Another cut--Lido cakes on Glory

DallasGuy75219

16 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

Funny before the sheet cakes pretty much everyone said they looked better than they tasted. Now everyone is clutching their pearls at the thought of not being able to eat them. 

I never really found the lovely-looking cakes tasted all that yummy, but I also found they were not available when I was in the mood for such a treat - I like cake mid-evening (say, 9pm) with a coffee or port, in front of the TV at home, not mid-afternoon after having downed a Pina Colada.  And any possible desire for late-night dessert on board was usually satisfied hours earlier by the dessert(s) from the MDR at dinner.  So I couldn't tell if they were bland or my palate simply wasn't ready for them.

So while I am not personally affected by the change, I do understand it will be perceived as a cut-back by many.

1 hour ago, Bostonjetset said:

Bacon is a staple breakfast item that almost all breakfast buffets include daily. I think that’s why people are annoyed by this?  Even Holiday Inn Express gives you either bacon or sausage (alternating) with breakfast whilst some have reported cut up hotdogs for breakfast on Carnival?!?!  I have not experienced that so don’t know but a few posts back I think someone mentioned it and wasn’t sure if they were joking. I hope they were because that truly is gross. 

We are fairly well off the op’s topic, but hey, it is the holiday season.   Agree on bacon being a staple, and it is one of my many vices.  There are several types of sausages offered.  Links, and two larger cut into slices, one semi like kielbasa (which I think they are referring to and another more pure sausage like with onions (if my memory serves me). 

love bacon but never loved Carnivals. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

And then said, it was not there because they did not order it.  Maybe you forgot that part. Moving on.

Didn’t forget at all. They don’t order enough or choose not to since it doesn’t seem to be a problem for any other cruise line. I dont have a dog in the fight since I don’t eat bacon. 

31 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Didn’t forget at all. They don’t order enough or choose not to since it doesn’t seem to be a problem for any other cruise line. I dont have a dog in the fight since I don’t eat bacon. 

I do not think anyone said they could acquire bacon, but since none of us know, I am fine with that.  Did not realize it was only bacon eaters to comment or post on.   As I said moving on.    

Edited by jimbo5544

3 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The bacon we got at Brunch a couple of weeks ago on Vista was perfect, IMHO - cooked but not crispy, just a little soft.  Did not recall seeing bacon at the buffet, but we only got omelets from there on two occasions, plus the deli twice.  Oh, deli BLT bacon was perfect too.

🤷‍♂️

I would expect brunch to be better, absolutely. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Your reevaluation of cruising on Carnival.  Is the next cruise going to change your view?

I hope so.  Most of my cruises have been on Carnival, but I have also enjoyed my Royal and Princess cruises. My only Carnival cruises (2) since the restart have been on the Mardi Gras.  I thought the ship was beautiful, but I wasn't thrilled with the setup of the food venues. I guess I just prefer the more traditional Carnival ship layouts. The restart came with staffing shortages and the service suffered.  My next cruise is on Spirit out of Mobile in February.  The port is a couple of hours from my home and I love the Spirit class of ships. I am aware of the cutbacks/changes, but I do like the fun atmosphere on Carnival.  I'm going in with an open mind.        

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

I hope so.  Most of my cruises have been on Carnival, but I have also enjoyed my Royal and Princess cruises. My only Carnival cruises (2) since the restart have been on the Mardi Gras.  I thought the ship was beautiful, but I wasn't thrilled with the setup of the food venues. I guess I just prefer the more traditional Carnival ship layouts. The restart came with staffing shortages and the service suffered.  My next cruise is on Spirit out of Mobile in February.  The port is a couple of hours from my home and I love the Spirit class of ships. I am aware of the cutbacks/changes, but I do like the fun atmosphere on Carnival.  I'm going in with an open mind.        

Think the staffing issues have been addressed, we sailed twice in the first month of the return to cruising..  Enjoy the cruise, let us know your thoughts when you return.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Meanwhile, here’s a pic of a slice of the Funfetti cheesecake on the Panorama a couple of months ago. I can’t believe I’ve never had this before. It was very good. 

IMG_3416.jpeg

Yum, had it on the Sunshine and LOVED it! My next cruise on the Miracle didn't offer it. You would have thought my dog died I was so upset and let down. My next cruise is on the Magic and I hope they have it. I know, embarkation day only. I'll be knocking people over to get to the buffet!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

Yum, had it on the Sunshine and LOVED it! My next cruise on the Miracle didn't offer it. You would have thought my dog died I was so upset and let down. My next cruise is on the Magic and I hope they have it. I know, embarkation day only. I'll be knocking people over to get to the buffet!

The Magic had it on my cruise over Labor Day this year, so unless something changes you've got a good chance!

7 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Perhaps, if one considers perpetual fleetwide understaffing to be the new normal.

This is the new normal. The ships are not staffed like they used to be and never will again.

They "addressed" the staffing issues by simply not hiring as many crew and cutting service from bow to stern, and by not decreasing our gratuity burden have shifted more of their salary expense to the guest's back.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 8:18 AM, jimbo5544 said:

They have n0t had bacon every single day for at least 5 years, possibly 10.  You should tell the people who take a whole plateful on what it is…

They had bacon every day on my cruise in 2019.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 7:21 AM, Rudyard said:

We had the regular cakes on Breeze last week. They were slicing them thin enough to see through, but at least they were the original cakes. 

I had them on Horizon in October but did NOT have them on Celebration.  I mean the newest ship had the ugliest and worse looking desserts.  They should be a shamed in a way.

39 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I noticed the cake change on the Radiance a couple of weeks ago. The "oh the humanity" list is why I started to really start booking other lines to include: Royal, Celebrity, HAL, Crystal, Oceania, et al. We go back to Carnival to enjoy Journeys cruises, which is about the only thing Carnival still does right. We sure don't book cruises like we used to. The experience on Carnival has gotten less special and more crowded. So, yes, the "oh the humanity list" is exclusive to Carnival. No comment on NCL. I see that line as too much like Carnival to chance booking.

I've read many threads for Royal and Celebrity of the oh the humanity type especially regarding Celebrity. According to many they are sinking to the bottom by being less exclusive. Fortunately there is a cruise line for everyone. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I've read many threads for Royal and Celebrity of the oh the humanity type especially regarding Celebrity. According to many they are sinking to the bottom by being less exclusive. Fortunately there is a cruise line for everyone. 

Ain’t that a fact

On 12/17/2023 at 3:13 PM, DallasGuy75219 said:

So the pretty decorated layer cakes are now for display only.  They're putting out pre-sliced sheet cakes that don't exactly taste like the layer cakes used to.

20231217_135403.jpg

20231217_135354.jpg

This is actually becoming standard procedure for cakes at many events such as weddings - A fancy decorated cake for show and slices of sheet cake of the same flavor served.

• Like 1