The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday, December 26th, 2023

kazu

Good morning all and Happy Boxing Day & Kwanzaa to all who celebrate.  

I’m not sure if being a homeowner is something to celebrate or curse after finding the damage on my shed from the second storm.  😔. But, it is nice to have one.  That quote is so true.  I am waiting to get to the second sentence. 🤞 

IMG_1788.thumb.jpeg.2b88c25b84f636778f65d9e18762c03d.jpeg

Ivan got a new toy from a friend for Christmas and OMG - I don’t think he slept all day.  It honks like a goose and he was fascinated with the sound.  So, the dog who doesn’t squeak turned into a massive squeaker along with fetch.  At least he kept me busy 😂

IMG_1316.jpeg.41e74fc33cf9701fd899f881a8b26eed.jpeg

Invited to dinner by dear friends last night and it was lovely.  I was especially touched when a toast was made to those who were absent from our dinner table.  I thanked him and told him about this quote:

IMG_1356.thumb.jpeg.5f644e8dc8756abc5c3933ad6bfbc871.jpeg

@rafinmd sorry to hear about your prostrate flare up.  I hope that the treatment takes care of it 🙏 

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grieving, health problems, pain, worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1874.thumb.jpeg.d816ee3a7817b2b055f7a6d57611bf82.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Good morning Daily-ites from the beautiful Rotterdam. 

We are in Georgetown, Grand Cayman this morning. Looking forward to tendering ashore. I have not been here before, so excited to get our and look around. 

A nice meal in MDR last night. We both had salads and halibut. As soon as the fish came out we knew it was over cooked and our waiter returned with 2 fresh plates of perfect halibut.

People were joining late due to Santa's visit and everyone was accommodated. 

Prayers for everyone on Vanessa's well maintained list.

Have a great day!

• Like 28

Good chilly morning,

Yesterday was tough for me. I went to dinner with a friend who lost her son last year and we had a good cry. We went to the restaurant where he worked for many years and they had a plaque up in his honor. 

Baby Murphy faced timed with her cousins as they opened presents. My DSIL said Murphy smiled and enjoyed the activity. I sure hope the new year brings many blessings to that family. 

Roy, I am sorry to hear about your latest challenge. That darn cancer is smart and works around all the treatments we have. Luckily prostrate cancer is slow growing and we can play their game. 

Home ownership is a mixed blessing. I love my new house but you have to tinker with it. I do not like today’s quote. It is a bit of a downer. I am glad we heard from @HAL Sailer  they have been on my mind. Prayers for the both of them. 

DS will be over this morning to help deconstruct Christmas. It should not take long. Then it is full speed ahead on house prep for my long absence. Prayers and well wishes for all. Have a great day. 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good Tuesday morning. Happy Kwanzaa and Happy Boxing Day. 

Cloudy and chilly today. Fancy enjoyed her walk in the park yesterday. We may take her to another park today. She has recently decided that she will be stubborn with her meals. She doesn't want to eat them and hopes for our food. Eventually she will eat her food but not with the exuberance she once had. Nothing much planned for today as I continue with my vacation. I could get used to this. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.2ed3656448895b3ec2a60ed55e30a576.png

• Like 28

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  Its still very cloudy and dark, and the weatherman says it will continue to rain on and off today.  The computer says its 59 and cloudy.  @StLouisCruisers temps will drop severely by Thursday.  I don't know when you are coming home, but if it's  after Thursday-dress warmly!

I hear the alarm going off down the hall, DH must be practicing for tomorrow morning.  He has an early MRI at the midtown cancer institute. 

I was hoping that my boss for the NY campaign would have become Santa and given us the day off today. He had originally, and then changed his mind. He's a mean one, Mr. Grinch....

I got an email a couple of weeks ago, about a clothing drive, and I thought that the pick up was today, for Boxing day, but I never got a follow up email.  Guess I had better check SPAM.  

image.png.accb7b1edcb704ae5ca51ecdf90143dd.png

image.png.23f49ab08ba29aa392a2cfd5fff0a26c.png

image.png.d1296327dd404ce33f77b7e2124c271a.png

• Like 17
  • Haha 13

19 minutes ago, Denise T said:

Good Tuesday morning. Happy Kwanzaa and Happy Boxing Day. 

