Celebrity sent me this --unbelievable

OceanCruise

I got an email from Celebrity today regarding my upcoming March 2024 cruise in a Sky Suite. It had the standard questionnaire asking for my preferences (such as pillow type, any extra hangers, wine, etc.) and included this link as to what amenities I can expect on this cruise for my Sky Suite experience. As the fallout from loss of a dedicated butler is well documented on this forum, I do think you will find this article Celebrity sent me to be ---let's say---quite interesting. It is quite specific. I read it and thought, "Is Celebrity crazy?" They really do think we are stupid. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/blog/cruise-butler

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

Luminae doesn’t take reservations🤪

That's true.  Although on one b2b cruise I was on, the hostess was instructed to always save a particular window seat for a Royal Suite guest.  The most frustrating part of all was that literally half the time or more they never showed up and that most-desired seat was left empty!  How incredibly inconsiderate and selfish.  I've sailed in a Royal Suite (granted, only twice) and they never did that for me, nor would I ever ask or expect them to for that matter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OceanCruise said:

I got an email from Celebrity today regarding my upcoming March 2024 cruise in a Sky Suite. It had the standard questionnaire asking for my preferences (such as pillow type, any extra hangers, wine, etc.) and included this link as to what amenities I can expect on this cruise for my Sky Suite experience. As the fallout from loss of a dedicated butler is well documented on this forum, I do think you will find this article Celebrity sent me to be ---let's say---quite interesting. It is quite specific. I read it and thought, "Is Celebrity crazy?" They really do think we are stupid. 

This is the mail that comes from a shoreside retreat concierge, yes? Have you tried sending it back to that person to ask for an explanation?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

That's true.  Although on one b2b cruise I was on, the hostess was instructed to always save a particular window seat for a Royal Suite guest.  The most frustrating part of all was that literally half the time or more they never showed up and that most-desired seat was left empty!  How incredibly inconsiderate and selfish.  I've sailed in a Royal Suite (granted, only twice) and they never did that for me, nor would I ever ask or expect them to for that matter.

We had a similar experience recently on Solstice where the best (in my opinion) table was reserved for a couple. I didn't ask where they were accommodated. They also had obviously specially prepared (i.e. not on any menu) dishes.

9 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

This is the mail that comes from a shoreside retreat concierge, yes? Have you tried sending it back to that person to ask for an explanation?

The email was not sent from a specific person and it just linked to the preferences survey. Although it contained my booking info, it just looked auto-generated and did not mention any contact info if I had further questions.

Interesting --  I did notice that the boilerplate has been update -

Our Retreat Butler and Team

Hmmmm.... Just coming off Edge in a RC -  I can definitely confirm they do not take reservations in Luminae.     The MD did give us his personal number and said to call him and he would call us when a table was ready.  

We often asked the Retreat host to call down and say we were ready for dinner and could the call when a table was ready.    Even once called we usually had to wait a minute or two while the setup the table.  

This is both good and bad.   It is good for those that arrive and are waiting for a table an see an empty table to know someone else is getting it.   Bad if they call you and you expect the table to be ready.

No dis-respect to anyone that cruises in Suites, but, based on the attached flyer, there is nothing I would require the services of a Butler for:

Unpack suitcases: 

" Did you see where he/she put my Patrick Mahomes t shirt "?

" How do I know where he/she/ put your 17 swimsuits "?

Make reservations for you:

" Oh, so Monday at 6 is booked---try Tuesday at 6:15--- 2 hrs later--oh,Tuesday at 6:15 is sold out "- etc---much easier to make reservations myself.

Pamper you:

How long ya gonna wait for the Retreat Butler and/or Team Member to come to draw your bath ?

And besides ---

" It's not my fault that he/she made your bath too hot " .

" You asked him/her to draw your bath at 9:45 --- How was he to know you decided to try your luck ( for the 18th time ) at your " favorite " slot machine--- because this time you had a " feeling " etc. etc. and your bath is too cold "?

Finally, I think these people ( Butlers and Team ) are going to be " run off their feet " doing their best to please everyone.

All it seems to me is a cost-cutting shortcut with " flashy " terms --

Bonne Chance ( Good Luck )

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, flviking said:

Just got off an 11 night Beyond cruise in a SS. Never saw a butler. Room service breakfast was delivered by a kitchen runner.

