The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday December 31st, 2023

kazu

A little bit of New Year’s Eve memory lane if I may….

Back in the days when we were younger, DD DH and I used to host New Year’s Eve parties.  Food and drinks galore.  One of the traditions was a Mexican one.  There was always a cake of which everyone HAD to have a piece except myself.  Hidden inside was a baby Jesus.  Whomever got the piece with the baby Jesus had to give a get together in February for us all to get us out of the winter doldrums. A very nice Mexican tradition 👍 

Our most ‘different’ New Year’s Eve was when it turned midnight many times as we were on Malaysia Air flying to Australia.  Once we were on the cruise ship on our first formal night (they were formal back then) we celebrated a belated New Year’s Eve.  Back then, tuxes were not few and far between.

IMG_2570.thumb.jpeg.9ad42244f822b3f700194a94dc7debff.jpeg

Sadly neither of the lovely men on either side of me are no longer with us 💔 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 15

Also testing for the daily group. 

ok, did not get the puzzle. I work on my iPad and don’t log out. Not sure if that matters . Maybe @POA1can weigh in.

it will be a quiet day and New Year’s Eve for us. I doubt we will see midnight.One DD and DSIL a will walk over this afternoon and share a libation with us. The other DD and DSIL have a house party to go to so we won’t see them until NEXT year!

our highlight will be watching the Vienna philharmonic on PBS tomorrow evening. 

wishing everyone a good end to 2023 and a fresh start on 2024. Happy new year to all.

Edited by superoma
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Testing for humanity.

OK for me now.

Roy

Just tested for me for my last post.  

It doesn’t seem to happen on any other thread (at least, not for me).

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I just got it. Very annoying.

Roy

I got it right after the I answered a question. Considering that I'm logged in, never cleared my cookies, and made a legitimate (and hopefully helpful) post, it's pretty silly.

After all, they're ad-supported and posts = content = revenue.

Hopefully they will tweak it so it's less intrusive. Otherwise, posts from people onboard ships will dry up.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Another heavy gray day in New Jersey but not raining or snowing!  

Many thanks to Annie @marshhawk for your insightful  good wishes. You really got it!  I feel like we need to catch our breath!  And I’m working on changing my thinking, focusing my deep gratitude for all our blessings!  Today is a good day to be happy!  Thank you all for the support dealing with our day to day issues!  You have been a great help, collectively a reliable constant while life has been in upheaval. Your caring has been keeping me going!  

We had a difficult time getting into Fanning Island on our Tales of  the South Pacific. Our Amsterdam tender #9 had a dual engine failure while we were pushing against an outflow tide trying to get through the reef pass. Our able bodied crewman jumped through the front hatch window and dropped an anchor to keep us from drifting while the officer onboard radioed and worked to get us restarted. Didn’t happen. The ship sent another tender to tow us. Of course all other tendering stopped so passengers were not happy. The anchor didn’t fully hold us and we were dragging toward the reef but the tow hooked up. DH and I had a front row seat in the tender. Then “THWACK” the tow line snapped and hit the tender windiw right in front of us but it’s a plexiglass and didn’t shatter. They had been trying to tow us into the lagoon, much closer than the ship. But on second try they hooked us up and turned us toward the ship. The ABS cut the anchor line, sacrificing it. We were towed in a wide circle and it was a rough landing into the ship without an engine for steerage but we were safe. I wrote a grateful letter to the captain praising the quickness of the seaman who got the anchor out instantly. We saw him several times on the cruise and he was so grateful to us; he was afraid for his job, not sure why. Of course there was never any explanation about the dual engine failure. That tender was up and running later. Maybe bad fuel, maybe electrical. DH and I did get to the island and enjoyed it. Sandi’s pictures are spot on with my memory, thanks for posting!  

I will gladly meditate on World Peace. Our common rooms here have beautiful holiday decorations and I’m so glad to see nativities, menorahs and Kwanza candles. I don’t know the breadth of backgrounds of the staff here but I can say that the names of the dining room servers, mostly local high schoolers, seem to come from many backgrounds, not unlike being on a ship. 

I love seeing posts from those traveling. @cruising sister I survived an 8-hr layover in LAX on my way to a funeral in Australia. Didn’t know of any sleep capsules, would have helped!   I had to have my best attitude about every aspect of that trip, only time I traveled abroad alone. So glad I was able to do it!   You’re on your way to a beautiful adventure, I hope you find a safe and comfortable place to rest on the way to SD. Thanks for keeping us posted. 