Cloudy and chilly today. Fancy enjoyed her walk in the park yesterday. We may take her to another park today. She has recently decided that she will be stubborn with her meals. She doesn't want to eat them and hopes for our food. Eventually she will eat her food but not with the exuberance she once had. Nothing much planned for today as I continue with my vacation. I could get used to this. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.2ed3656448895b3ec2a60ed55e30a576.png

Fancy looks so sweet.

She has lovely fur colour.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I am waiting to get to the second sentence

Maybe the first sentence would be helpful…You know what happens when you dream of falling?

Sometimes you wake up. 
Sometimes the fall kills you.
And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.

I am not a fan of Gaiman, but many of my students enjoyed his graphic storytelling. (Think about reading comic books when you were younger.) Gaiman creates tales of the forces that exist beyond life and death by weaving ancient mythology, folklore and fairy tales.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 14

@JazzyV  For now you can remove me from the rotation...getting around the house without the walker, decreasing the pain meds...just keeping on till I see the surgeon Jan.3.

@StLouisCruisers - so far the only tour I've arranged looks like the one you showed pics of....it was one of the best tours we've done.  We much prefer private tours.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Addison, one of my first cats, once trapped himself in a box. It was in the closet; he got into it, but when he tried to get out, he tipped it over with the open side next to the wall.

I wouldn't mind chicken and dumplings if I could get it delivered, but probably wouldn't make it. No, no, no on the cocktail. Grenache is used for red wine in Spain, where it's called Garnacha, and apparently in Australia, but in California it has been grown mostly for rosé. It's not grown in the Finger Lakes, so I'll nominate a rosé of Pinot Noir from Anyela's Vineyards near Skaneateles Lake (this is the first Skaneateles wine that I've mentioned, or even heard of). They detach their vines from the trellises in the fall and bury them for winter protection, a very unusual procedure here. The other Cartagena, in Spain, was on the itinerary for the Spanish Farewell, but it was one of the multiple ports that we missed.

I'm getting antsy about the biopsy result. It was two weeks as of yesterday.

sandwich.thumb.jpg.6286eb0f733c94ff37d61b08cd62618e.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 17

Good morning, everyone!

I think  it is time for a new keyboard. The spacebar is not working and I have to adjust the space between each word.  What a major pain.

Today is a slow start after yesterday.  Sue has left to go pick up River.  They will stop by River's great grandmother's house for a visit before coming home.  Riv will be here for the week.  We will have a small Christmas with her when she gets here.  DB Bill was so excited about a doll house he got for her.  She will love it.  Other than unloading the dishwasher and putting things away, I have nothing planned.  Sounds like a good time to binge watch some TV.  

@HAL Sailer Melisa, I've been thinking of you a lot, especially when I think of going north.  Hugs to you.

@rafinmd Roy, I hope the one treatment is all you need.  Wishing you the best.

Today's meal just does not appeal to me.  @rafinmd Roy's alternative sounds better.  I think the problem is the picture of the meal.  It looks so bland and lacks visual interest.  If you like your food on the bland side, this is the meal for you!  It really is pretty devoid of seasoning.  Of course, I am a fan of Paul Prudhomme's Seasoned America.  See what you think.  https://marginmakingmom.com/copycat-cracker-barrel-chicken-and-dumplings/

chickenanddumplings1.jpg.bd0592cdae1c2d7f43352c0266d359e6.jpg

This next one has a vegetable base for flavor and looks better.  https://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/cracker-barrel-chicken-and-dumplings/

chickenanddumplings2.jpg.4113b5751a0a824a50b168a576beaa30.jpg

This is another bland as bland can get recipe.  https://www.eatingonadime.com/cracker-barrel-chicken-and-dumplings-recipe/

chickenanddumplings3.thumb.jpg.efd62724e25cf8cd75eea5bdde620c3e.jpg

Leftovers will do for me.  What about you?

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Oh, the space bar has been working perfectly since I complained about it.  Go figure.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10

Good Morning from a warm and rainy day at the beach

Forecast for rain the next few days and then getting colder.  Feel bad for anyone wanting beach time. 

I will celebrate Homeowners Day, but sometimes not so much. 

We received an unexpected but welcome call last nite from a couple that we met on the last cruise. They are driving to S Florida and wanted to stop and see us. They will be here on Thursday. We have done a few Zoom calls with some people from that trip. Very excited to see them. 

@rafinmd Roy,   Sorry to hear that you need radiation but it sounds like thet are following closely.  Take care of yourself.

Today is clean up day. The decorations will come down on Friday. 

