had not yet arrived. However, my hub app kept telling me I had not completed it. We went down and double checked- they confirmed I had. So do not freak out if you did indeed complete and they scanned paper, hub app apparently not always correct. 
p.s. when they do the audio safety alert it can be quite deafening in cabin, ours I had to leave, next cruise husband held pillow on ceiling speaker. This cruise in same cabin, going to put on noise cancel headphones to cut volume. I can still hear but not get a headache.Just an alert if traveling with young kids, may make them cry if near a speaker. 

5 hours ago, BelowDeck4us said:

That's not how ir's supposed to work.  The SOLAS muster drill requirement is for each passenger, not a representative from each stateroom.  When they scan one S&S card, they can see everyone assigned to that cabin on their tablets, but they're only supposed to select those who are physically present as having checked in, for obvious reasons.

19 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

That's not how ir's supposed to work.  The SOLAS muster drill requirement is for each passenger, not a representative from each stateroom.  When they scan one S&S card, they can see everyone assigned to that cabin on their tablets, but they're only supposed to select those who are physically present as having checked in, for obvious reasons.

Totally agree with you.  If you'd been there, you would have seen me struggling to keep a very surprised look off my face.  

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Same with me on Sunshine. My husband was occupied with something so I went with my parents. When I got there, they scanned me and checked off my husband. I asked if he still needed to come and they said no.  

3 hours ago, jedi bobs said:

When I was on the Paradise last year I went to my muster station first, they scaned my pass and let me go no demo required, I did not like that, I may be platium, but what if I was blue or red?

They might be able to tell you are platinum when they scan you and know that you have seen the life jacket demo many times before. 

5 hours ago, staceyglow said:

They might be able to tell you are platinum when they scan you and know that you have seen the life jacket demo many times before. 

Prior sailings are irrelevant. The SOLAS muster drill requirement stands alone for each passenger on each sailing. 

And part of the requirement is to know where to go in the event mustering is required.  The locations of the muster stations vary by ship and by stateroom within the same ship, so no amount of prior sailings is necessarily going to help you get to your muster station on your current cruise.

• Like 1