Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

Jim, thanks for the complete and very educational live description of your trip.  I don't comment or ask many questions since you have every detail covered.  We are headed out on the Ascent in February and look forward to evaluating all the changes.  Safe travels home and Go Vols, Beat Iowa!

• Thanks 1

Jim & Iain, thank you for providing such a delightful & comprehensive photo/commentary journey. May happiness & health follow you both into your upcoming adventures. Happy Christmas & Joyous New Year. Melody

• Thanks 1

Jim, I followed Norwaylady's review first, and then jumped on yours.  Thanks to you both for a great halfway around the world review.  The pictures were enthralling and gave me a glimpse into a world I probably won't see in person. Traveling is always an adventure, so thanks for sharing yours.  

Merry Christmas and I hope the jet lag is not too bad.    Trish

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2023 at 5:37 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Reading about and experiencing are two different things 

I had a great time on our 2 cruise this year and have a great price for our cruise in November 

I hope you have the opportunity to post about your experience.   To be honest this is the first time I remember about being negative about a Ship.     I try to always be upbeat but felt like I had let myself down by being such a whiner.

I look forward to having a much better experience on Solstice in 3 months.   Time to get planning.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2023 at 5:47 PM, DaKahuna said:

I sure would like to know who these "Most Loyal Customers" are?  They certainly do not include me as I have never been asked my opinion on any of the changes.  From what I understand you and Iian, as almost Double Zenith's, have not been asked directly to provide input or feedback. Would be nice to know the demographic of these "Most Loyal Customers" because I do not really see folks in my age group (70+) bending over backwards to go to Coco Cay.  🙂

With the exception of the end of cruise survey we have never been asked our opinion.    I've not heard of any Zenith's that have been sought out for feedback other than that passed on during conversation to Staff.   

Zenith's do have the opportunity to get the ear of Chief Officers and at lunches and gathering.    Having said that,  the feedback I get from other's is they usually listen and then just give the company line.   I haven't seen it ever makes a difference as the decisions are made in Miami. 

• Like 8

On 12/20/2023 at 6:38 PM, Gracie115 said:

We just finished our 1st Oceania cruise.  Service was amazing, the specialty restaurants great, especially Toscana.  The "steak house" Polo Grill is far better than Fine Cut, superior service and food. 

Our butler was wonderful, the PH1 stateroom elegant and obviously designed by people who had actually been on a ship.  

We were very pleased and booked our next cruise on O while on board. 

Ran into several other former X people who were equally as happy.  Am sure you will find the same.

Gracie -  Thanks for your recommendations.     Now that I'm home I will explore our next cruises.   Like I said earlier -  I only have 3 cruises booked with Celebrity.   Two of those are in April of 2024.  I have never had so few cruises booked.....

I really trust your judgement and recommendations so Oceania will be on our short list.

• Like 4

On 12/20/2023 at 7:29 PM, jelayne said:

Agree,  we have done 12 cruises since the restart and experienced ships at less than 5% capacity, staffing shortages, supply chain issues and changing policies.  But we have enjoyed each of the 12 and have 6 more booked.

We have friends who sail HAL, others who sail NCL and  Princess and others who are Viking and Azamara fans.  MSC friends love the YC but never leave the YC in there words “it’s a mob scene outside of the YC”.  All have shared experiences of changing policies, cutbacks, staff shortages and escalating prices.  We are looking at other lines but we have tried smaller “luxury “;ships and the mega ships and neither were what we enjoyed.  We leave in 29 days for what we expect will be another great cruise on a beautiful ship, with an amazing crew and we will have a great time.  

Wonderful to hear.   Curious which ship and itinerary is your next cruise.   We are next on Solstice (revolutionized)  with the old Michael's Club.     We sailed her last year and love her.    My expectations are once again high.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 7:49 PM, cachouonacruise said:

Jim, 

Thank-you very much for your review, comments and beautiful pictures! I really reading it and looking at all these beautiful images! 

I have learned a lot, thanks to your sharing of information and I am able to adjust my expectations more appropriately.

I wish you and Lain a safe return home and continued enjoyment on your future cruising experience, on whichever cruise line you will deem better suited for you.

For us, if things go as booked, we will also be experiencing both the Edge and New-Zealand for the first time in just a bit more than a month! So we are beginning more and more to really look forward to this experience! 

