Island Princess being sold?

CruzenDoc

7 hours ago, Michael4650 said:

Yes this is me   I have been logging in with just a screen name since 2004 and the system just knocked that out. I am trying to get my memoak screen name back and connected to my email address. But yes this is your old friend 

😄    Are you on a time out ?   

• Haha 1

I don't mind it being sold, but hopefully not scrapped. Some of my first cruises were on the gaudy Carnival Imagination and Inspiration out of Long Beach, and it was really disheartening to watch them being beached and dismantled in Turkey. I saw the same video, and she mentioned a new Princess app on Dec 1--I guess I'll see when I'm on Island Princess then. She also said, more interesting, that as a travel agent she's been getting calls from confused customers who see price drops for 2024-25 cruises, who rightfully wonder what about the Princess promise not to drop fares.

23 hours ago, Michael4650 said:

Yes this is me   I have been logging in with just a screen name since 2004 and the system just knocked that out. I am trying to get my memoak screen name back and connected to my email address. But yes this is your old friend 

I am back to normal almost

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 11/19/2023 at 12:17 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well, that is *somewhat* the story of the Pacific Princess in 2020. We were on the first leg  of a WC where we got off in LA. The ship continued on and made it as far as the Indian Ocean before it was recalled due to the pandemic. It wasn't too long after that it was sold to Azamara. Quite possible that it was the plan all along to sell it off after that WC.

We had booked the Pacific Princess for an October 2020 10 day (Tahiti round trip) cruise that was canceled due to Covid before any announcement about the sale.

On 11/19/2023 at 9:36 AM, DCThunder said:

Island is/was supposed to go to a drydock session sometime in 2024 before the world cruise starts.

As soon as I read the headline, I figured it was going into drydock and someone misunderstood. 🤣

Both the Island Princess and the Coral Princess were last refurbished in 2019 and both are scheduled for drydock in Fall 2024. You can book both ships for cruises in 2025 so I don't think either is going away.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MacMadame said:

.... You can book both ships for cruises in 2025 so I don't think either is going away.

History says that Princess taking bookings for ships doesn't mean they won't be sold during that time. Take the Pacific Princess for example. I had two bookings on her when her sale was announced. All Princess did was cancel our bookings and refund the deposits.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

History says that Princess taking bookings for ships doesn't mean they won't be sold during that time. Take the Pacific Princess for example. I had two bookings on her when her sale was announced. All Princess did was cancel our bookings and refund the deposits.

They better not sell both ships that go through the old locks on the Panama Canal before my cruise! 😄 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 10:17 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well, that is *somewhat* the story of the Pacific Princess in 2020. We were on the first leg  of a WC where we got off in LA. The ship continued on and made it as far as the Indian Ocean before it was recalled due to the pandemic. It wasn't too long after that it was sold to Azamara. Quite possible that it was the plan all along to sell it off after that WC.

I was just going to mention that. We had 8 or 10 cruises booked on the Pacific Princess for winter 2020-21.  Their cancellation was handled quite differently than COVID-related cancellations occurring at the same time. 

1 hour ago, MacMadame said:

They better not sell both ships that go through the old locks on the Panama Canal before my cruise! 😄 

We are scheduled to sail the Coral Jan 2025 for one more chance to sail the old locks

18 hours ago, MacMadame said:

January 4th? Come to our Roll Call thread!

I will see you on board   I was born in Oakland and lived in the East Bay until about 5 years ago 

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1

This topic got started over a, "Let's Go Travel," video. Another thing Allison mentioned was that the Medallion App was becoming the Princess Cruises App on December 1st.

Yesterday, I got a Happy Thanksgiving call from my CVP and he informed me this is true.

I have no idea what changes, if any, were made, but I sure hope some of the issues got resolved. Certainly we've seen questions here that some new to Princess don't know the difference between the Medallion App and token. I hope it is more than just a name change.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

This topic got started over a, "Let's Go Travel," video. Another thing Allison mentioned was that the Medallion App was becoming the Princess Cruises App on December 1st.

Yesterday, I got a Happy Thanksgiving call from my CVP and he informed me this is true.

I have no idea what changes, if any, were made, but I sure hope some of the issues got resolved. Certainly we've seen questions here that some new to Princess don't know the difference between the Medallion App and token. I hope it is more than just a name change.

It could very possibly be just a move over to a different name and no real changes.  I would think that current app users would just be moved over. If everyone has to actively make a change themselves it could be a disaster 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, memoak said:

It could very possibly be just a move over to a different name and no real changes.  I would think that current app users would just be moved over. If everyone has to actively make a change themselves it could be a disaster 

Moved over? Not sure how that would work, especially if it is a new App that has to be downloaded onto an applicable device. I would think once you download the new App, you would simply logon and your applicable PCL booking data would be downloaded. 

For us, it would be nice if we were finally able to simply use our PCL login information rather than a booking number to log into the app, as is the case with their current app.

29 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Moved over? Not sure how that would work, especially if it is a new App that has to be downloaded onto an applicable device. I would think once you download the new App, you would simply logon and your applicable PCL booking data would be downloaded. 

For us, it would be nice if we were finally able to simply use our PCL login information rather than a booking number to log into the app, as is the case with their current app.

With 6 cruises on the app now I would hate if the made you download a new one and all the data didn’t come over. People are confused enough now 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, memoak said:

With 6 cruises on the app now I would hate if the made you download a new one and all the data didn’t come over. People are confused enough now 

Actually, the data on your current Medallion app as well as mine is uploaded from a centralized PCL database. For example, the same database your PCL Personalizer logs into is the same database your Medallion app logs into, and I would imagine so will the new Princess app. There will be no “transfer” of data from the “old” app to the “new” app.

Now, once onboard the app may also access data from a shipboard system or some database which maintains the data for that current cruise you’re on.

But then that’s just my opinion sitting over here in the peanut gallery. 😁

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Actually, the data on your current Medallion app as well as mine is uploaded from a centralized PCL database. For example, the same database your PCL Personalizer logs into is the same database your Medallion app logs into, and I would imagine so will the new Princess app. There will be no “transfer” of data from the “old” app to the “new” app.

Now, once onboard the app may also access data from a shipboard system or some database which maintains the data for that current cruise you’re on.

But then that’s just my opinion sitting over here in the peanut gallery. 😁

Actually it seems like a lot of the app is a come one for trying to get more money. All my cruises show no packages but direct me to the personalizer which says yes you do have the plus package so not the best data being presented 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

.............. was that the Medallion App was becoming the Princess Cruises App on December 1st.

In the Play Store, it has been the Princess MedallionApp for a while now.  Princess was not in the name originally, IIRC.  A minor change to drop "Medallion".  We shall see.

8 minutes ago, memoak said:

Actually it seems like a lot of the app is a come one for trying to get more money. All my cruises show no packages but direct me to the personalizer which says yes you do have the plus package so not the best data being presented 

True. It will be interesting to see how much versatility the new app is going to offer. Personally, we only use the app during the check-in process, when necessary, and to research what’s going on regarding entertainment and excursions when we’re on the ship.

Even though there are quite a few folks that order drinks and food with it while onboard, we never have. But when we’re not on a cruise, we exclusively use the Personalizer for pretty much everything we need to check on. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser