No More Made to Order Omelette

Gamecock_Cruiser

I’m too saddened by the omelette change. Will it ruin any of my three booked cruises? No. Will it stop me from booking a future cruise? Possible. One of my favorite things is having a fresh cooked omelette how I want that particular day. I only eat omelettes on vacation so it’s extra special. I stay at Embassy Suites often because they offer made to order omelettes. I only eat egg whites because of a taste issue for me and it was nice to have the variety each day (on a 7 day cruise I would have about 4 omelettes). It does save some prep time of ingredients but cook time for the omelette station on lido is the same. 

For context, I have been sailing Carnival since 1990 on my Honeymoon and my milestone 25th cruise is next summer. So I been cruising a long time but it isn’t my only mode to vacation. I also own over 1400 shares of Carnival Corp stock so I want to see the company perform well financially. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i agree. the old deli sandwich had a ton of meat and was very filling. the new deli sucks with only like 2-3 slices of meat on very dry bread

Cheryl has spoiled me (makes a great Reuben). I don't bother with that thing Carnival offers up.

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

I. . . . . taste like dog food . . . . 

This expression comes up periodically on CC boards, and it always makes me wonder if people have sampled dog food in order to make the comparison.  🤔

Saying the food is dry or soggy or too seasoned or too bland or without flavor or served in too skimpy portions or maybe just not a taste that appeals to the writer are descriptions that I find more useful.   

• Like 5

Celebrity has made to order omelets and takes your order at the omelet station in lido.  Solves the problem Carnival noted in their press release.  The problem that they haven't been able to solve (although my comments in more than a few cruises suggested it.).  Pretty simple solution but the real reason is probably cut backs related to less staff 

1 hour ago, Joanne G. said:

This expression comes up periodically on CC boards, and it always makes me wonder if people have sampled dog food in order to make the comparison.  🤔

Saying the food is dry or soggy or too seasoned or too bland or without flavor or served in too skimpy portions or maybe just not a taste that appeals to the writer are descriptions that I find more useful.   

Fair point

1 hour ago, michaelr39 said:

Celebrity has made to order omelets and takes your order at the omelet station in lido.  Solves the problem Carnival noted in their press release.  The problem that they haven't been able to solve (although my comments in more than a few cruises suggested it.).  Pretty simple solution but the real reason is probably cut backs related to less staff 

Lots if assumptions in that post

5 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Pictures? Full review of the cruise?

I did post a full review of the cruise, not sure if I talked about the deli sandwiches though.

5 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

When was the last thing you liked?

I liked the tomahawk pork chop I got at the Cucina del Capitano on that cruise.

26 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I did post a full review of the cruise, not sure if I talked about the deli sandwiches though.

I liked the tomahawk pork chop I got at the Cucina del Capitano on that cruise.

That restores my faith in my fellow man. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Omelets:  I prefer to stand in line for a fresh made omelet in front of me... made to order, on Lido.

I have been to many a breakfast buffet, and cruise or not - I am never waiting in line for a made-to-order omelet.  It's nothing more than scrambled eggs with other stuff thrown in it.  I can do that at home with less effort and time than it typically takes to get one at a made-to-order omelet station.

16 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I have been to many a breakfast buffet, and cruise or not - I am never waiting in line for a made-to-order omelet.  It's nothing more than scrambled eggs with other stuff thrown in it.  I can do that at home with less effort and time than it typically takes to get one at a made-to-order omelet station.

But you are not home.

• Like 2

I'm currently on the brand new NCL Viva and here's the menu from the MDR breakfast:

BTW the ship is stunning and looks more like a Celebrity ship than NCL. More modern and beautiful than Carnival's Excel Class ships. Second photo is one of the two MDRs. 

PXL_20231210_132750420~2.jpg

PXL_20231210_132854758~2.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I'm currently on the brand new NCL Viva and here's the menu from the MDR breakfast:

BTW the ship is stunning and looks more like a Celebrity ship than NCL. More modern and beautiful than Carnival's Excel Class ships. Second photo is one of the two MDRs. 

