Another cut--Lido cakes on Glory

DallasGuy75219

14 hours ago, Despegue said:

Do they clean your bloody house or your hotelroom twice a day? The twice-daily cleaning has always been something completely unnecessary if tou are not a complete pig in your Stateroom.

I'm glad that you feel that twice a day cabin service is completely unnecessary, but many others disagree. We do fine with once a day, but there are only two of us in the cabin. I do miss turndown for a fresh up of the cabin and more ice.  Those traveling with children must have a harder time getting by.  Having the couch left in a bed setup for the whole week must be awful.  No place to sit and very crowded for walking around.  Dirty towels and trash must pile up.  They aren't "complete pigs", it's just hard to make things work in such a small place.  I've never stayed in a hotel room as small as a standard cruise cabin.           

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Rudyard said:

It was only available two days out of five on my last cruise, and two days out of seven on the cruise before that in the buffet. You can get it every day though if you eat breakfast/brunch in the MDR. 

This is my experience, too.  Have been on two 7-day cruises on the Mardi Gras since the restart.  Bacon was not available every other day in the buffet. It was only a couple of days.  While I'm at it....cut up hot dogs are not a suitable sub for breakfast sausage.  It may seem that I hate Carnival, but that is not true. We are looking forward to our Feb. cruise, but are still disappointed in the many, many changes since the restart.  We will reevaluate cruising on Carnival after that cruise.  We have moved on to other cruise lines but do miss the "fun" atmosphere on Carnival. We are only 4 7-day cruises away from Diamond and I would really like to make that milestone.       

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

They have n0t had bacon every single day for at least 5 years, possibly 10.  You should tell the people who take a whole plateful on what it is…

My last cruise on Carnival was Feb. 2020. Cruising was halted shortly after. Bacon was available every day on the buffet.  Granted, the bacon police were there, but I don't have any problem with that.  I ordered my usual breakfast from the (free) 24 hour room service menu many mornings.  It was a toasted BLT sandwich.  I'd been doing that for many years.  A perfect breakfast for me.  DH preferred the buffet and would get a plate there.  The last time I saw the (not free) room service menu, the  BLT was still there, but had fake bacon.         

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

This is my experience, too.  Have been on two 7-day cruises on the Mardi Gras since the restart.  Bacon was not available every other day in the buffet. It was only a couple of days.  While I'm at it....cut up hot dogs are not a suitable sub for breakfast sausage.  It may seem that I hate Carnival, but that is not true. We are looking forward to our Feb. cruise, but are still disappointed in the many, many changes since the restart.  We will reevaluate cruising on Carnival after that cruise.  We have moved on to other cruise lines but do miss the "fun" atmosphere on Carnival. We are only 4 7-day cruises away from Diamond and I would really like to make that milestone.       

John has said numerous times it's because of a supply shortage which is very true. What they don't tell you is that the supply shortage is because they don't order enough.

Just like MSC Meraviglia out of NY has a shortage of ketchup and on some cruises there is no ketchup until the ship restocks in Port Canaveral. Just order more, problem solved.

Edited by Illbcruzn4life
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

Why wait?

2 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

Funny before the sheet cakes pretty much everyone said they looked better than they tasted. Now everyone is clutching their pearls at the thought of not being able to eat them. 

I for one loved the cakes, especially the Funfetti Cheesecake and the German chocolate cake. I liked the sheet cakes served for dinner as well, to be honest. I don't have much of a sweet tooth so I'm fairly easy to please when it comes to sweets.

• Like 1

Think about your own personal grocery buying for a minute.  If you bought 3 big steaks figuring you'd eat all of them, but then only ended up using 1, and had to throw out the other 2 because they spoiled before you could use them, you'd probably only buy 1 next time, right?  Carnival is really just doing the same.  Food waste is a huge issue, that actually costs us more in the long run.  Smaller slices mean less waste.  You can go back for more if you like, but you're not likely to waste this way.

We were on Horizon in September, cakes were plentiful and good...served by the slice there.  I'll be on Elation next month and will see what they are doing there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

John has said numerous times it's because of a supply shortage which is very true. What they don't tell you is that the supply shortage is because they don't order enough.

Just like MSC Meraviglia out of NY has a shortage of ketchup and on some cruises there is no ketchup until the ship restocks in Port Canaveral. Just order more, problem solved.

So you know the answer and he lies, and MSC needs better ordering procedures.   Got it.

3 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

Funny before the sheet cakes pretty much everyone said they looked better than they tasted. Now everyone is clutching their pearls at the thought of not being able to eat them. 

