Anyone know what this email from Royal Caribbean really means?

Friends just received an email from Royal asking them to turn up an hour later than their current check-in time on Friday because there will be extended immigration process from the previous cruise,   it's no big deal but she is just curious to know what extended immigration process actually means.  She asked me but I also have no clue.  Any ideas anyone?

Posted (edited)

Is the previous cruise coming from an area outside Australia/NZ/Pacific Islands? If it is trans-Pacific and maybe even a cruise from Asia, immigration could take longer than for a usual Australian cruise.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Is the previous cruise coming from an area outside Australia/NZ/Pacific Islands? If it is trans-Pacific and maybe even a cruise from Asia, immigration could take longer than for a usual Australian cruise.

No, the current cruise is just the usual island cruise to Noumea etc,

I think it simply means a later arrival. Their original schedule had them cruising back from Isle of Pines, but the revised itinerary has the final port as Lifou - an extra couple of hundred nautical miles. Rather than burn the extra fuel, I think they would rather arrive fashionably late, knowing they still have enough time in port to get everyone loaded for the following cruise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ddvgww said:

Friends just received an email from Royal asking them to turn up an hour later than their current check-in time on Friday because there will be extended immigration process from the previous cruise,   it's no big deal but she is just curious to know what extended immigration process actually means.  She asked me but I also have no clue.  Any ideas anyone?

Nothing sinister but this has happened on a few cruises this season. The ship still arrives at the same time as the itinerary hasn't changed but immigration is doing a face check with passports on each person arriving back. This just extends the process. We were told last time due to the overnight in Vila. No idea why that makes a difference but coincidentally or not this cruise also has the Vila overnight. 

• Like 2

I think our Home Affairs minister is trying to show that she is in control of the borders, so stepping up immigration checks on a soft target - cruise ships

8 hours ago, yarramar said:

I think our Home Affairs minister is trying to show that she is in control of the borders, so stepping up immigration checks on a soft target - cruise ships

It happens for every passenger that goes through customs in our international airports. Nice to know that they look at cruise passenger passports properly once in a while. They do most of their screening behind the scenes via the passenger manifest, but they do need to look the part once in a while.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 7:36 AM, MicCanberra said:

Overnighting in Vila, they may be looking for the dreaded Pine beetles.

You are close there Mick. The reason ABF  are doing face to face for this cruise is because the ship overnighted in Vila. Apparently there is a rule that any ship doing an Aust/ Aust cruise and overnights in a foreign port is subject to face to face upon its return to Oz.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

You are close there Mick. The reason ABF  are doing face to face for this cruise is because the ship overnighted in Vila. Apparently there is a rule that any ship doing an Aust/ Aust cruise and overnights in a foreign port is subject to face to face upon its return to Oz.

Well Beetlemania it is not then.

8 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

No….and all the extra time for face to face at debark will not Please Please Me.

I hope it isn't delayed so much that it becomes a Hard Days Night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I hope it isn't delayed so much that it becomes a Hard Days Night.

Not much we can do , just have to Let It Be when all those passengers Come Together at ABF .At least this does not happen Eight Days a Week….Its just another Day In The  Life of shoreside management. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, gbenjo said:

Not much we can do , just have to Let It Be when all those passengers Come Together at ABF .At least this does not happen Eight Days a Week….Its just another Day In The  Life of shoreside management. 

Now there's a thought to help congestion at OPT - an 8 day week.

13 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Now there's a thought to help congestion at OPT - an 8 day week.

Yes ..but we would need more Help……not all would pay for it though…..🤔perhaps Norwegian Wood.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

Yes ..but we would need more Help……not all would pay for it though…..🤔perhaps Norwegian Wood.

Just for one of their ships - Here Comes the Sun. Just needs someone to Twist & Shout for lots more Money (that's what they want).

• Haha 1

You're up bright and early for Aus - here comes the sun ☀ 

Oops, sorry, it's been used already - short term memory loss, hehe 😂

Edited by Jean C
  • Haha 2