1st Time Offered an upgrade bid Coral Princess

25 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm sure it will go quickly. At the end of the 35 night cruise I would have happily done it all again immediately. I'm starting to collect all the consumables we'll need for the trip. Past experience has shown that it's not always easy to the products we like in other countries plus we're not going to have that much time for shopping, we'll be too busy seeing the sights.

Take it with you, almost everything we wanted overseas was not what we get in Australia.

A lot of things we accept as normal, are quite often banned in other countries.

As long as you don't take them of the ship there's no problems, however if your planning to take items ashore, check them out for each country your planning to take things into.

Some things like over the counter purchase here (medicines, cough mixtures, etc) can get you arrested in some other countries.

So carefully check out what you plan to carry with you.

We went through all our medication with our doctor, and she gave us a list of medication she prescribed, and noted what they were for, in a letter form.

She also provided a medical list of treatment that we have had that may be useful to anyone treating us overseas, in case it was relevant to their treatments they were considering.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Take it with you, almost everything we wanted overseas was not what we get in Australia.

A lot of things we accept as normal, are quite often banned in other countries.

As long as you don't take them of the ship there's no problems, however if your planning to take items ashore, check them out for each country your planning to take things into.

Some things like over the counter purchase here (medicines, cough mixtures, etc) can get you arrested in some other countries.

So carefully check out what you plan to carry with you.

We went through all our medication with our doctor, and she gave us a list of medication she prescribed, and noted what they were for, in a letter form.

She also provided a medical list of treatment that we have had that may be useful to anyone treating us overseas, in case it was relevant to their treatments they were considering.

We're used to doing that anyway, just not in the quantities required for almost four months. Our medical kit stays on the ship though. 

I'm fairly sure our GP will provide us with any documentaion we need, and any extra prescription meds we need. He used to make sure I always carried antibiotics as at one stage I was prone to bronchitis which only responded to one type of antibiotic. Of course during Covid they reached their expiry date and I haven't got around to getting more.

But it's not just medications, it's skin care products, shampoo and conditioner, etc. Some things are easy to find overseas but other things aren't. I've already checked UK and US stores online as those are places where we have some planned shopping time. 

The amount of luggage is going to be a challenge. I'm a chronic overpacker at the best of times! 🤣 At least the consumables will get used during the cruise and I've mostly learnt to just buy fridge magnets and other small items as souvenirs ... OK, I did say mostly says the person who came back from Japan with Yuzu sake, skin care products from Busan, and some yummy things from Japan and Soyth Korea. Oh, and a small stuffed elephant from Bangkok! Oops! That was in addition to all the fridge magnets. 😳

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The amount of luggage is going to be a challenge. I'm a chronic overpacker at the best of times! 🤣 At least the consumables will get used during the cruise and I've mostly learnt to just buy fridge magnets and other small items as souvenirs ... OK, I did say mostly says the person who came back from Japan with Yuzu sake, skin care products from Busan, and some yummy things from Japan and Soyth Korea. Oh, and a small stuffed elephant from Bangkok! Oops! That was in addition to all the fridge magnets. 😳

I would not worry too much re luggage see extract from our last WC blog below:

B-Day (Boarding Day)

Well actually B-Day -1, we are frantically packing, and already it is obvious that Hils 1 large bag each was wildly optimistic. Current estimate is at least six bags is going to be the go.
Complicating this cruise is we need to pack for some cold weather as we travel through the arctic circle.
But I'm no innocent angle in the packing stakes, I'm being a little naughty, normally I only pack 14 days of everything, but just know the boat is going to be full of Elite level passengers like us, and the free washing is going to have long turn around times, so currently loading 21 days' worth of standard cruise clothes and 7 days of winter clothes for the artic bit. THAT's 28 days of clothes, gees I hope it fits in.

The day is wearing on and the frantic pace of packing has well passed on, the level now is hectic beyond belief.
Where this? where's that? is the major cry's going on around me, and I'm hoping I will survive the next few hours.

Oh my god, my packing usually lasts no more than 30 minutes, we have been going at it for hours and we're still not completed.

I'm folding and rolling, cramming, and squeezing, and I now have one suit case full. Just weighed it, 29kg, good grief, I never have more than 21kg, this is ridiculous. How can this be! And I still have heaps I need, repeat NEED to pack yet.

We have got down to the nitty gritties now, I have finished pack two more smaller bags.
For the sake of sanity, and my own wellbeing, I have been packing in the guest bedroom, while Hil uses our bedroom, just popped in to see how she is going. And ahm, in my own best interests, I will refrain from any comments, other than to say my earlier overly optimistic estimate of six bags has been seriously shattered.