Every Blessing my special friends, to you and yours!  We embark together into the excitement of a new year and all it will unfold for us!  DH and I will save our champagne for our 31st anniversary Jan 2!  Getting married later in life, I never expected we’d make it this far!  And here are!  The gift of a new and caring place to live, new procedures and new doctors to help our needs!!  Loving grandchildren just over an hour away!  Life is good🌈. The honeymoon couple called last night bubbling over with the excitement of their cruise. We’re so glad they didn’t miss the ship having to leave for it quite early the morning after their wedding!  Older grandkids are coming this afternoon for a visit and dinner!  DH is managing so I am too!  My heart is overflowing!  🎉. I don’t know if we’ll get to cruise this year but we have today and each other and the promise of a Happy New Year if we keep focused on all the good!  Thank you all for sharing the journey!  
Maureen

nothing weird to post this. 

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 30

Good morning everyone. Had to prove I’m human. What an annoyance. I have my alarm clock set for 11:45 tonight so I can call a friend who doesn’t live near me anymore. We spent about 58 or 59 NYEs together in person and since covid on some of those the phone.  Happy and healthy new year to all.  I’m praying for peace for everyone.

• Like 27

Good morning all!

I can't remember the last time I stayed up until midnight on New Year's Eve, but we'll have our champagne tonight and celebrate early!  Since our area always has a TON of fireworks on New Year's Eve I may be awake, but at least in bed.

This is our last full day at home before the GANZ, so lots to do.  DS will pick us up tomorrow and take us to our airport hotel, we fly out Tuesday morning at 9.

I'm sure I would like the wine and probably the drink, but will pass on the spicy meal.  Don't need heartburn along with all the fireworks LOL!  Tonight will be pork chops and the last of the produce -- I can't believe I was able to make all the food last long enough but not too long.  This may be a first for me. 😅 I had thought I'd be giving food to my neighbor, but it looks like we'll eat it all! 

We will be in Fanning Island on January 15 -- thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the great photos.  We're bringing things to donate too so I hope we're able to tender in.  Apparently the ship has items from the last cruise that couldn't tender in too.

It's exciting to hear that @durangoscots is in San Diego and that @cruising sister and @Cruisercl will be there soon.  Please post photos of any get-togethers for those of us who haven't gotten there 🙂  See you soon!

Sandi @StLouisCruisers That stocking will be beautiful!  I'm always excited to start a new project, especially beautiful ones like this.  I'll be bringing a large project with me on the cruise (a scene in Europe) -- we'll see how far I get 😉  I hope to at least get a good start on it.  

Happy New Year's Eve everyone!

Edited to add that I didn't have to prove I'm human.  But I never log out of CC.

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, kazu said:

A little bit of New Year’s Eve memory lane if I may….

Back in the days when we were younger, DD DH and I used to host New Year’s Eve parties.  Food and drinks galore.  One of the traditions was a Mexican one.  There was always a cake of which everyone HAD to have a piece except myself.  Hidden inside was a baby Jesus.  Whomever got the piece with the baby Jesus had to give a get together in February for us all to get us out of the winter doldrums. A very nice Mexican tradition 👍 

Happy New Year everyone!

My office mate was one of something like 15 kids. She said her mother used to tell her and her siblings that if they got the Baby, they were to swallow it!

(and, yes- I AM human!)

I got it too.

• Like 13
  • Haha 10

Good morning. I just walked up to the grocery store and was glad I had my heavier coat. There is a cold wind blowing and only occasional sun. 
@kazu, Jacqui, I love the formal picture, thank you for posting it. 
DD DH and I had some spectacular New Years Eve’s in the over forty years we spent together. We liked to get dressed up and really go out. I am glad we did it when we could and it is great to have such fun memories.

I taught my student cooks how to make a proper roux and wait for the right color. They were surprised at how long that can take! We made a pretty good chicken and sausage gumbo and rice to go with it. The vegetarians had some leftover chili.

I wish everyone a Happy and healthy New Year. 2023 will not be missed.

Thanks to all that keep this lovely thread going.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

download.jpg.5b15888c1278577220419875702a09e2.jpg

Happy New Year's Eve from a sunny Quartzsite.  It is 42F with a 5mph wind and sunny.   Our high today will be 61F.  Our highs for the foreseeable future will be in the low 60s and upper 50s, which is more typical for this time of year.

