Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

18 hours ago, island lady said:

Our "foodie tour" aka "Taste of Ushuaia" was really nice.  Only 8 of us, plus another crew member from the shops on board. 

First stop was a smoke house/fresh fish market.  Toured behind the scenes with the smokers, a left over monster fish (head) from one of the processes.  Then tasting some crab, smoked cheese, and smoked lamb.  

20240117_080811.jpg

20240117_080856.jpg

20240117_081634.jpg

We visited that same shop on our Celebrity food tour.  We haven’t opened what we bought yet.  Crab and salmon mousse.

We got a sweet white wine to start which was also the dessert wine at the last stop.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I also take pictures of rocks, shells, trees, sky, birds, etc.. I love the ocean, but I also love nature.  I would have grabbed a couple of those rocks and shells to bring home 

Beautiful pictures!  🥰

Once again, as usual....I am following the weather reports of the ports we will visit.  When I saw the forecast for Punta Arenas (our next scheduled port for tomorrow)  I was concerned.  28 mile sustained winds, with 48 mile an hour gusts.  And...once again...a tendered port.  

Captain came on as we left Ushuaia just now, to tell us we had an 80% chance of no go.   Since we had a Penguin tour set up for Magdalena Island nature preserve with 1.5-2 hour ferry ride one way across the turbulent Magellan straits...I was already more than concerned as it was.  

Oh well...getting used to these "sea days"....and made us appreciate the last two days at beautiful Ushuaia.   Would we want to come back here again someday...oh yes!  😉 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Once again, as usual....I am following the weather reports of the ports we will visit.  When I saw the forecast for Punta Arenas (our next scheduled port for tomorrow)  I was concerned.  28 mile sustained winds, with 48 mile an hour gusts.  And...once again...a tendered port.  

Captain came on as we left Ushuaia just now, to tell us we had an 80% chance of no go.   Since we had a Penguin tour set up for Magdalena Island nature preserve with 1.5-2 hour ferry ride one way across the turbulent Magellan straits...I was already more than concerned as it was.  

Oh well...getting used to these "sea days"....and made us appreciate the last two days at beautiful Ushuaia.   Would we want to come back here again someday...oh yes!  😉 

Hope the weather eases out for you all.

I am thoroughly enjoying the crab pictures. Yummmy! I love the type of food tours you go on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Hope the weather eases out for you all.

I am thoroughly enjoying the crab pictures. Yummmy! I love the type of food tours you go on.

Me too...confirmed "foodies" here.  😉  

• Like 2

Coming out from the harbor that holds Ushuaia, to rejoin the Beagle Channel, I noticed a set of small rock islands with a light house at the end.  This we had to come around to circle back north.  The rocks looked like they were frosted with icing.  Ummm...yeah...stinky icing.  😛

Though my crappy phone camera cannot pick it up...binoculars showed hundreds of Penguins on the rocks, and a bunch of Sea Lions.  One tour boat circling for photo shots.  

20240118_130308.jpg

20240118_130351.jpg

20240118_130406.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Let me join in and express thanks to everyone on board who is posting about their experiences on this cruise.  CNN.com posted an extensive article on Wednesday, about this cruise,  TikTok has already garnered 253 million views, and several of the current passengers are prominently featured in the article.  Add to that, it's a very positive article, and almost portrays the influencer, who recently boarded, and promised to "cause chaos", as out of touch with the vibe on the ship.  Everyone seems as if they're enjoying the journey.  Please continue to do so.  The rest of us are enjoying it through your posts!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Then I wouldn’t take anything either….nor would I from Hawaii. Many years ago my MIL took a rock from Hawaii even though I told her not to, and when she got home negative things started to happen and she got worried and mailed the rock back to Hawaii 😳

And let's not forget what happened to Bobby Brady when he took that idol from the construction site! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

24 minutes ago, island lady said:

The rocks looked like they were frosted with icing.  Ummm...yeah...stinky icing.  😛

Though my crappy phone camera cannot pick it up...binoculars showed hundreds of Penguins on the rocks, and a bunch of Sea Lions. 

Good thing you can't smell that stinky icing from your balcony.  I can't even imagine how many years of build up of the crap there is. 🤢

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, doghog said:

Good thing you can't smell that stinky icing from your balcony.  I can't even imagine how many years of build up of the crap there is. 🤢

Au contraire...when I went out onto the balcony the wind was blowing just right...with me downwind.  🤢  Quickly headed back inside to finish my pictures and observations with the binoculars.  😉  

• Haha 9

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Au contraire...when I went out onto the balcony the wind was blowing just right...with me downwind.  🤢  Quickly headed back inside to finish my pictures and observations with the binoculars.  😉  

"Crap", I didn't think about that. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Had a wonderful self tour today.  Made it back to the ship at 1:25...though we are fast walkers...which helps.  😉  

The problem of course...to have lunch in town...are the hours for lunch.  The earliest restaurants open at noon...some not until 12:30 or 1:00.  With a 1:30 all aboard...we were taking our chances having lunch in town, with a long walk down the long pier to get back to the ship. 

After a 3 hour walk down every street we could find...we stumbled on the most popular fresh King Crab restaurant in town.  Tiny little "Mom and Pop" restaurant that has been there for years.  Luckily I stood on the doorstep 10 minutes before opening time...the line starting forming just after us.  Wow.  

Shots from the restaurant before it became packed, with additional lines forming once it was fully seated.  Oh wow...great choice!  We chose the recommended King Crab for two.  Picked out our victim from the tank...and set up with a great bottle of Argentine Sauvignon Blanc wine.  😉 Picture of the cute little restaurant before it became completely nuts with incoming people.  Interesting use of kitchen shears, versus "crab crackers" we use for Maine Lobster.  

20240118_100327.jpg

20240118_100528.jpg

20240118_100845.jpg

That thing looks SCARY.  😮 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, island lady said:

??

What is the policy on buying and bringing wine onto the ship at your ports of call? Is it a " one bottle per person per every 7 nights"  type policy"  Wine and chocolate are my two vices. Those pictures made me excited for my 1/27 Inaugural Icon Cruise, I hope the wine and chocolate are both flowing.

9 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

What is the policy on buying and bringing wine onto the ship at your ports of call? Is it a " one bottle per person per every 7 nights"  type policy"  Wine and chocolate are my two vices. Those pictures made me excited for my 1/27 Inaugural Icon Cruise, I hope the wine and chocolate are both flowing.

Only the 600 plus full world cruisers are allowed to bring wine on board at various ports....as I explained to friends of ours that were quarter cruisers like us.  And they found out the wine was taken from them as they came on board.  

Chocolate...no problem..,,,have brought many bars on board already.  

• Like 3