This fills me with such relief. We got a move-up to a SS on Ascent, and the thought of someone unpacking my stuff and running my bath makes me feel very uneasy. I guess I don't have the Downton Abbey approach to life. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

Based on sales of the Retreat staterooms at the ridiculous pricing now in effect...

Would love the in room gathering they suggest, but the realty for a Sky Suite is much different.
We did that and the assistance we got for a 5:30 gathering was ice bucket filled at 1 p.m and 3 extra glasses delivered. We had purchased wine  & liquor pre cruise.  Any cheese plate, etc had to come from room service which was sad and with saltines.  DH went to the OV and got some better cheeses and crackers then went to the Lounge and got some fresh ice and some salty nibbles.  
It was a fun gathering but in a Sky Suite  it is pretty much DYI.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 2:36 PM, Baynanno1 said:

We had a similar experience recently on Solstice where the best (in my opinion) table was reserved for a couple. I didn't ask where they were accommodated. They also had obviously specially prepared (i.e. not on any menu) dishes.

I think my biggest frustration was that there were so many times they just never showed up and the ideal table went empty!  That's just not right.  I can see them catering to high level suite guests - heaven knows they are paying a small fortune to sail in those - but my real issue was with the guests themselves.  Totally inconsiderate.

18 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I think my biggest frustration was that there were so many times they just never showed up and the ideal table went empty!  That's just not right.  I can see them catering to high level suite guests - heaven knows they are paying a small fortune to sail in those - but my real issue was with the guests themselves.  Totally inconsiderate.

I'm wondering if this happened, in part, because their suite included specialty dining. I'm not saying it's right, only possible.

It seems that it would have been polite for them to let the Luminae manager know when they would not be using the table, so that others could. 

Maybe "polite" was not a concern for them. I'm guessing that insisting on the same table each night, when it is not part of the deal paid for could be indicative of folks who don't spend much time concerning themselves with what is polite. 

I could definitely be wrong. 

• Like 4

I'm guessing those special cruisers weren't eating in any of the restaurants. Maybe they did room service, buffet, or dined at a land based restaurant if in port. The Luminae manager has the ability to look up everyone's dining reservations. I would hope that if they were dining in one of the other ship restaurants the table would be opened for others.

We were in the PH last year on the Equinox. We didn’t realize that the maitre‘ d was saving a window table for us. We dine in both pay venues and Luminae. We also had the same wait staff every time we dined in Luminae.

We never asked for a window table nor to have one reserved for us, it just happened. Once we figured out that they were saving a table for us we had our butler keep them informed as to our dining plans for each day. We didn’t want that table reserved if we were not dining there. 

Besides having our photos so they can address us by name, they also have access to our points level, status and I’m pretty sure annual spend.

Yes some people in upper suites make a lot of demands, at the same time there are others like us that don’t ask for or demand a reserved table. 

Disclaimer: we do expect all of the perks advertised for that suite, reserved tables are not an advertised perk for any suite.

cheers

• Like 4

On 12/22/2023 at 3:36 PM, Baynanno1 said:

They will reserve a table and prepare special meals for medical disabilities. Usually they will put a bottle of wine on the table so it looks occupied. PH and IC also can reserve a table, but it is kept quiet and those guests often utilize the unlimited specialty dining - so they do not stand out as being at the same table every night. I do not understand the empty table when the guest do not show up. Usually the Md and butler would have this coordinated. I agree they look at future spend on X as far as special attention goes. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 2:39 PM, cruisestitch said:

Luminae doesn’t take reservations🤪

They did on the Edge in June 2021. Every night folks lined up at the host desk and booked their times if they hadn't reserved earlier. It was constantly mobbed because even though they only had 350 pax on the entire ship, the suites were sold out. So Retreat was crowded too... Main pool and hot tubs? Empty. So much for spacing people apart; main office was brain dead on that one. 

We also had reservations at Luminae pretty much every night on the Connie last year. (They asked us when we wanted to arrive, we didn't ask them.) They seemed to have a table for us where we mostly ate, unless we joined someone else. Be interesting to see how it goes on the Silly next week...

8 hours ago, sofietucker said:

They did on the Edge in June 2021.

Maybe they did on that first sailing in June.   On July 3rd sailing they were back to walk up.   I agree that filling the Retreat to capacity while professing social distancing was a brain dead thing to do at that time.

• Like 1