Instead of Champagne tonight, we'll be having Prosecco with dinner and a glass or two to toast in the New Year.  We usually make it to midnight where ever we are, and it's usually just the two of us.  The last New Year's Eve party was at a neighbors here.  She wanted the party to be from 9pm to just after midnight, but the first people she invited said they couldn't come because they would be in bed by 9pm.  She switched to party to 6-9 instead.  To usher in 2000, we had a party in Texas for all the neighbors, and only two couple left at 11pm after the ball dropped in NYC.  It would really be a miracle if meditating on world peace worked, but it is till worth a try.

The George R.R. Martin quote is good.  I read the first book, but never got around to reading the others.

We'll pass on the meal.  Tonight it will be salmon (me) and cod (DH) with the last of the scalloped potatoes and Mediterranean vegetables from Christmas.  I'll take a frozen strawberry daiquiri, please.  We'll pass on the wine.  

We are ending the year with a port we have not visited.

Like Roy @rafinmd I noticed today's date in history took place before the Declaration of Independence was written.

So far, I've not had to prove I am human, but I haven't clicked on Submit Reply yet.  We do not logout of CC  either.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thanks for the pictures from Fanning Island and Antarctica.  You do have your work cut out for you with the stocking.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, I wish the cat had knocked 2023 off the table sooner.

@Denise T  Denise, I hope you will be able to fulfill your dream of retirement soon.  Once retired, you'll wonder when you ever found time to work.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope you and Ivan have a lovely time with your neighbor.

@Nickelpenny  Penny, I'm glad your tour yesterday was good.  Thanks for the pictures.  We're glad you joined the Daily family.

@Cruzin Terri Terri, I'm glad you plan to relax today.  Everyone needs a day off occasionally.

@cruising sister   Lorraine, have a safe flight, and I hope you can get some rest during your layover in LA.  Wow on only one working bathroom on the plane. I hope you can get a blanket if it stays cold.

@kochleffel  Paul, I hope the "are you human' puzzle doesn't drive you away from CC and the Daily.

@marshhawk  Annie, I know you will be careful today if the hostess is still sick.  Otherwise, you could just drop off the cheese platter, say hello and make a graceful exit.

@dfish  Debbie, when DH had the shunt placed and they put gas in his abdomen, he was told to walk to help relief the gas.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I'm glad the newlyweds enjoyed the cruise.  I hope you continue to adjust to your new home and enjoy it as much as you did your place in Maryland.  Have a good visit with the grandkids.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, I've never managed to have the perishable food run out with the last meal before a trip.  

@smitty34877 Terry, I still don't know how to make a proper roux.  I think I'm not patient enough.  I'm glad the gumbo was good.

Thank you to all the Dailyites, regular, occasional or just lurkers for being here and for helping get me through a couple of difficult years.  We are both looking forward to 2024 and a better year for us and for all of you.

411068664_690217873249658_2662030627180179640_n.jpg.dbd515c1529e178f461d6d03c138408f.jpg

414703449_332279079657545_6084793628626260585_n.jpg.419202e2a98eea7eaeb38109aee984d5.jpg

414658056_770152981794117_4569567115837649653_n.thumb.jpg.cb15f6682d6158759408ca6552be3728.jpg

414323427_340532848734498_3286814110406381425_n.thumb.jpg.4f8846539482f48420d56fb7cef5b297.jpg

I already had this meme ready for today before the "I'm Not A Robot" appeared.

414681510_10159238133631431_8086313086418483289_n.thumb.jpg.2a887641af331a50e96ac6ff1a891b71.jpg

Lenda

PS:  I got the puzzle, and with a miracle solved it on the first try.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 11

I'm back, I got gas, the needed groceries and grabbed some great dark chocolate covered gingerbread (soft) cookies.  I didn't need them, but they are so good.  I love a cookie, that is a) covered in chocolate and b) takes more than two bites to eat.  Today starts my favorite sandwiches day.  Nothing fancy being served here.  Just well loved sandwiches that I don't get very often.

@RMLincoln Do you know what is causing your DH's eye problems?  Chuck's started after his last surgery to unroll his lower eyelid after an infection caused the lower lid to roll under.  He lost all his lashes due to chemo, and they have not grown back, and he did a second operation to open the eyes wider, as his upper lid was affecting his vision. He asked the doc to work on his blind eye too, so that he looked more balanced.  After his oncologist told him to not work on the right side where the cancer is.  Do you ever have days you could just scream?  

