Do I need extra deals - booked GS

BANV

Hi - first time cruiser and our family of adults is in GS on oasis 7 day Europe trip. Should we be buying any extra pre-cruise deals like water, dining, casita, drinks package? It’s not very clear what’s offered complimentary with GS besides one separate dining hall. Thanks for your help 

You do not need any packages.  There will be ample places to eat that you have already paid for in your fare.  I would not pay for another restaurant until I have tried the included food…it has always been just fine.  Water will be served in the restaurants, is available in the buffet, and what comes from your faucet is fine to drink.  But if you prefer bottled water, it will be available for purchase.  If you expect to drink a lot of adult beverages, you might want a drinks package.  
 Folks over on the board here for Royal Caribbean can help you out in more detail.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  EM

• Thanks 1

Don't buy an internet package. The suite includes an internet account for each person. 

The suite also includes access to the suite lounge which has a bar. They serve free wine and beer all day, along with complimentary mixed drinks during happy hour. With all those free drinks, plus being off the ship during port days, you would be hard pressed to make a drink package worth the cost. 

A casita is not such a good deal, and you will have access to the suite sun deck which has plenty of seating, so no casita needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you drink more then 5-6  alcoholic drinks per day- maybe you might consider a package- However Casitas aren't at all necessary- you have the suite deck-  The casitas are typically surrounded by many chairs and in the sun.  Spend your money on other perks such as dinner at a speciality restaurant.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Biker19 said:

On Oasis, yes.

Okay.  When we started cruising Royal we always stayed in GS but that was before Oasis class.  Now, JS only and we're D+ so we have other perks.  I just haven't really paid attention to the "perks" for GS and above.  

1 minute ago, BND said:

I just haven't really paid attention to the "perks" for GS and above.  

Almost every time Voom is mentioned as a perk for GS and up on I, O and Q class ships, folks here keep want it to be included on other ships - RCI is not listening.

Multiple thoughts:

- No, you don't NEED a single extra to enjoy your cruise.  Now that we're retired and can cruise more often, we've tried cruising in an inside room with just a few purchased drinks, and we're 100% satisfied.  We use that as our baseline and add extras sparingly.  

- Is your European cruise port-intensive?  If I'm right, consider that you'll likely be off the ship much of the day -- which will affect how much you'll use internet or a drink package.  Also, when you're in port you'll likely have wifi access and cheaper drinks at cafes, etc.  

- We never buy any "extra cost" food onboard and are rarely disappointed -- and, if we are disappointed, another no-cost option always exists.  We enjoy what's already paid for and save our money for restaurants at home.  

- Water is good onboard.  Ice water is always available in the Windjammer Buffet or Promenade Cafe.  Maybe other spots too.  You could bring along a wide-neck refillable bottle, if you wish, but I prefer to pick up a cold glass whenever I want.  

- The Casitas don't interest me.  They're a deck above the pool -- a great place to walk, not a great place to camp out for the day.  

- Having said that, if you're going to spend extra on ... well, anything, NOW is the time to do it.  The Black Friday sales are better than they have been in years, and they'll probably only last a few more days.  Go ahead and book (knowing that you must pay NOW ... the cost isn't added to your bill), and if you change your mind, you can "drop" the extras up until a few days before your departure.  

• Thanks 1

For drinks you will get a 3 hour happy hour times depends on ship , normally 5 to 8 , my cruise this week is 4:30 to 7:30 only in suite lounge. I like suite dining room for breakfast and lunch but prefer specialty restaurants for dinner so I bought UDP  which allows you to eat dinner and some lunches in specialty restaurants of your choice. You should get a email about 5 days before you sail from concierge and they will tell you all your suite perks.