Safe travels to everyone

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 25

3 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

I think  it is time for a new keyboard. The spacebar is not working and I have to adjust the space between each word.  What a major pain.

Today is a slow start after yesterday.  Sue has left to go pick up River.  They will stop by River's great grandmother's house for a visit before coming home.  Riv will be here for the week.  We will have a small Christmas with her when she gets here.  DB Bill was so excited about a doll house he got for her.  She will love it.  Other than unloading the dishwasher and putting things away, I have nothing planned.  Sounds like a good time to binge watch some TV.  

@HAL Sailer Melisa, I've been thinking of you a lot, especially when I think of going north.  Hugs to you.

@rafinmd Roy, I hope the one treatment is all you need.  Wishing you the best.

Today's meal just does not appeal to me.  @rafinmd Roy's alternative sounds better.  I think the problem is the picture of the meal.  It looks so bland and lacks visual interest.  If you like your food on the bland side, this is the meal for you!  It really is pretty devoid of seasoning.  Of course, I am a fan of Paul Prudhomme's Seasoned America.  See what you think.  https://marginmakingmom.com/copycat-cracker-barrel-chicken-and-dumplings/

chickenanddumplings1.jpg.bd0592cdae1c2d7f43352c0266d359e6.jpg

This next one has a vegetable base for flavor and looks better.  https://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/cracker-barrel-chicken-and-dumplings/

chickenanddumplings2.jpg.4113b5751a0a824a50b168a576beaa30.jpg

This is another bland as bland can get recipe.  https://www.eatingonadime.com/cracker-barrel-chicken-and-dumplings-recipe/

chickenanddumplings3.thumb.jpg.efd62724e25cf8cd75eea5bdde620c3e.jpg

Leftovers will do for me.  What about you?

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Oh, the space bar has been working perfectly since I complained about it.  Go figure.

I agree. It does not look very appealing but thanks for your research and faithful postings.

• Like 22

20 minutes ago, dfish said:

If you like your food on the bland side, this is the meal for you!  It really is pretty devoid of seasoning. 

I always appreciate @dfish posting the MOD.  Sometimes I make the recipe and sometimes it brings back fond memories. This meal is essentially PA Dutch chicken pot pie.  When I was growing up, it was always what I asked my grandmother to make for me on my birthday.  The key is a rich flavorful homemade stock.  The flavor permeates the tender homemade noodles.  She added potatoes, peas, and sometimes carrots. If you are ever lucky enough to be in Lancaster county at an Amish restaurant, I suggest you try it. (I do not eat at chain restaurants so have never experienced the Cracker Barrel version.). Her version looked more like this one.IMG_8785.thumb.jpeg.3146f252c5717e291647b848b8677f9a.jpeg

Edited by 0106
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 6

32 minutes ago, dfish said:

If you like your food on the bland side, this is the meal for you!  It really is pretty devoid of seasoning.

Two of my mother's sisters once sat down at  her table and declared repeatedly "NOTHING requires any seasoning but salt and pepper." I was doing the serving and would have poisoned them if I had known what they were about to say.

• Like 8
  • Haha 13

Well, I just checked my hellebores and the dang things have blossoms. They normally bloom early but this is way too soon. Crazy weather here. We were at 50f yesterday and heading there again today. The rest of the week will be in the mid to upper 49’s. Crazy weather.

• Like 24

I like Cracker Barrel, I do my candle shopping there, and  I like their hash brown casserole for breakfast.  But @dfish is correct, the meal looks tan....I hate eating from a plate where everything is the same color.  However I did that with the ribs, sweet potato souffle and the corn bread pudding.  The meal was brown.  Sad.

I would eat the meal that @0106posted.

When my mom would make beef stew, she would make what she called a dumpling.  It looked like a biscuit, but it cooked in the gravy.  Came out all big and round, and we would put butter on it, and to me it was the best part of the meal.  My taste buds have matured since then, since I would now eat the veggies, and the beef, but I really miss those "dumplings" of hers. 

When I moved south, and saw chicken and dumplings, I ordered it. I have been disappointed since, and that was more than 50 years ago.  I want my mommas dumplings.

• Like 24

Thanks for the Fleet Update, General Info and funnies from all contributors.

Late to the party today celebrating National Homeowners Day by performing maintenance on my lawn sprinkler system. Spent two hours cutting out roots up to 3” in diameter around one of the sprinkler pop ups! Nothing funny about that! 

• Like 16