Hal Cruising "truths"

objko

We just got back from our longest cruise yet, 48 days on the very cool Noordam, so really got into the rhythm of the ship.  And realized some cruising “truths .  Thought I’d share my Top Ten.  Perhaps you have some?

- Boat hair, don’t care
- Make up, schmake-up
- If an outfit is good enough to bring along, it’s good enough to be worn again, and again
- The ship’s laundry is a value at any price, and better than home
- Cruise ships are not a place for heels, of any kind
- No one is more special than anyone else but some think they are (uh, no, you aren’t)
- Coughing is not cool
- A Table-for-two means a couple wants to eat dinner together, not with all the neighboring tables
- Being nice to the staff shows class
- HAL staff is the GOAT

• Like 51
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

thanks for the list😉

Noordam and its sister ships make the table for two awkward.  You are seated so close to the next table you feel obligated to say something.  They really aren’t tables for two.  

When that happens, we say good evening and then ignore them the rest of the meal.  If we wanted to share, we'd request a bigger table.  We request a table for two because after many decades we still enjoy each other's company and still have things to talk about. I don't want the pace of my meal interrupted by folks at the next table who may be low talkers, loud talkers, pontificators, zealots, or otherwise annoying.

• Like 13

12 hours ago, objko said:

We just got back from our longest cruise yet, 48 days on the very cool Noordam, so really got into the rhythm of the ship.  And realized some cruising “truths .  Thought I’d share my Top Ten.  Perhaps you have some?

- Boat hair, don’t care
- Make up, schmake-up
- If an outfit is good enough to bring along, it’s good enough to be worn again, and again
- The ship’s laundry is a value at any price, and better than home
- Cruise ships are not a place for heels, of any kind
- No one is more special than anyone else but some think they are (uh, no, you aren’t)
- Coughing is not cool
- A Table-for-two means a couple wants to eat dinner together, not with all the neighboring tables
- Being nice to the staff shows class
- HAL staff is the GOAT

I agree

13 hours ago, objko said:

Perhaps you have some?

Thanks for your list!

I’d like to add:

Unpack once and explore many ports

Make new friends

One comment on your list, my husband is a survivor of head & neck cancer.  Unfortunately, he has lost the ability to salivate normally and frequently needs to cough and clear his throat.  Not all who cough have a contagious illness.  Eating is difficult for him, we sit at a table for 2 so his challenges swallowing do not bother other guests.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

When that happens, we say good evening and then ignore them the rest of the meal.  If we wanted to share, we'd request a bigger table.  We request a table for two because after many decades we still enjoy each other's company and still have things to talk about. I don't want the pace of my meal interrupted by folks at the next table who may be low talkers, loud talkers, pontificators, zealots, or otherwise annoying.

I agree but on the Noordam you may easily brush elbows with your neighbors. They should rearrange the tables so they are truly tables for two.  This would be easily accomplished with the current trend away from fixed dining.  In the anytime dining room it may be harder to accomplish.

on other ships we enjoy a brief “how are you this evening” and a good night salutation with our table for two neighbors. On the Noordam you could whisper and still be heard by the neighbors 

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

All that, plus the people who can't decide on anything, take forever on everything, and don't like anything. But I guess those folks fall under "otherwise annoying."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

All that, plus the people who can't decide on anything, take forever on everything, and don't like anything. But I guess those folks fall under "otherwise annoying."

Yes, and just as annoying is when the waiter treats a row of three tables for two as a table for six.  I don't want to wait on my main until the talker two tables down decides to finish his starter.

Happened to us on a recent Princess cruise and after a complaint to the supervisor did no good, we requested a different table that was against a wall with an aisle adjacent.

SWMBO doesn't like to make a fuss, but if you don't complain be prepared to sit there and take it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1