The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday, January 1st, 2024 - Happy New Year!

kazu

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!

New-Year-SMS-2022-Messages-Wishes--Happy-New-Year-2022-1.jpg.285115650bcad3f6fd0490e092254c5c.jpg

@Cat in my lap

7cdcffcb63097ea3e9f629bf99578a0b.jpg.77840a94a988b36238b0d72621bbba09.jpg

It was a quiet celebration here last night.  I was in bed asleep by 10:30 pm.  So, the new year was on its own.  Sue slept in this morning.  She is trying to fight a headache.  So, it was just River and me for a while.  The milk smelled off to me for River's cereal so she got it with whipped cream.  It's a holiday.  

Today I am making chicken wings and we are snuggling in under the quilts and watching TV.  We'll find something to watch.  I want to watch the Rose Bowl, but Sue pitches a fit about football.  I may send her and River downstairs.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Rabbit, rabbit. I may or may not have been awake at midnight. I think that I have some Euros, also some Danish and Faroese kroner and Swiss francs.

I like sweet potatoes well enough but probably won't be having any. No on the drink. For the wine, Damiani 2010 Brut. I haven't been to Osaka.

I felt awful yesterday, and eventually realized that in addition to emotional distress, I hadn't eaten properly, so added several different vegetables plus brown rice to the vegan sausage for dinner. I need to buy vegetables, as I have plenty of cucumber but almost nothing else.

newyearassemblyrequired.thumb.jpg.5e0e29e1f24cf7212113f29f7e06aae3.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I have a sunrise today from my Sierra Madre Express Copper Canyon trip.  We  celebrated the millennium in an isolated scenic clifftop hotel away from electronics and all the trappings of modern life.  Not really much of a view of the sun but I loved the view looking down on the hotel roof.

img5005.JPG.5a4506f9e83611d59f5908df004f1ec2.JPG

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning and Happy New Year!  Thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Last night I turned out the lights at 9 and DH woke me and Mona shortly after midnight.  Today’s meal suggestion is one I like but not for today.  Today I’m making pork and sauerkraut for dinner.  The only agenda item is a load of laundry, I don’t think we are leaving the house today.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

From out visit to San Juan.

88C566EC-B5B9-4BC3-AF13-B33F31BB38F8.thumb.jpeg.51fb76c1993b833ed989ae35c962a04d.jpeg

• Like 31

Happy Monday New Years Day Dailyites!  I was the first footer out and in this morning.  Well last night and this morning, as I am the cat feeder.  Bubbles went out yesterday afternoon, sat in the sun for awhile, and the after being fed some deli roast beef, he disappeared, and has not been back.  

I put out the 3 plates this morning, and just checked to see if anyone had come by, and the black and white scaredy cat was trying to eat all the food.  Bless him.  When he went searching for the Temptations, I opened the door to put some out, and he ran away.

The friends who decided to have the New Years Day party, will be feeding us ham, black eyed peas, and collard greens.  I realize that in the south this is a tradition to guarantee that they will have money for the next year.  I have never had black eyed peas, or collard greens.  In fact I do not remember any kind of food tradition in the house when I was growing up.  Is there a Yankee traditional food for New Years Day?  My tradition is just watching the Rose bowl.  And sleeping the afternoon away.  Not today.

@dfishhas taught me to roast all veggies (except spinach) sweet potato sounds most wonderful! 

My favorite roasted veggie is however is (sorry @dfish) carrots.

Lots of gunfire last night, but when I heard a machine gun?  it was time for bed! 

• Like 31

Happy New Year to everyone from a damp Ireland.

My new year resolution is to try to drop in here every day and at least say 'hello'.

Hope everyone has a great day and year and life.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We headed back to the Quest ready to enjoy the remainder of our New Year's Day.  Shortly thereafter we noticed the Zaandam far off in the distance.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

At about 5 pm we were told to come out to the pool deck to see the Polar Plunge event.  Hopefully the pool water was good and cold, especially after we'd thrown the ice blocks in it two days earlier. I went out to watch from the deck above, all bundled up and for good measure a lap blanket wrapped around my lower half.  Meanwhile our brave Captain was the first one out there to take a flying leap into the pool.  He has that thick Nordic blood you know…

Yep, there he went!  Everyone else crept out in their thick robes, tossed them off and jumped in with him.  Meanwhile I was shivering outside because I didn't have my parka on, only my puffy coat.  Thank goodness the sun had come out this afternoon though.

There is our Captain egging on the participants to stay in a little longer.  While he is standing there soaking wet with temperatures in the 30's.

The wonderful staff brought out some warm mulled wine which hopefully helped to warm up these frozen individuals.

Most of them hopped into the hot tubs to thaw themselves out, but not the Captain.  He simply donned his robe and chatted with onlookers.  He was probably still barefoot too!

The weather looked fine here but we were told there was a low coming and we would be leaving Antarctica to try to get to South Georgia Island ahead of it.  Farewell Antarctica! 

Interesting that the Polar Plunge was done in the pool. The two times we were on the Quest (holidays 2019/20 and January 2023), it was a true Polar Plunge and there were more participants than I would have imagined. And, btw, we were on the Zaandam in that photo you posted!! Can you tell, we love Antarctica?

We mailed post cards from the Chilean base you showed yesterday on January 1, 2020. The postcard arrived in the states in October!!

• Like 26

White rabbit white rabbit and Happy New Year to all. Thanks for the daily and fleet report, recipes and drink/wine suggestions. I think I will pass on all of them. 

We had a rocking party last night to ring in the New Year on the Zuiderdam. I was able to chat with The Runaround Kids (they played on the Main Stage) AND  I got a picture with the Captain and Staff Captain. So exciting!!  A little achy this morning but mainly my knees. Luckily my back seems to be doing ok - normal stuff. It’s a sea day today so my plan is to take it easy. 

IMG_3922.thumb.jpeg.78335a83643d09bfc368f87ae316d4cf.jpeg

Dinner in the MDR was good - escargots 🥰, lobster and filet. Everything was delicious but the filet was a little tough. Since I didn’t go to bed until about 0200 I actually slept in to 0800 😅.

IMG_3901.thumb.jpeg.d7064387392d51fdec78fa469eee83b6.jpeg

IMG_3902.thumb.jpeg.031620e5dc92525aea5c58e7be57842e.jpegIMG_3903.thumb.jpeg.82a7fa13354652d5777a5febdd23054c.jpegIMG_3907.thumb.jpeg.1ed3d3e1dea8c5826c681537d1d268b7.jpeg

one more port - Bimini - tomorrow and then disembarking Wednesday. What a cruise this has been. 

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers for everyone!

IMG_3891.thumb.jpeg.015fb4173f1fe446432ffc34bd3878fa.jpeg

Have a great day!!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Squirrel, Squirrel, gray Squirrel.  Happy New Year to all the daily followers.  Last night I did my usual rituals to welcome in the New Year.  Just before midnight, I stand up, then slowly bend my left knee and then grab my left foot and hold it until after the New Year has arrived.  That way I will know that I am starting off the New Year on the right foot.   Ok, to be honest, I watched the ball drop on TV at 11 PM our time, and said close enough for me, and headed for bed.  My party days are long behind me.  

• Like 16
  • Haha 16

Jacqui @kazu have agreed to a slight change to the Fleet Report and Daily.  For most days she will post the Fleet locations without the maps and I will add the maps a little later.  She contributes so much to cruise critic I think this will be a positive.

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 13

Happy new year to all. As per usual, I didn’t make it to midnight but did wake up briefly when my neighbours were outside banging pots at midnight! But just rolled over and went back to sleep.

wishing everyone health and happiness in the new year, safe travels if you are travelling. Prayers for all that are ill or grieving! 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Rabbit   Rabbit   White Rabbit

Happy New Year!

I was asleep by midnight and up at 6 this morning.  We had a little bit more snow overnight, but not enough to shovel.  Bertie and I went for a walk when the sun came up.  I made eggs, hash browns and toast for breakfast for hubby and myself then noticed Godzilla movies on TV!  So much fun.  I was planning on roast chicken and sweet potatoes for supper tonight, but we have so much Chinese food left from last night that we'll finish that tonight and have the chicken and potatoes tomorrow.

Prayers for a peaceful year.

• Like 28

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I think this tree will chase away the winter doldrums!

Very pretty and tempting. 🙂. I’m sure the tree will chase away the winter doldrums but I’m wondering how long some of the decorations will last 😉 

1 hour ago, Mr. Boston said:

The house is very quiet this morning as we celebrated my sister Pat’s 60th birthday last night.

A belated very happy birthday wish to Pat on her 60th!

IMG_3615.jpeg.8c1d2fa993b3ececc977338e79668411.jpeg

26 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Jacqui @kazu have agreed to a slight change to the Fleet Report and Daily.  For most days she will post the Fleet locations without the maps and I will add the maps a little later.  She contributes so much to cruise critic I think this will be a positive.

Thank you Roy for your very kind offer.  Your maps are better than mine.  I can get one ship named on cruise mapper at a time.  I even downloaded the app which was useless BTW.  Many thanks for you help ♥️ 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

@Cat in my lap Happy Anniversary.  

I did my usual last night - in bed by around 11 and this time I didn't bother with turning on the TV and trying to make it to midnight.  I still have the cold courtesy of my GK's and it looks like DH is now going to be sick with it as well. My brother and SIL and nieces and DH and grandnieces and nephew are all visiting but they are all staying at my mother's house. So far we haven't been able to see them. I will try and visit tomorrow with a mask on and outside.    I know they don't want to get sick and given that my mother is 94 we have to be very careful around her.  

@St Louis Cruiser Love the pictures and your daughter is so creative.  

It sounds like everyone is having a good time on their cruises and so many are getting ready to cruise soon. I can't wait to follow the blogs of the people on the Grand Australia cruise - and the world cruise.  It is so much fun to travel along with you.

Sending healing thoughts to all who are hurting.

@kazu  Thank you for doing the daily and to all others who post every day. It makes this place so special.  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2