PXL_20231210_132750420~2.jpg

PXL_20231210_132854758~2.jpg

What is that on the table, kwokpot? Is that a table cloth? Wow. I mean, I've read about them in books but to see one on a cruise ship...

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, mz-s said:

What is that on the table, kwokpot? Is that a table cloth? Wow. I mean, I've read about them in books but to see one on a cruise ship...

We were on the Luminosa for the 30 days TP in September/October and quite oddly the tablecloth situation is exactly the OPPOSITE on this former Costa ship. Apparently during the conversion drydock they didn't replace any of the MDR dining tables to have a finished wood surface, necessitating tablecloths in the MDR( they are padded white vinyl tabletops) . In the steakhouse, however the tables there have the polished wood surface so there's no tablecloths in the steakhouse. Very weird! Photos to follow. 

BTW, the MDR food on the Luminosa was EXCELLENT and better than when we were on the Celebration during its second revenue sailing. 

PXL_20231005_111443726.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2

On 12/5/2023 at 6:53 PM, RoperDK said:

I think the disappointment comes from long term cruisers that have seen too many cuts along with too many price increases.  Singularly it's not a problem, but all together it lessens the product. Something akin to the straw that broke the camel's back.    

I am surprised no one earlier edited your comment to ". . . the sugar straw that broke the camel's back.", but that would open up a whole new line of (off-topic) comments.  LOL! 😉

• Haha 3

Just off Celebration.  Both Lido and Dining Room offer the same three omelet offerings as previously discussed.  I have to say that at least on Lido some of the passengers waiting in line for the cooked omelets were not pleased with the no spinach, no mushroom and no bacon offerings.  The omelets were delicious in both locations, so at least that is a good thing.  

On 12/5/2023 at 6:53 PM, RoperDK said:

I think the disappointment comes from long term cruisers that have seen too many cuts along with too many price increases.  Singularly it's not a problem, but all together it lessens the product. Something akin to the straw that broke the camel's back.    

That's the case here. The service at brunch has become abysmal, and a made-to-order omelet is usually my go-to because so much of the other Lido food at breakfast is cheap carbs.

One cut too many for me.  I had already cut down on Carnival in favor of Royal or Princess, unless there was a specific reason to choose Carnival, i.e. to try Excel class, to go with a specific group, or because the only other option out of New Orleans is NCL. But now Royal is coming back to New Orleans from October 2024 to April 2025.  After Glory next week Carnival will be an absolute last choice.

Edited by DallasGuy75219
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

That's the case here. The service at brunch has become abysmal, and a made-to-order omelet is usually my go-to because so much of the other Lido food at breakfast is cheap carbs.

One cut too many for me.  I had already cut down on Carnival in favor of Royal or Princess, unless there was a specific reason to choose Carnival, i.e. to try Excel class, to go with a specific group, or because the only other option out of New Orleans is NCL. But now Royal is coming back to New Orleans from October 2024 to April 2025.  After Glory next week Carnival will be an absolute last choice.

Buh bye

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

We've only cruised 2 times on Carnival since the restart.  Both on Mardi Gras.  Ship is beautiful.  Service and food okay.  We are on Spirit out of Mobile in February.  We love Spirit class and are going with an open mind to see how we feel about Carnival at this time.  We've been cruising Royal lately, too, but their prices are hard to take right now.  I hope that Royal keeps cruising out of NOLA.  We are already booked with them there and will probably book more if they keep coming to NOLA.  Each cruise line has pros and cons and I wish some posters here had a more open mind about others' opinions. Everyone's opinion is valid and gives others input to use in planning their cruises.   

33 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Buh bye

🤔  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

The feeling is mutual.

My Jan Venezia cruise will probably be my last Carnival cruise.  We discovered MSC Yacht Club...and converted.  Yes, more money...but when you get to be our ages (74 and DH is 89), it's all about comfort and convenience. 

• Like 2

I get the MDR choices to speed up service - and maybe force less people there.  But lido makes no sense as you are standing right there and makes no difference in speed of service.  I don’t buy the prep aspect.  So much food is already prepared and this will just cause more prep in other areas as it’s not like people aren’t going to eat if they don’t get an omelette. 

• Like 2