Melbourne: Culture High World Ranking

TLCOhio

36 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Not into culture, like concerts, shows, shopping etc but like museums, restaurants. Not mad on Melbourne as a result. Had 3 days there last year on Coral Princess with mic and rosie, julie and rolf, plus a few others, they looked after me. When we got stuck there because of rough seas outside, Went into Melbourne every day. It was ok, but not quite to my taste.

OMG, I remember the graffiti is out of control there, they just paint all over the alley ways.:classic_tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, mr walker said:

My first thought was actually that the people who voted for Melbourne having the best culture must have never been to Melbourne, or at least not spent much time there, or perhaps the problem is that they haven't spent enough time elsewhere 😮

All my life I have heard Melbourne has the best culture, the best shopping, the best coffee, the best food etc etc. My experience is that they do not excel in any of these, but I admit that they are the sporting capital of the country, and indeed perhaps the world. 

If you go to the right places, their coffee is excellent. 7/11 coffee is boring in Melbourne as it is everywhere, but Lygon St has plenty of top rate cafe's.

If culture is theatre, ballet, art galleries, museums - well, they can have it.

4 hours ago, bretts173 said:

The most overrated thing in Melbourne, you can just as good coffee nowadays in any city in Australia.

As an exercise look up google with the phrase "which city in the world has the best coffee" You will find that Melbourne may not always be ranked #1 but it makes the list of EVERY single survey. Something no other city in Australia or the World does.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 3:13 AM, TLCOhio said:

From the London/UK Daily Mail this morning, they had this headline: The best cities in the world for culture in 2023 named with these background highlights: “Time Out's ranking was drawn up via a survey of 21,000 city-dwellers across the globe who were asked about the 'quality' and 'affordability' of their city's cultural scene.”

In Australia, here are their reporting highlight for their world rankings: "In 10th spot is Melbourne, with Time Out describing it as a 'pretty fun place to be'.  'From graffiti-covered laneways to the artistic hub of Fed Square, culture is alive and well in Melbourne,' says Time Out.  Its 'thriving community of creatives and artists' makes the city 'a pretty fun place to be', the publication notes.  It continues: 'Take it from the locals: Melburnians praised their city for its vibrancy, variety and sense of community, shouting out annual events like Moomba as well as cultural institutions like the NGV, Australia’s most-visited and longest-running art museum.' "

Does Sydney feel over-looked?  Or, is Melbourne better for culture versus Sydney?

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-12779565/The-best-cities-world-culture-2023-named-Time-Edinburgh-beating-New-York-Melbourne-trumping-Paris-none-make-five.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 246,392 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

Mexico city #1,  😆. All the time I've spent there never had given me a feeling that it deserved #1. 

The problem with measuring culture is that it can only really be done and voted on by the actual people living it, it is almost impossible for an outsider to obtain as they are only visiting and things are done differently for visitors, it is not normal daily life.

A definition below.

A culture is a way of life of a group of people--the behaviors, beliefs, values, and symbols that they accept, generally without thinking about them, and that are passed along by communication and imitation from one generation to the next. Culture is symbolic communication.
  • Like 1

Culture to me is measured by "am I prepared to pay for a flight and accommodation?" to see live theatre. 

We used to regularly fly to Melbourne and Sydney to see live theatre, prior to Covid.  

My daughter is currently in Manhattan.  She has filled her slot of shows she'd like to see whilst she is in Manhattan.  She also goes to Marie's Crisis, in Greenwich Village, where she sings along to Broadway tunes played on the piano in a relaxed atmosphere.  

Other people's culture is their love of ballet, orchestra, opera, etc. 

What is considered as culture? Here are two meanings from Oxford Language website - 

1. the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively

2, The ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society

So what does that mean for Melbourne being in the top 10? I think as a Melburnian that both contribute to the city being in the top 10 - arts (museums, art galleries, music, opera, ballet) plus the festivals, sporting events, coffee, graffiti filled laneways, food (cafes and restaurants, food trucks) all contribute to Melbourne being listed. Our immigrants over the nearly past two centuries have contributed greatly to what Melbourne's culture is.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, possum52 said:

What is considered as culture? Here are two meanings from Oxford Language website - 

1. the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively

2, The ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society

So what does that mean for Melbourne being in the top 10? I think as a Melburnian that both contribute to the city being in the top 10 - arts (museums, art galleries, music, opera, ballet) plus the festivals, sporting events, coffee, graffiti filled laneways, food (cafes and restaurants, food trucks) all contribute to Melbourne being listed. Our immigrants over the nearly past two centuries have contributed greatly to what Melbourne's culture is.

Visitors can taste it but it is the locals that live it.

• Like 2