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.   New Zealand was far more amazing than I had even dreamed.   Make sure you check the weather -  I usually google each port and month to get a good average of temperatures.    Be prepared for windy and cooler temperatures but again they can often change over night to hotter and calm weather.     Many Kiwi's have told us,  If you don't like the weather just wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wonderful to hear.   Curious which ship and itinerary is your next cruise.   We are next on Solstice (revolutionized)  with the old Michael's Club.     We sailed her last year and love her.    My expectations are once again high.

When was the Solstice revolutionized? We were on her in February and I didn't notice any updates. There were a few things that needed fixing like the Solarium waterfall and the pool deck water feature? 

On 12/20/2023 at 10:19 PM, verizon said:

I think is Duck Horn a very nice wine from California.Much Much better than you get from Celebrity De Coy.

Duckhorn is a very well known winery in Napa Valley -   They purchased their first 10-acre property in St. Helena in 1976 named Marlee's Vineyard after Dan's Wife -  Marlee.   

They now own 40 Wineries.   Theirs is an incredible journey -

1978 was the first production of Merlot under Tree Palms, that year they also harvested Cabernet Sauvignon for Stag's Leap and Howell Mountain. 

It was not until 1979 that they released their own labeled Merlot.  

It was not for another 20 before they opened the Duckhorn Tasting room adjacent to Marlee Vineyard in St Helena.    Prior to that they were only doing tastings by appointment only. 

They grow grapes for many of the smaller vineyards and have a great portfolio.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2023 at 7:28 AM, chemmo said:

Sincere thanks for so much more than a review…

As always your pictures and information are more than one can get from any ‘professional’ reviews. However, what makes your reviews stand out is you let us, the readers, join you and Iain on a bit of your life journey. 

Sincere best wishes to you both for a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year! 

I hope you have a wonderful Xmas and New Years.    We will be thanking of you.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 9:00 AM, tfred said:

I came from the camera business and obviously it has been gutted by phone cameras   The new iPhone results are superb for the everyday vacationer and better than most older cameras still in use. New cameras are expensive (generally over $1K) and somewhat bulky to carry - even the Fuji 100V which is fixed lens.  Low light is what gets the phone cameras to look funky. I find that I have to bring a phone batter recharging pack with me since using an iPhone for photos, map directions and texts causes it to run down quickly 

I usually make a Shutterfly album of our cruise and find that even the largest prints (double bleed) look very good.  I don't make wall sized prints (ran out of walls) but you can actually get some better, bigger prints with a phone.  

I have really been enjoying the new iPhone.   It is incredible with low light photography.    Just have to learn to hold it steady and it pulls the best frames and creates a very usable picture.  

Like you I always have a couple batter packs with me in my DayPack.    Somehow I didn't pack one and had to buy a new Day Pack in Singapore.    A couple days later I noticed it had a USB connection from the inside package to a pocket on the outside.   Makes it easy for charging.   

The iPhone 15 really runs hot and burns the batter quickly when shooting.  

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 11:49 AM, Norwaylady said:

Thank you for a wonderful review! 

It´s been a pleasure to follow your adventure down under❤️

I must admit, I was swearing a bit when you arrived in Milford Sound/Fjordland.... Really wanted to be there❤️

We really ❤️ NZ

Wishing you a Christmas that's merry and bright🎅

Merry Christmas to you also.     One day we may get to see your beautiful Norwegian Fjords,   Covid got in our way last cruise we booked there and ended up spending 10 days in Lymington UK instead. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 1:29 PM, Wookie01 said:

@terrydtx a quick follow up as promised, we are anchored in the harbour and the magic carpet is being used for tender service, that’s a relief 🙂

Great to hear.    I never saw them working on the Magic Carpet and happy it is back in service.  It is a nice way to board Tenders.

Curious.    What time and day did they move from the terminal to the anchor location in Sydney Harbor.

10 hours ago, Rocky4 said:

Jim, thanks for the complete and very educational live description of your trip.  I don't comment or ask many questions since you have every detail covered.  We are headed out on the Ascent in February and look forward to evaluating all the changes.  Safe travels home and Go Vols, Beat Iowa!