I seem to have had a lot of days this year, when I scream like a banshee.  It appears that I have not been patient or particularly kind this year.  I try.  I guess this years resolution, is to keep my mouth shut, until i go outside in the far back of the yard.  

@dfishI read the book years ago, after going to see an IMAX film on Shackleton, and an exhibit at the Science museum.  He became my hero.  I did enjoy the film.  But, it did make me feel colder.  And yes, amazing that all the men survived.

Once again it appears that what I am sending you all- you actually have to open. Make sure your sound is on.

https://jlcards.com/s0kX3m

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

With all the wonderful pictures of Antarctica and talk of the Endurance documentary…I just finished this excellent book about the Belgica’s voyage.  They over wintered in the ice 17 years before Shackleton on the Endurance.IMG_8811.thumb.jpeg.3ff564ba3913ea336415c653469c4aa8.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, 0106 said:

With all the wonderful pictures of Antarctica and talk of the Endurance documentary…I just finished this excellent book about the Belgica’s voyage.  They over wintered in the ice 17 years before Shackleton on the Endurance.IMG_8811.thumb.jpeg.3ff564ba3913ea336415c653469c4aa8.jpeg

Just put a hold on this from my local library. I always appreciate your book info. Now to get thru the six books in my basket before this one shows up for pickup! At least the library is closed for two days so it won’t begin its journey to me before Tuesday. I read two books yesterday. A James Patterson “Alex cross must die” where I was pleased to find a reference to “my octopus teacher”, a Netflix documentary we enjoyed and a reference to Jameson black barrel Irish whiskey, which I can attest was very smooth and good. I got a small bottle in my stocking.  The other book was an eBook, eat and get gas, a Vietnam era family (dysfunctional) story. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I did not have to prove I was a human when I posted earlier.  We'll see what happens with this post.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, I am walking!  I get up every so often and do a couple laps around the dining room and kitchen.  It does help.  The gas isn't as bad.  The first night it hurt like crazy when I went to lay down in bed.  

@marshhawk I've been cold ever since we watched that.  I kept checking the thermostat to make sure the boiler was still working.  It is so I just put on warmer clothes.

A shower and clean clothes make a big difference.  

• Like 21

22 minutes ago, dfish said:

I did not have to prove I was a human when I posted earlier.  We'll see what happens with this post.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, I am walking!  I get up every so often and do a couple laps around the dining room and kitchen.  It does help.  The gas isn't as bad.  The first night it hurt like crazy when I went to lay down in bed.  

@marshhawk I've been cold ever since we watched that.  I kept checking the thermostat to make sure the boiler was still working.  It is so I just put on warmer clothes.

For me it's been showers & either clean jammies or sweats.  Haven't been out of the house since Dec. 15.....headed for my post-op appt on Jan. 3 so I'll have to get 'dressed'.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks.  No, we won’t get a virus but it’s a real PITA.  I’m thinking of shutting down and coming back on and see if it goes away.

I think CC was under a DDOS (distributed denial of service) attack last night. It also happened on Christmas. If you have servers and you have some experience under your belt, you expect attacks around any holiday. Most companies are short-staffed on holidays, so attackers have more time to work and fewer people trying to fix things.

The human verification system we saw this morning was a new one to me. For whatever reason, I was never redirected after I proved that I'm not a bot. I just sat there, looking at the Success! Screen. It never moved on.

I'd like to think that's because I'm such a successful guy, but I'm guessing it was just glitch.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 4

Since I had to prove I was human earlier, but not on the edit, we'll see what happens this time.  While I prefer not to have to solve a puzzle every time, really anytime, what bothers me is that it seems random.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

I'm back, I got gas, the needed groceries and grabbed some great dark chocolate covered gingerbread (soft) cookies.  I didn't need them, but they are so good.  I love a cookie, that is a) covered in chocolate and b) takes more than two bites to eat.  Today starts my favorite sandwiches day.  Nothing fancy being served here.  Just well loved sandwiches that I don't get very often.

@RMLincoln Do you know what is causing your DH's eye problems?  Chuck's started after his last surgery to unroll his lower eyelid after an infection caused the lower lid to roll under.  He lost all his lashes due to chemo, and they have not grown back, and he did a second operation to open the eyes wider, as his upper lid was affecting his vision. He asked the doc to work on his blind eye too, so that he looked more balanced.  After his oncologist told him to not work on the right side where the cancer is.  Do you ever have days you could just scream?  

