Sorbet Available On Board?

My son has a dairy allergy and we are debating between a cruise on Harmony of the Seas and a competitor line. In the past, he has enjoyed sorbet on the competitor and I'm hoping RCCL might have it available onboard. Anyone ever seen it?

Thanks!

dctravel

It used to be available in the MDR after dinner. But I don't know if they offer sorbet anymore. It would not surprise me if Royal Caribbean offers ice cream now, instead. 

The only place  I’ve seen sorbet is in the Coastal Kitchen (suite restaurant) . The dining room serves sherbet. 

I don’t know if the dining room serves any dairy, free, frozen desserts
good luck. 

Posted (edited)

It is never listed but I have regularly asked for sorbet in the past.

I do not have a dietary requirement (just a preference) so I am not sure if it is dairy free or not (sorbet or sherbet).

I would think dairy free would be available for those that require it.

Edited by c-leg5

Thank you all! If we end up booking this cruise (still working with our travel agent on pricing details), we will be sure to ask if it is available onboard and if it can be brought to the MDR.

I know it is a silly thing to ask about pre-cruise, but we want to make sure we understand comparability and manage expectations, as dessert can be the hardest part of a meal.

Before the new menus it always used to be available in the MDR although it was not listed on the menu. I asked on Serenade in Nov and was told no, only vanilla, strawberry and chocolate ice cream now. They also used to have it in Giovannis but I didn't try there (they did still have Pistachio ice cream there though so maybe).

Not a silly thing to ask at all, I nearly always get ice cream or sorbet for dessert and really missed all the choices they used to offer, I even mentioned it on my survey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

After inquiring about the various types served, I found that the Sorbet served is non dairy.  The Sherbet is dairy. There is also available, at times, oatmeal based non dairy ice cream.

My cruise last month had Pineapple something.  I am not sure if it was sorbet or sherbet.

Edited by Badatz2
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Badatz2 said:

After inquiring about the various types served, I found that the Sorbet served is non dairy.  The Sherbet is dairy.

That is the definition of those terms (no inquiring necessary 😁).

Hopefully, they are using the terms correctly.

Posted (edited)

On our Med cruise in July on Enchantment my DH who has a dairy allergy for dinner in the MDR was told by the waitstaff that sorbet was available for dessert.I do not reminder what flavors he had for the week.

Edited by CynBeth6
  • Like 1

I order sorbet every night. It is not on the menu but always available. The waitstaff typically do not know what flavor is being served each night and it does change. 

• Like 2

Hello,

In these times it is dangerous to say anything with any certainty. But my experience as recently as October is: Sorbet is not available from self serve machines on deck; it's not, or very rarely, to be found in the WJ but *might* be found in the backrooms if requested; it is available in the MDR but you need to be careful that the waiter serves what you ordered.

Regards,

Cublet

My suggestion is to reach out the special needs department before your trip and let them know you have non-dairy food requests.  The email is special_needs@rccl.com and make sure to include your ship, date, and reservation number with your request.  I have non-dairy kids and they were able to get almond milk most places on request.  They didn't have ice cream, so I'm not sure what options were available. RCCL was very helpful with special requests I had on a recent cruise.