We are now at least 7 most likely 8, umm what's that dear? Ohh umm ahh ok, make that 9 bloody bags…..

Ok, Ok dear no, their not all yours, (just most of them). 4.5 mdbw (my dearly beloved wife) 3.5 yours truly, and 1 general bits and pieces. And yes, That's Right, now 10 bags including carry on's.

We are officially now packed, we can now sit down, and enjoy a nice glass of wine, and a job well done.

Ahh what! still more to cram in!!! where!!! Yes dear stop grumbling or we'll never get finished!
Several little flurries of repacking later, not I have to admit, all mdbw, quite a bit of oh my god haven't I packed that from me as well.

But we are now off to bed, for a good night's sleep, well as good as you would expect with the excitement that we are off tomorrow, YAY

OMG, I pretty much pack the same clothes for a long weekend as for a 8 week trip, the only difference is having a few extra outfits such as the Tux, a towel,  cold weather gear such as  warmer jacket, beanie, gloves etc.

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

OMG, I pretty much pack the same clothes for a long weekend as for a 8 week trip, the only difference is having a few extra outfits such as the Tux, a towel,  cold weather gear such as  warmer jacket, beanie, gloves etc.

Ditto. We have standard cruise wardrobes which usually includes one of Rolf's dinner jackets. For cooler weather trips we add layers, hats, gloves.

Our standard luggage set is two medium-large spinners with two overnight bags that fit on top. For our recent Japan trip we added an extra slightly smaller spinner as we were expecting colder weather in Japan, which we didn't get until the last few days, plus we needed enough hot weather clothes for Bangkok where we didn't want to have to pay for laundry.

We've just bought another of the slightly smaller spinners at the sales. I'm hoping that will be enough but we have a few other bags we can use if needed. We will add a few extras of some items. Usually we take 8 days of clothes and put laundry in every second day but we'll probably increase that to 10 or 12 days. And, of course since Rolf now has two dinner jackets he'll be taking both. Luckily he's not a sale shopper so I don't have to worry about him adding to his dinner jacket collection. 🤣 My formal outfits are all silk kaftans and the whole lot together will take about half the space of one dinner jacket. 

I just saw a post elsewhere about the world cruise upgrade bidding. The consensus from all the posts is "too expensive". We might have a chance after all. 🤞

I did do my homework before we placed our bid, checking the difference between the current fare for the nearest available cabin category to the one we have booked and the cheapest mini-suite fare. If we do win an upgrade it will be at a very good price based on the current prices and what we originally paid. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mr walker said:

Well, I'll play along on the idea of us doing somehting as a group - tonight's Ozlotto jackpot is $5M & we have a ticket. Let's see what we win & then we can make a plan 🙂 

Sad news I'm afraid - no win!!! 😮

Will keep trying.......................................

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Ditto. We have standard cruise wardrobes which usually includes one of Rolf's dinner jackets. For cooler weather trips we add layers, hats, gloves.

Our standard luggage set is two medium-large spinners with two overnight bags that fit on top. For our recent Japan trip we added an extra slightly smaller spinner as we were expecting colder weather in Japan, which we didn't get until the last few days, plus we needed enough hot weather clothes for Bangkok where we didn't want to have to pay for laundry.

We've just bought another of the slightly smaller spinners at the sales. I'm hoping that will be enough but we have a few other bags we can use if needed. We will add a few extras of some items. Usually we take 8 days of clothes and put laundry in every second day but we'll probably increase that to 10 or 12 days. And, of course since Rolf now has two dinner jackets he'll be taking both. Luckily he's not a sale shopper so I don't have to worry about him adding to his dinner jacket collection. 🤣 My formal outfits are all silk kaftans and the whole lot together will take about half the space of one dinner jacket. 

When we had three weeks in the States (including a 7 day cruise) the two of us had 2 medium-large spinners and two smaller spinners (small enough for carry ons). When cruising for 10 days or so, we take the two medium-large spinners and a backpack each. Admittedly, we tend to cruise in warmer regions, but even then there is Darren's sports jacket and pants and my semi formal stuff, plus we also take a jacket of some description and jeans in case the weather turns chilly. I wouldn't like to try to jam anything else into our luggage, but realistically if necessary we do laundry. Probably too much information, but I wash undies in the bathroom nightly so they have plenty of time to dry should they take longer than overnight.🙂

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 12:24 PM, BuzzBuzzen said:

That price for 110 days, to a minisuite, would have my name on it. Cheers, Buzz.

