Another cut--Lido cakes on Glory

DallasGuy75219

13 hours ago, mz-s said:

Ohh no. The humanity...not sheet cakes.

Ohh no. The humanity...not twice daily room cleanings.

Ohh no. The humanity...not rooms ready at embarkation.

Ohh no. The humanity...not bacon served daily on the buffet.

Ohh no. The humanity...not fresh fries at Guy's.

Ohh no. The humanity...not the petite filet at sea day brunch.

Ohh no. The humanity...not 24/7 pizza and soft serve.

Ohh no. The humanity...not more than 2 entrees at dinner.

Ohh no. The humanity...not the full sea day brunch menu.

Shhh, you aren't allowed to notice.   😉

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Rudyard said:

We had the regular cakes on Breeze last week. They were slicing them thin enough to see through, but at least they were the original cakes. 

Funny - couple weeks ago on another line, I asked for a smaller/thinner slice (knowing I wouldn't eat all of the big slice) and was told the cake was too soft to cut any smaller.

15 hours ago, mz-s said:

Ohh no. The humanity...not sheet cakes.

Ohh no. The humanity...not twice daily room cleanings.

Ohh no. The humanity...not rooms ready at embarkation.

Ohh no. The humanity...not bacon served daily on the buffet.

Ohh no. The humanity...not fresh fries at Guy's.

Ohh no. The humanity...not the petite filet at sea day brunch.

Ohh no. The humanity...not 24/7 pizza and soft serve.

Ohh no. The humanity...not more than 2 entrees at dinner.

Ohh no. The humanity...not the full sea day brunch menu.

Please tell me the bacon comment is a joke?  I haven’t been on Carnival in years but will be on the Pride in March as she had the best partial Panama Canal itinerary for my schedule. Do they really not have bacon every day?  I already knew about the once daily cabin service and it indeed sucks but I’ll survive for eight nights I suppose. 

8 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

Please tell me the bacon comment is a joke?  I haven’t been on Carnival in years but will be on the Pride in March as she had the best partial Panama Canal itinerary for my schedule. Do they really not have bacon every day?

It was only available two days out of five on my last cruise, and two days out of seven on the cruise before that in the buffet. You can get it every day though if you eat breakfast/brunch in the MDR. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

Please tell me the bacon comment is a joke?  I haven’t been on Carnival in years but will be on the Pride in March as she had the best partial Panama Canal itinerary for my schedule. Do they really not have bacon every day?  I already knew about the once daily cabin service and it indeed sucks but I’ll survive for eight nights I suppose. 

I do not joke about Carnival's cutbacks. You can get your 2 strips of bacon in the MDR every day, but only every other day (or even less) from the buffet. No more bacon omelettes or bacon bits for your Guy's burger either.

Have some sympathy, we are in the midst of the world's longest bacation.

(when Carnival first started the bacon crisis they put out a sign saying that Bacon was on "bacation" today but would be back tomorrow. They no longer put out that sign).

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Rudyard said:

It was only available two days out of five on my last cruise, and two days out of seven on the cruise before that in the buffet. You can get it every day though if you eat breakfast/brunch in the MDR. 

19 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I do not joke about Carnival's cutbacks. You can get your 2 strips of bacon in the MDR every day, but only every other day (or even less) from the buffet. No more bacon omelettes or bacon bits for your Guy's burger either.

Have some sympathy, we are in the midst of the world's longest bacation.

(when Carnival first started the bacon crisis they put out a sign saying that Bacon was on "bacation" today but would be back tomorrow. They no longer put out that sign).

This is disappointing to hear. It’s bloody bacon, not unlimited caviar. Jeez. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

This is disappointing to hear. It’s bloody bacon, not unlimited caviar. Jeez. 

They have n0t had bacon every single day for at least 5 years, possibly 10.  You should tell the people who take a whole plateful on what it is…

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

It’s not necessary you are correct. But it was nice to come back from dinner and have a refreshed room with fresh towels and a turned down bed. Many things on a cruise aren’t “necessary” but people would bemoan their demise just the same. I think it’s completely unnecessary to drink 15 alcoholic beverages every day for seven days in a row but others disagree. 

And yes some hotels do have turndown service. 

I cannot think of a chain that does turn down anymore, we agree about cheers however.

Edited by jimbo5544

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

I cannot think of a chain that does turn down anymore.

Last year we stayed at The Oberoi in New Delhi and they had nightly turndown. I believe Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons still do it as well. Not the fairest of comparisons I agree but other cruise lines DO still offer it.  Holland America Line does it. Cunard does it. Disney does it. It’s not unheard of. 

My last cruise was on NCL and the once daily service was truly abysmal so maybe my view is tainted by that but the steward always came at odd hours and twice we had to leave the room for him to clean for fear that if we missed the service we’d have no fresh towels until the next day since there was no turn down. One day we were off the ship all day in Ensenada on an NCL excursion and he waited until fifteen minutes AFTER we got back to knock on our door to clean. 

3 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

Last year we stayed at The Oberoi in New Delhi and they had nightly turndown. I believe Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons still do it as well. Not the fairest of comparisons I agree but other cruise lines DO still offer it.  Holland America Line does it. Cunard does it. Disney does it. It’s not unheard of. 

