All about the Sanctuary?

Clampram

If you like/hate the Sanctuary can you provide some details. From what I understand, it is a private place to sit in the sun with drinks?? Is it worth the price??? I have cruised Princess many times but never took advantage of this feature

You have to go directly to the sanctuary on boarding. The line forms quickly. You choose from whatever seating is available. There isn't much shade. On most ships, maybe all of them, the covering is a netting which really does not provide shade or sun protection. I believe some of the latest ships do have some real shade areas.

You wanted to know if it's worth it. I do not like to sit around in a lounge for hours at a time. So to me the sanctuary isn't my thing. But if you do enjoy sitting around then yes, it's luxury sitting on your cushioned reserved lounge. Think of it this way. If you reserve a lounge for an entire 10 day cruise the cost is $300. The lounge is always there. Come and go as you wish. If you reserve for a few a few afternoons then it's a nice experience, something special for those days.

10 minutes ago, Clampram said:

So when you book your time in the Sanctuary you actually pick your seats at that time?

Correct. When you arrive upstairs to book, the Sanctuary "Maitre'd" walks you through the area, showing you the available loungers you can choose from.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Correct. When you arrive upstairs to book, the Sanctuary "Maitre'd" walks you through the area, showing you the available loungers you can choose from.

They have all the loungers and cabanas mapped out for each day and manually write in your stateroom numbers when you select. Here was one of the days from Enchanted Princess when we went to book:

sancplanner.thumb.jpg.706f4ec0a584b06925d0f26c2e25b2d6.jpg

And here is the special Sanctuary menu:

sancmenu1.thumb.jpg.684f7f523ce32aa3ad99cd33dbb83ff5.jpg

sancmenu2.thumb.jpg.bccfc734b10d9d6bbd93a438bc798877.jpg

We have loved the Sanctuary.  most frequently on Regal.  One of my favorites..  With the nice open cabana type sitting area, as well as your reserved loungers...  Breakfast and lunch there!   (not as fond of the clinical minimalistic look of newer ones)

Yes, it is booked ASAP upon boarding.

Those who have any early priority boarding will get there first, and the bookings fill up fast.

NOTE:  you might also be able to select a shaded cabana at the Adult Retreat Pool...  Not full service and exclusive...  But your own shaded nice padded loungers.

The Sanctuary probably fills up faster than these do.

You select your loungers, and they are set up and waiting for you.  Most of the time the staff are excellent... They will great you by name, reach out to take any 'stuff' you are carrying in, and make sure you are all set up at your loungers.

The Sanctuary layout can be different on each ship

We have a favorite place on the Royal Class ships...  A double lounger that is not up front. (most sun)  But is backed up to the wall, facing forward.  This often provides shade!  And these loungers are not set as close together as some others.  You don't get that up-front view...  but the shade and the space are priceless!

Edited by Wishing on a star

2 hours ago, packedandready said:

Booked the Sanctuary twice on 2 different ships. A really pretty area, but very, very little shade. Since it's in the front of the ship, it can get very windy.

On some ships, it's aft. We're on the Coral in 2025 and the Sanctuary is on the Aloha Deck in the back behind the teen and kid areas.

1 hour ago, notmyfirstname said:

Is there a pool in the sanctuary?  We are on the Ruby Princess in November 2024.

Seems like it https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/ships/shiptour.php?r=4571

4 hours ago, MacMadame said:

On some ships, it's aft. We're on the Coral in 2025 and the Sanctuary is on the Aloha Deck in the back behind the teen and kid areas.

Yes, the Sanctuary location will depend on the ship:

image.png.4ae35ea0c29eb7caf0fa2450110a4d57.png

8 hours ago, notmyfirstname said:

Is there a pool in the sanctuary?  We are on the Ruby Princess in November 2024.

Thanks!

Most ships do not have a dedicated pool in the Sanctuary.  On the Ruby Princess and her sister ships, the Lotus Pool is a deck below - accessible by stairs outside the Sanctuary on deck 17.  It is a small and quiet pool with access also through the spa on deck 16.

image_800x_.jpg?auto=compress%252Cformat

13 hours ago, packedandready said:

Booked the Sanctuary twice on 2 different ships. A really pretty area, but very, very little shade. Since it's in the front of the ship, it can get very windy.

and those would be two reasons to not bother.  No shade and wind.  nope I would pass.

My favorite place on ship is always the aft area and besides I like to move around every hour or so and try different parts of the ship.

Guest Snaxmuppet

We have visited the Sanctuary once and loved it but it was on a TA and we spent nearly all our daytime in there but since then we haven't done it... I feel it is a lovely area, quiet (apart from the wind!) but IMO it just doesn't give me value for money now. Instead, we spend more money on a higher grade cabin and spend a lot of our time in the Retreat Pool area which gives us what we want for free!

Guest Snaxmuppet
3 minutes ago, t18c97 said:

So what are we talking about $ wise for this?

Can't remember the exact price but a search here suggests $40pd/pp and over $200pd/pp for a cabana.

9 minutes ago, t18c97 said:

So what are we talking about $ wise for this?

Loungers $20 for a half day/$40 for a full day, per person. If you purchase for a whole cruise then you can usually get them for $30 a day.  Can be increased to $60 per day when booking for scenic days in Alaska, for example.  Cabanas are available at $140 for a half day/$220 for a full day.

• Thanks 1