This is the EXTRA price on top of your original booking

IMO - and as far as I am concerned  - "upgrade" isn't an upgrade unless it is out of your current category. eg Inside to Outside , Outside to Balcony, balcony to Suite , etc. The rest are just different Grades within your category. 

8 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

IMO - and as far as I am concerned  - "upgrade" isn't an upgrade unless it is out of your current category. eg Inside to Outside , Outside to Balcony, balcony to Suite , etc. The rest are just different Grades within your category. 

This is what the upgrade bids are about. Julie has booked a balcony cabin and is hoping for a mini suite. When we have received the email invitation to bid for an upgrade, there is an indication of the cost for each different type of cabin, e.g. balcony, premium balcony, mini suite, suite. They don't break it down to different 'grades' within each type of cabin.

Edited by Aus Traveller

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We normally only take two large and two carry on's, but for a world cruise full of elites, the free laundry can be a bit slow, returning, being overly cautious added extra, also don't like to wear clothes twice.😬

Then off cause Hil is an artist and needed to take all her painting gear, and a number of canvas's.

I believe we over did it with the warm stuff, as the weather in the artic reign turned out reasonably warm, and did not need it, even though we were up there for about 12 days in total.

But yes have to admit I can be a tad bit of an over packer, just a small tad mind you.😂

But the point is relax, if your home porting, pack what ever way you prefer, its no big deal.

Take what ever you like, no one counts your bags. There is no weight or cost restrictions.😁

Its better to take something you don't need, than not taking something you find you do need and having to buy another while away.

Its 110 days away, not a 14-21 day jaunt.😃

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Like 1

Even with Elite laundry taking 4 days you only need a few days worth but may choose to take more for variety. We tend to put laundry in every second day so, packing it up in the evening after showering and changing for dinner.

For example for daytime outfits:

Day 1 - 1st outfit worn, 

Day 2 - 2nd outfit worn, both sent laundry.

Day 3 - 3rd outfit worn

Day 4 - 4th outfit worn, more laundry sent.

Day 5 - 5th outfit worn

Day 6 - 6th outfit worn, more laundry sent, first lot returns.

Day 7 - 1st outfit worn again

And so on.

So theoretically you could get away with six changes but seven or eight would be safer as a minimum. 

However being a chonic overpacker I will be taking more! 🤣

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

I would not worry too much re luggage see extract from our last WC blog below:

B-Day (Boarding Day)

Well actually B-Day -1, we are frantically packing, and already it is obvious that Hils 1 large bag each was wildly optimistic. Current estimate is at least six bags is going to be the go.
Complicating this cruise is we need to pack for some cold weather as we travel through the arctic circle.
But I'm no innocent angle in the packing stakes, I'm being a little naughty, normally I only pack 14 days of everything, but just know the boat is going to be full of Elite level passengers like us, and the free washing is going to have long turn around times, so currently loading 21 days' worth of standard cruise clothes and 7 days of winter clothes for the artic bit. THAT's 28 days of clothes, gees I hope it fits in.

The day is wearing on and the frantic pace of packing has well passed on, the level now is hectic beyond belief.
Where this? where's that? is the major cry's going on around me, and I'm hoping I will survive the next few hours.

Oh my god, my packing usually lasts no more than 30 minutes, we have been going at it for hours and we're still not completed.

I'm folding and rolling, cramming, and squeezing, and I now have one suit case full. Just weighed it, 29kg, good grief, I never have more than 21kg, this is ridiculous. How can this be! And I still have heaps I need, repeat NEED to pack yet.

We have got down to the nitty gritties now, I have finished pack two more smaller bags.
For the sake of sanity, and my own wellbeing, I have been packing in the guest bedroom, while Hil uses our bedroom, just popped in to see how she is going. And ahm, in my own best interests, I will refrain from any comments, other than to say my earlier overly optimistic estimate of six bags has been seriously shattered.

We are now at least 7 most likely 8, umm what's that dear? Ohh umm ahh ok, make that 9 bloody bags…..

Ok, Ok dear no, their not all yours, (just most of them). 4.5 mdbw (my dearly beloved wife) 3.5 yours truly, and 1 general bits and pieces. And yes, That's Right, now 10 bags including carry on's.

We are officially now packed, we can now sit down, and enjoy a nice glass of wine, and a job well done.

Ahh what! still more to cram in!!! where!!! Yes dear stop grumbling or we'll never get finished!
Several little flurries of repacking later, not I have to admit, all mdbw, quite a bit of oh my god haven't I packed that from me as well.

