Aussie dollar improving

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Aussie dollar improving  $Aus65.6.  

What are the chances of it continuing to improve?  ?Early Christmas present. 

Oh dear poor Kiwis - $NZ60.3

NZ and Aust should be being inundated with Americans!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, arxcards said:

How long is a piece of string?

Personally, I don't think it will continue to improve, and will be lucky to hold the current rate over the next few months.

It would only be a Christmas present for those buying $US.

It would be a present for people cruising and travelling overseas, using $US. 

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

It would be a present for people cruising and travelling overseas, using $US. 

Like me! I'll be upgrading to Plus when I board to use up some OBC, maybe I should buy the rest of the OBC today. Not that it makes a big difference for that level of spending. Might load some USD on my travel card though.

4 hours ago, icat2000 said:

That nothing. I travelled to US in 1999 at it was like 30c to the Us dollar. 

Yes - me too. Remember that period well. I can never work out why, when the American economy gets into a mess, the Aussie Dollar goes down 😞

• Like 1

As an aside the new Argentine President wants to adopt the US$ instead of the peso. My son is in Argentina at the moment on business, he says the Argies seem happy for once, well this week anyway. I was in Argentina in 2007, the currency was stuffed then.

Argie Peso is at rock bottom, 202 Peso for 1 AUD. 
355 peso for 1 USD.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

Yes - me too. Remember that period well. I can never work out why, when the American economy gets into a mess, the Aussie Dollar goes down 😞

The US economy is actually very strong right now. I don't know where people get the idea it is so bad. The U.S. economy is set to expand at a 5.8% annualized rate in the third quarter

Unemployment is at record low levels. Wages are rising. Inflation is coming down.

That last one is probably why there is a slight uptick in the AUD/USD rate. Downward pressure on interest rates make the US dollar less desirable to investors, so they start looking for other places with higher rates of return, which increases demand for second rank currencies like the AUD.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 3

Just got my US dollars today for my cruise next week.  Very slightly better rate than it has been for the last week, but still not good.  Maybe I could have waited a few days in case it went up a bit, but I doubt it would make much difference.  It's not a huge amount, just to pay for shore excursions in South America, where all the independent companies quote their prices in USD.

The Argentine situation is very complex. Their current rate of inflation is about 140%.  There is an official rate, and then there is the "blue rate", which is considerably better. When you purchase things in advance using a foreign credit card, they charge the lousy "official rate", but then a couple of days later, you get about 40% of what you paid reimbursed to your credit card.

18 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The US economy is actually very strong right now.

I wasn't really making a reference to current economic conditions. Slight upticks like that mentioned here now are nothing. But todays AUD/USD is greatly different to those times when it was 33 cents to the USD or $1.00 to the USD. I have read that the reason for these wide swings is that the USD - being the Worlds Reserve Currency- is the "safeplace to goto" when stuff happens around the World . War breaks out? Sell AUD and buy AUD. US economy collapses?? Sell AUD and buy USD. So when times are dodgy around the World (which is almost everyday these days) - sell AUD and buy USD. The big boys want their wealth in USD not Aussie Dollars or Russian Rubles 🙂 

Edited by bazzaw
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ekka49 said:

It would be good to be back at the 2012 exchange rate  A$1 for US$1.

I remember it well… we did a few Crystal cruises booked through a US website.   They were wonderful.   Good terrific OBC.  

Eileen

• Like 1

7 hours ago, icat2000 said:

That nothing. I travelled to US in 1999 at it was like 30c to the Us dollar. 

Our lowest ever official rate was 48 cents to the $US in 2001. That would have been bad enough. About the same time we were around 33 cents to the UK pound. Travelling on either currency would have also lost 2 or 3 cents in conversion commission.

We were on a cruise in Alaska in 2012, and expected mostly US passengers. Instead, the Aussies were spending it up and made up nearly 2000 of the 2400 passengers. There was also 150 Kiwis. We enjoyed our 4 weeks through the US, Alaska, Canadian Rockies at better than parity.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Our lowest ever official rate was 48 cents to the $US in 2001.

We did a Southern Caribbean cruise on Volendam, just after September 11. While on the cruise, I was just doubling the price of everything and adding a bit. Prior to the cruise we went to New Orleans and drove to Fort Lauderdale. It was a very enjoyable trip.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

Our lowest ever official rate was 48 cents to the $US in 2001. That would have been bad enough. About the same time we were around 33 cents to the UK pound. Travelling on either currency would have also lost 2 or 3 cents in conversion commission.

We were on a cruise in Alaska in 2012, and expected mostly US passengers. Instead, the Aussies were spending it up and made up nearly 2000 of the 2400 passengers. There was also 150 Kiwis. We enjoyed our 4 weeks through the US, Alaska, Canadian Rockies at better than parity.

We did our very first cruise to Alaska with HAL when there was parity. Stuff in the States is very cheap when it's dollar for dollar. Still remains our best cruise ever incidentally and spent a lot of money since, trying to find a cruise experience to match it - but I digress.

Cruising with HAL in February to NZ. Hoping for the rise to continue. Wondering about buying OBC now, or wait. There is some thought that the Aussie will continue to rise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Galesa said:

We did our very first cruise to Alaska with HAL when there was parity. Stuff in the States is very cheap when it's dollar for dollar. Still remains our best cruise ever incidentally and spent a lot of money since, trying to find a cruise experience to match it - but I digress.

Cruising with HAL in February to NZ. Hoping for the rise to continue. Wondering about buying OBC now, or wait. There is some thought that the Aussie will continue to rise.

I know what you mean.  My first cruises overseas were on half world cruises.  Most cruises don't come close to that experience.