My last cruise was on NCL and the once daily service was truly abysmal so maybe my view is tainted by that but the steward always came at odd hours and twice we had to leave the room for him to clean for fear that if we missed the service we’d have no fresh towels until the next day since there was no turn down. One day we were off the ship all day in Ensenada on an NCL excursion and he waited until fifteen minutes AFTER we got back to knock on our door to clean. 

5 star plus should, for the price, main line, it has been a good while.  I cannot argue that it adds to the experience, just that for main line hotels and cruise lines, it is in the rearview mirror.  Some like my friend thinks it is a Carnival exclusive, I disagree.  Everything is evolving, simply it is what it is.  If it has that much importance to you or I, we know we can get that….for a price.  

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

They have n0t had bacon every single day for at least 5 years, possibly 10.  You should tell the people who take a whole plateful on what it is…

Every cruise we took prior to the shutdown offered bacon every day at Lido breakfast.  And if you ordered a side of bacon in the MDR during brunch you got six slices or so.

And yes, I saw it being wasted.  Just like I see other food being wasted.  For some reason, Carnival has focused on the bacon.

5 hours ago, mz-s said:

No more bacon omelettes or bacon bits for your Guy's burger either.

But you can still order a pig patty at Guy's, which is how I get my bacon fix.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Wrong.  The bacation started the supposed bacon shortage with the restart after COVID.   None of the other major cruise lines had a bacon shortage that prevented them from serving bacon on the buffet every day. There was just a shortage of bacon at the prices Carnival was willing to pay.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Here I am replying to your post, interrupting the agenda bashing.

I

1 minute ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Wrong.  The bacation started the supposed bacon shortage with the restart after COVID.   None of the other major cruise lines had a bacon shortage that prevented them from serving bacon on the buffet every day. There was just a shortage of bacon at the prices Carnival was willing to pay.

double wrong but bashers lose sight of facts… I get it it is not your fault.  When are you sailing Carnival again?  I forget. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Wait….no shortage?

https://gothamist.com/food/global-bacon-shortage-is-now-unavoidable

We sailed on RC again in October for the first time in 7 or 8 years and while there was a lot we missed about Carnival, the breakfast buffet in Windjammer just blows Carnival away. It's not like bacon makes or breaks a cruise for us, but it was awful nice to see piles of bacon (good crispy bacon!) on the buffet every single morning.. plus 2 different types of waffles and 3 different pancakes every day -- not either or.

I hate that the cakes might be gone fleet-wide now as well, my husband and I always look forward to those.😞 I don't think Royal is just rolling in profits yet either, so why does Carnival keep cutting and cutting?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, crazy4themouse said:

We sailed on RC again in October for the first time in 7 or 8 years and while there was a lot we missed about Carnival, the breakfast buffet in Windjammer just blows Carnival away. It's not like bacon makes or breaks a cruise for us, but it was awful nice to see piles of bacon (good crispy bacon!) on the buffet every single morning.. plus 2 different types of waffles and 3 different pancakes every day -- not either or.

I hate that the cakes might be gone fleet-wide now as well, my husband and I always look forward to those.😞 I don't think Royal is just rolling in profits yet either, so why does Carnival keep cutting and cutting?

Carnival is in much more debt than Royal, so while neither are really rolling in the dough - Royal doesn't have nearly as big of a hole to dig out of.

Carnival's only choice is to compete on price because they have a relatively older fleet and a fairly outmoded fleet (only 3 ships that can really compete with the Prima and Oasis/Icon classes) and no new ships joining the fleet after Jubilee debuts. They can't raise rates to pay off debt because the product is not competitive, so their only choice is to cut the onboard experience to the quick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, crazy4themouse said:

so why does Carnival keep cutting and cutting?

The cynical answer:  because they can.  

Long answer, and to be a little more fair, I will acknowledge that at least when I was shopping a cruise Carnival was always the cheapest base fare, so I do expect more cost cutting vs [insert more expensive line here].  But what gets me is you can't go a week now without hearing of another Carnival cutback of one sort or another.  And while I will also acknowledge that not every cutback matters to every customer it is incredibly frustrating being told that you shouldn't care because none of the cuts really matter anyway.  To some people they obviously do matter.  I don't think folks are going to jump ship en masse because of bacon or mushrooms or omelets, but they are factors that will be considered when booking future cruises.  I imagine Carnival is trying to find the fine line between the cuts and the loss of bookings.  And for now, there is no shortage of future bookings.

But I drive truck for a living so what do I know about anything.  🤣

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 8:51 AM, sparks1093 said:

Exactly, none of those changes (and they are simply changes, made to make the cruise line as efficient as possible without unduly raising fares) severely impacts the overall cruise experience. We had just as a good of a time on Glory this past April as we did on Pride in 2012.

Normally I would agree as changes are just changes and one can just cruise another line.  But ... these pics look like false advertising.  The piece they serve you is clearly not what they are representing, and that affects the palate.  I haven't eaten the little sheet cake pieces that this post is about yet, but I have had similar at Golden Corral and similar.