Look forward to your remarks and experience.    Go Vols!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

When was the Solstice revolutionized? We were on her in February and I didn't notice any updates. There were a few things that needed fixing like the Solarium waterfall and the pool deck water feature? 

oops.. Typo  -- Solstice was not revolutionized.     She still has no Retreat Deck and Original Michael's Club.     I'm not disappointed at all as I like the Michael's Club in the old Club Like Paneling.  

• Like 3

Well it is time to wrap up this Live Post.

I wanted to thank each and everyone that have been along for the Journey.   I've enjoyed our conversations and enjoyed hearing from many that contact me directly.  

I often hear from folks that are uncomfortable posting on Celebrity due to the attacks and remarks from some posters.   I hope my live reviews feel like a safe place where any and all polite comments are welcomed 

We arrived yesterday around 9:00 AM to beautiful Blue Skies and mild temperatures.  

I did get 8  hours sleep on the plane but was still suffering jet lag.   I took a 1 hour nap around noon and barely stayed awake until 9:30 PM.  

I came down with "Cruise Cough" the day before the end of the cruise and it only got worse during the flight home.     I knew it was a matter of time before we caught  it as people were hacking and coughing throughout the ship and on all the excursions. 

I took a TheraFlu (Nighttime) before dead and was in shock when I awoke and looked at the clock.   It was 10:30 AM.      Iain of course greeted me with "Good Afternoon",   I was going to check if you were still breathing,    He then confessed he had not awaken until 10:00 himself.  

I did my short walk (5 miles) this afternoon as I didn't want to push it.    I'm feeling really loopy and disorientated but that is common of Jet Lag.   

I wanted to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas  and Happy New Year.  

• Like 38

Ok for my final post  - I sought the help of Open AI -    ................

We are at last home from your long cruise to New Zealand and Australia.  We had a great time, and our journey was a euphoria.

We sailed through the vast ocean, and saw the beauty of the sea, The waves, the breeze, the sunsets, and the horizon so free.

We explored the lands of Kiwis and Aussies, and their culture so rich, The food, the music, the people, and the landscapes that bewitch.

Now that we’re back, it’s time to celebrate the festive season, With our loved ones, our followers, and everyone with a reason.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all who followed our Live Post,  May your days be filled with joy, love, and a warm eggnog.

May the new year bring you peace, success, and prosperity, And may your memories of this cruise and your upcoming cruises last for eternity.

Thank you for following our  journey.   We look forward to more adventures, more travels, and more glory.

Happy Holidays!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Next is on the Ascent, in a SV.  Then a B2B on Edge, again in a SV and in the fall a B2B on the Eclipse in a veranda. We can’t justify the suite price since we get the beverage package and wi-fi.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Looking forward to having a much better experience on Solstice in 3 months.   Time to get planning.

Back to the S class ships!
You have confirmed my feeling about the E class ships.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 3

On 12/21/2023 at 2:43 PM, DaKahuna said:

really like the Pike Road Pinot Noir.  The Willamette Valley is one of my favorite wine regions. 

I have not had this Pinot, but also am a big fan of ones from the Willamette Valley, so will look for this one. Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well it is time to wrap up this Live Post.

I wanted to thank each and everyone that have been along for the Journey.   I've enjoyed our conversations and enjoyed hearing from many that contact me directly.  

I often hear from folks that are uncomfortable posting on Celebrity due to the attacks and remarks from some posters.   I hope my live reviews feel like a safe place where any and all polite comments are welcomed 

We arrived yesterday around 9:00 AM to beautiful Blue Skies and mild temperatures.  

I did get 8  hours sleep on the plane but was still suffering jet lag.   I took a 1 hour nap around noon and barely stayed awake until 9:30 PM.  

I came down with "Cruise Cough" the day before the end of the cruise and it only got worse during the flight home.     I knew it was a matter of time before we caught  it as people were hacking and coughing throughout the ship and on all the excursions. 

I took a TheraFlu (Nighttime) before dead and was in shock when I awoke and looked at the clock.   It was 10:30 AM.      Iain of course greeted me with "Good Afternoon",   I was going to check if you were still breathing,    He then confessed he had not awaken until 10:00 himself.  

I did my short walk (5 miles) this afternoon as I didn't want to push it.    I'm feeling really loopy and disorientated but that is common of Jet Lag.   

I wanted to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas  and Happy New Year.  

Jim

What a great adventure and review.  Hope you and Iain have a Great Holiday Season and New Year.

Trip and Pam

Edited by MisterMet