Shhhh, they KNOW the answer.  

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

So you know the answer and he lies, and MSC needs better ordering procedures.   Got it.

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I said he didn’t lie. He said it was because of a supply shortage which is true. 

Edited by Illbcruzn4life

12 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Bacon is available, but not at a price Carnival is willing to pay without having to make another cutback or raise fares. They have it available onboard, but not in a quantity that allows it to be served at the buffet every day. Food is a large expense and trying to eliminate waste reduces that expense. @DramaQueen22's post is spot on- if you buy something and it spoils before you can consume it all you will not buy so much the next time. The same thing applies if you prepare it and don't eat it all.

25 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Bacon is available, but not at a price Carnival is willing to pay without having to make another cutback or raise fares. They have it available onboard, but not in a quantity that allows it to be served at the buffet every day. Food is a large expense and trying to eliminate waste reduces that expense. @DramaQueen22's post is spot on- if you buy something and it spoils before you can consume it all you will not buy so much the next time. The same thing applies if you prepare it and don't eat it all.

To be honest, the bacon on cruise lines (ALL) is not even that good.  Not sure what the hype is all about.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mz-s said:

At this point Carnival should probably outsource their buffet program to a company that knows how to run a consistently good buffet - Golden Corral.

I have always found Carnival's buffet to be consistently good. It may not be as robust in offerings that other lines give, but everything that I've tried is very good (for what it is, which is buffet food). I know that I've never left hungry. 🤣

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

To be honest, the bacon on cruise lines (ALL) is not even that good.  Not sure what the hype is all about.

I was going to say this, Carnival's buffet bacon has always been overdone and I stopped taking any a long time ago.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I have always found Carnival's buffet to be consistently good. It may not be as robust in offerings that other lines give, but everything that I've tried is very good (for what it is, which is buffet food). I know that I've never left hungry. 🤣

5 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I was going to say this, Carnival's buffet bacon has always been overdone and I stopped taking any a long time ago.

Consistently good except for the foods they took off the buffet right, like the bacon and layer cakes

🤣

Edited by mz-s
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Consistently good except for the foods they took off the buffet right, like the bacon and layer cakes

🤣

Yes, overall I would rate Carnival's buffet as "consistently good". That doesn't mean that I necessarily like everything offered. That's the beauty of a buffet, you can try a small taste of something and if you like it you can go back for more. If you don't you move on. I would expect that they would remove some foods and add other foods as time goes on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Bacon is a staple breakfast item that almost all breakfast buffets include daily. I think that’s why people are annoyed by this?  Even Holiday Inn Express gives you either bacon or sausage (alternating) with breakfast whilst some have reported cut up hotdogs for breakfast on Carnival?!?!  I have not experienced that so don’t know but a few posts back I think someone mentioned it and wasn’t sure if they were joking. I hope they were because that truly is gross. 

Just now, Bostonjetset said:

Bacon is a staple breakfast item that almost all breakfast buffets include daily. I think that’s why people are annoyed by this?  Even Holiday Inn Express gives you either bacon or sausage (alternating) with breakfast whilst some have reported cut up hotdogs for breakfast on Carnival?!?!  I have not experienced that so don’t know but a few posts back I think someone mentioned it and wasn’t sure if they were joking. I hope they were because that truly is gross. 

No, I've seen cut up hot dogs passed as sausage on Carnival - going back years (over a decade) at this point.

• Like 1

Just now, mz-s said:

No, I've seen cut up hot dogs passed as sausage on Carnival - going back years (over a decade) at this point.

That’s disgusting. 
Earlier this year on Holland America my eggs benedict had what appeared to be bologna instead of ham/Canadian bacon on it and it grossed me out but we were in Scotland at the time and it was at the end of the trip so figured they ran out of the proper stuff and I excused it. It was normal again when I sailed with them in August. 

2 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

That’s disgusting. 
Earlier this year on Holland America my eggs benedict had what appeared to be bologna instead of ham/Canadian bacon on it and it grossed me out but we were in Scotland at the time and it was at the end of the trip so figured they ran out of the proper stuff and I excused it. It was normal again when I sailed with them in August. 

As I said, Carnival should outsource their buffet to Golden Corral. It would be a marked improvement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

The bacon we got at Brunch a couple of weeks ago on Vista was perfect, IMHO - cooked but not crispy, just a little soft.  Did not recall seeing bacon at the buffet, but we only got omelets from there on two occasions, plus the deli twice.  Oh, deli BLT bacon was perfect too.

🤷‍♂️