But we are now off to bed, for a good night's sleep, well as good as you would expect with the excitement that we are off tomorrow, YAY

OMG. I don't I could fill four bags with all the clothes I own (motorcycle gear excluded).

Many times we've holidayed (4-6 weeks) or cruised with no more than one bag rarely exceeding 16kgs each.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

OMG. I don't I could fill four bags with all the clothes I own (motorcycle gear excluded).

Many times we've holidayed (4-6 weeks) or cruised with no more than one bag rarely exceeding 16kgs each.

Likewise, I think the heaviest we have been was actually returning from the USA in Business class with an extra bag full of bargains.

A lot depends on what type of clothes you wear, what size you are and a couple of other factors. I get annoyed with people who smugly post they can do two months in Europe with only a carry on. They are inevitably:

- small and slim people  (I'm a plus size)

- who are happy to wear mostly black clothing (I get too hot wearing black during the day)

- who wear synthetic fabrics (I prefer linen, cotton, or fabrics made from processed natural fibres like bamboo or rayon)

- who are happy to hand wash their outfits every.single.day or (even worse) don't wash them often enough.

- who never get tired of wearing the same thing.

• Like 2

I can do a month away in the US with 25kg of luggage, a domestic carry-on and a shoulder satchel for my docs & electronics. Barb needs close to 35kg, so there goes my spare space. Each time we come home and unpack, we have made a note of what doesn't get used/worn. After 3 strikes, we cull from our list. Apart from a basic medical & repair kit, we don't pack any "just in case" items.

For years, I swear Barb left stuff at home on purpose. We arrive on Hamilton Island to find she forgot to pack swimmers - new pair from the boutique. Arrive in Port Douglas to find she forgot her sunnies - new pair from an appropriately priced tourist trap.

For a Sydney to Sydney world cruise though, as long as you can get it to the baggage drop at the terminal, you can take whatever your heart desires. I know people that have driven a carload of luggage to OPT, then returned the car home and caught a train back empty handed, and the same in reverse upon return. All seems a bit Mrs Bucket to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not sure I could pack enough proper crackers for snacks, (the druiselines drackers are terrible) to get me all the way to England where I could resupply. Asia and the US/ Americas simply don't  sell them.

We did the 2023 world cruise on the Coral Princess. Because we didnt have any luggage restrictions (Syd to Syd), we took 2 large, 4 medium and 4 carryon size bags. 1 medium bag had our medicines and toiletries and 1 medium bag had our winter clothes. (which stayed under the bed till we reached Scotland) Note, did not take enough cold & flu tablets or cough medicine. No covid, but we both ended up with the Coral cough 🙂 Ended up restocking in Europe and the US. 

Laundry was taking 4-5 days for Elite, and the weather in Europe was really hot and humid, so glad I took extra summer clothes

I also wanted to have choice for such a long cruise, but could of taken less.

Our next trip is 9 weeks, but includes 3 flights, so will have to make do with 2 large bags and 2- 3 carryon.

The world cruise is amazing -enjoy every moment 🙂

Tanya

• Like 3

Hi Guys

I wonder how many who think extra bags on a WC are excessive, have actually done 3 1/2 month cruise.

A WC is in my opinion a different beast, you tend to become more a community, and the ship is more your home than just a cruise.

before I continue let me assure you, please don't think for a moment I've been offended by the comments, that's the best part of this forum is getting other thoughts on things. I'm cool ok.

Just to show you what 10 bags can be, this is a list of our last WC bags from above post:

3 large cases (2 Hils clothes; one mine)
1 smaller case (Winter clothes for both of us.)
2 carry on spinners (one with shoes for both of us; other with misc bits and pieces)
2 Princess rucksacks (Painting gear in one; small painting canvases in the other)
My good rucksack (my carry on’s and all our electronics: adaptors, computer, power adaptors, shaver, toothbrushes, chargers, spare batteries, Camera, etc)
Hils carry on.

Yep, not too hard to make up 10 pieces of luggage is it.

Normally we would do a medium cruise with 2 large + 2 carry on spinners, and my rucksack.

For some that's still a lot for them, great but that's their style, other like to take more, that's also great that's their style.

Some women like to have a selection of clothes, don't like to wear the same things several times a week to the dinning room.

If they can take it with them, what's the problem.😉

I know those that like to travel light, do it for a number of reasons, and can take some pride in doing it.

But we over-packers as we may be, however are happy doing our thing, and we're not inconveniencing anyone else.

Viva La Difference🥳

Regards

• Like 2