platinum tier benefit question

jbreitlow

12 minutes ago, jbreitlow said:

is this sheet left for you in the stateroom?

Yes. And you must use the voucher to pay for your meals. You determine how you are going to pay for each meal at the time you arrive at the restaurant. Platinum vouchers, Free at Sea specialty dinners, purchased Specialty Dining Package diners, vouchers from other sources, a la cart room charge. 

16 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

do they still have the rule that the two platinum dinners can't be used at the same restaurant?

It is printed on the voucher. I don't know if they will really tell you "no". 

Just now, BirdTravels said:

It is printed on the voucher. I don't know if they will really tell you "no". 

thanks.  I really like Food Republic and I'd be more than willing to use both of my platinum plus my one FAS credit there.  Next time I'm on a ship with Food Republic, I'm going to give it a try

6 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

thanks.  I really like Food Republic and I'd be more than willing to use both of my platinum plus my one FAS credit there.  Next time I'm on a ship with Food Republic, I'm going to give it a try

As you are likely aware, the standard practice for many of us "experts" (🤣) is to use a single FAS at food republic to stuff two people with four items. If you use a Platinum voucher, what the heck are you going to do with those eight items?  Maybe travel with a third cruiser (which DW and I do with DD)?

• Thanks 1

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

As you are likely aware, the standard practice for many of us "experts" (🤣) is to use a single FAS at food republic to stuff two people with four items. If you use a Platinum voucher, what the heck are you going to do with those eight items?  Maybe travel with a third cruiser (which DW and I do with DD)?

funny you mention that.  This definitely falls into the "everyone is different" category.  I see people say all the time that they share 4 items.  If I came out of there after sharing 4 items, I'd still be starving.  While the sushi rolls are full size, everything else is tapas style.  It would take 4 of their bowls of pho to equal half a usual small bowl 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

If I came out of there after sharing 4 items, I'd still be starving.

Have you ever shared 8 items with a partner and actually eaten it all?  You may be the first!🤣

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

6 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Have you ever shared 8 items with a partner and actually eaten it all?  You may be the first!🤣

You have obviously never seen Mrs. IA and her sister eat sushi.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

absolutely.  it's the same as eating at Shanghai's or Lotus Garden on the ships with them.  very small portion sizes, so you can load up and try a bunch of stuff

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

absolutely.  it's the same as eating at Shanghai's or Lotus Garden on the ships with them.  very small portion sizes, so you can load up and try a bunch of stuff

Fair enough.  We've only done it at lunch, and I'm generally still loaded up with food (and Bloody Marys @IAcruising) from breakfast.  As long as you maximize your fun, it's all good! 😎

I eat surprisingly little for my large girth.  Probably because I really don't do anything...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, phissy said:

If only one in cabin is Platinum, can they take partner to dinner with them? OR…..Do both guests have to be Platinum?

The Platinum coupon is for the Platinum cruiser AND a guest.  If there are two Platinums in a cabin they only get two coupons total...

14 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

funny you mention that.  This definitely falls into the "everyone is different" category.  I see people say all the time that they share 4 items.  If I came out of there after sharing 4 items, I'd still be starving.  While the sushi rolls are full size, everything else is tapas style.  It would take 4 of their bowls of pho to equal half a usual small bowl 

We can barely finish three, but we manage to drink a bottle of champagne with it 😁

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, itsnotjustme said:

NCL ships sells unopened liquor routinely.

FYI...I'm not the one who made that statement. Go back and read post #11 and you'll see I was quoting someone else.

Edited by schmoopie17

On 12/29/2023 at 3:46 PM, schmoopie17 said:

This sounds like a good option, and one we would definitely like to try.

However, as @chengkp75stated in another recent thread...

"You can walk out with the bottle, if it is opened and partially consumed. The ship is not licensed to sell unopened liquor."

If you've done this in the past, apparently this comes under the heading of YMMV.

Many times we have done this and given to staff as we have package 

19 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Wanted to mention that we just got off the Encore 3 weeks ago, and they wouldn’t let us do this anymore. They said they no longer allow you to share a meal. Annoying but I get it. What they did let us do was order 5 things…charged us for the least expensive, and allowed us to use a single meal credit for the other 4. That way, you’re not “sharing” the meal. One person uses their dining credit, and one person just pays for one thing. It was annoying, but allowed us to go there twice and only cost us like $16. (I’m referencing using dining package credits, not the platinum vouchers. We still use those at Cagney’s and Le Bistro).

You can get away with this the bigger the group you have though. I was also on Encore in October, and we went with a group of 12. I think only 8 or 9 had dining credits left, so we just said the others would pay. We didn’t order more than 8/9 x4 items, so they ended up not paying anything.

On 12/29/2023 at 4:08 PM, cruisinmeme said:

For the most part you get slightly less with the platinum meal so if you have the dinning package I choose that for the restaurant I want more. We do use the platinum for hibachi. I always book that for first night (platinum meal)

You don’t get any less. They’re no different than any other meal with a dining package or if you pay to go to a specialty restaurant.

We usually get the P+ package, which includes bottles of wine. We also ask for our complimentary platinum bottle to be given unopened and usually take it home.

15 minutes ago, zackarykeef said:

Wanted to mention that we just got off the Encore 3 weeks ago, and they wouldn’t let us do this anymore. They said they no longer allow you to share a meal. Annoying but I get it. What they did let us do was order 5 things…charged us for the least expensive, and allowed us to use a single meal credit for the other 4. That way, you’re not “sharing” the meal. One person uses their dining credit, and one person just pays for one thing. It was annoying, but allowed us to go there twice and only cost us like $16.

We experienced this on the Encore last May.  the Guy argued a bit with the hostess & they finally allowed it, but I just hate that.  So last month on the Encore, we said something like "he's using the dining credit, I am just ordering a la carte" & they seated us without any fuss.  Then I "forgot" to order anything.   

• Haha 3

On 12/29/2023 at 1:38 PM, LakePerson said:

Platinum and above also get a free wine tasting and behind the scenes tour. Go to the cruise next desk the day you board to sign up for these.

I am Sapphire status and the person I am traveling with has never been on NCL.  Can they join me for the wine tasting and Behind the Scenes tour or will he be charged?

52 minutes ago, zackarykeef said:

You don’t get any less. They’re no different than any other meal with a dining package or if you pay to go to a specialty restaurant.

We usually get the P+ package, which includes bottles of wine. We also ask for our complimentary platinum bottle to be given unopened and usually take it home.

The T&C's specify 3 courses come with the Platinum dinners.

I think that all other flat-rate deals (FAS & other add-on packages) come with 4 courses.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LimeyUK said:

I am Sapphire status and the person I am traveling with has never been on NCL.  Can they join me for the wine tasting and Behind the Scenes tour or will he be charged?

No, my understanding is the events are specific to Platinum and Above, and do not include guests.

44 minutes ago, LimeyUK said:

it depends on the cruise next staff and how many people signed up for those things. If there is space available, the cruise next staff MIGHT maybe allow a non latitude status to join. 

4 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

The T&C's specify 3 courses come with the Platinum dinners.

I think that all other flat-rate deals (FAS & other add-on packages) come with 4 courses.

Out of all the many times we’ve used them, it’s never been any different. No one anywhere has ever specified amount of courses you get with either the voucher or the package. It might say that in the T+C, but it’s not any different. It also says “4 items at Teppanyaki,” which is not the case. I don’t even think any specialty restaurants specify courses. They’re all the same, except Teppanyaki is standard (other than your entree choice) and FR is 4 items 🤷🏼‍♂️