I seem to have had a lot of days this year, when I scream like a banshee.  It appears that I have not been patient or particularly kind this year.  I try.  I guess this years resolution, is to keep my mouth shut, until i go outside in the far back of the yard.  

@dfishI read the book years ago, after going to see an IMAX film on Shackleton, and an exhibit at the Science museum.  He became my hero.  I did enjoy the film.  But, it did make me feel colder.  And yes, amazing that all the men survived.

Once again it appears that what I am sending you all- you actually have to open. Make sure your sound is on.

https://jlcards.com/s0kX3m

Annie, I had a lot of days when I let it all out in the shower and /or cried the past few years.  Things are getting better, and I hope they do for you too.  Loved the card and the message.  Thank you.

50 minutes ago, dfish said:

Debbie, I figured you were, but just thought I'd mention the walking.  They must have filled DH up with a lot of gas since it took several days for it to be absorbed.  The funny thing was he could feel the "gas bubble" move when he turned from side to side in bed.  A shower and clean clothes always make a difference.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 21

2 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I think CC was under a DDOS (distributed denial of service) attack last night. It also happened on Christmas. If you have servers and you have some experience under your belt, you expect attacks around any holiday. Most companies are short-staffed on holidays, so attackers have more time to work and fewer people trying to fix things.

The human verification system we saw this morning was a new one to me. For whatever reason, I was never redirected after I proved that I'm not a bot. I just sat there, looking at the Success! Screen. It never moved on.

I'd like to think that's because I'm such a successful guy, but I'm guessing it was just glitch.

Thanks for the information.  I was expecting the "dancing" letters and numbers, but got a puzzle.  Fortunately, I was redirected and the post showed up.  When I edited it and submitted the last post, they went through normally.

Lenda

• Like 18

i tried to post something on my roll call.  After three attempts it finally posted.  Of course I got the puzzle as well (three times). 

At first I thought CC was not allowing my post, which was quite ordinary, but then found it wasn’t submitted.  i know that that I did.  Tried again, same thing.  Third time’s a charm.

Go figure!

Terri

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thank you to all who contribute to this community.   

Like many I will be happy to say goodbye to 2023.   My yoga teacher had a lovely way to look at  the year.  She said to imagine a branch of a rose with a faded bloom,  a thorn and a bud on it.  

The faded bloom is something positive, or something you are grateful for this past year,   The thorn something you needed support for or overcame and the bud what will unfold in the new year.  I really liked this,  we had some significant milestones but too had a large thorn.  Praying for everyone to have hope for good in the new year.     

Wishing you all a lovely budding of the new year.  We will be opening the saved Dom Perignon from our 50 th anniversary.   A very happy, healthy 24 filled with new possiblities and adventures to you all. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1c450214256df5e7c031b3438082730f.jpegwishing 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Good afternoon. Thanks for the FR/Daily @kazu and @richwmn.

I have my little bottle of champagne chilling (and sparkling grape juice for BFF). We certainly need to meditate on World Peace. NYE will be quiet, at home. Good quote by a favorite author. I like the meal, but not for today. Pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Fanning Island. Interesting day in history.

I too had the "prove you are human" thing pop up when posting the Care List from my iPad. And I don't ever log out either. I got it wrong at first (no glasses), then got it. I thought my post was gone, but it was there when I clicked on reply. Is CC getting a lot of bots, that we have to do this? I haven't had it occur on the PC, but I'll see when I try to post this.

It's 39F and cloudy currently, with rain/snow showers off and on. It won't stick. There's big goings on downtown for NYE, but I won't be going out. Again I had about 4 hours of sleep. I spent most of yesterday afternoon, photographing and estimating replacement costs for the few things that got damaged by the water leak. BFF will come over this evening to ring in the new year with me.

@StLouisCruisers Good luck on finishing the stocking; it's quite complex. Great photos from Fanning Island and your Antarctica travelogue. 

@rafinmd Thanks for the maps.

@0106 Thanks for the recipes.

@kazu Enjoy the Chinese food with your neighbor today. Nice photo of a past NYE.

@Nickelpenny I'm glad you were able to enjoy your excursion yesterday. 

@dfish I hope each day you are a little less sore. The gas is likely in the abdomen, not the GI tract, so I'm not sure the gas reliever will help, but it won't hurt. Your body will gradually absorb the gas.

@RMLincoln I pray you're feeling a bit more settled today. Oh my, what an adventure on that tender to Fanning Island! 

@smitty34877 I've never made a roux, so the teenagers are ahead of me!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating. May we all have a blessed 2024!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1