The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday, January 10th, 2024

kazu

Dear Daily-ites,

I am remiss in not updating you sooner but it has been a crazy last few months. And, in December, I knew I needed -- plus I also wanted you --  to focus on holiday joys. 

So, here's my post-holiday update:

The very end of September, my DH developed congestive heart failure and went into Afib plus suffered a heart attack just as we reached Emergency. Thank heavens I called our hospital's ASK A NURSE when his distress worsened as DH wanted to “...call the doctor tomorrow.”

It was touch-and-go for a number of days, but he rallied enough to be discharged to rehabilitation and came home in late October. DH’s schedule of medical tests and doctor’s appointments have occupied our days since.

We continue in outpatient physical therapy plus at-home exercises to strengthen DH with the goal of keeping him in our home as long as DH’s medical needs and increasing dementia allow. As many of you know, that is a day-to-day balancing act.

I think of all of you often. I read The Daily as life allows. Admittedly, I often read of your joys and sorrows much later than you have posted them. But, I pray for you and I celebrate with you -- albeit often belatedly.

A BHB voyage is not in the picture for us. But, I continue to dream of the day that I will cruise again. In the meantime, your daily destination posts and pictures plus the various BHB cruise threads take me to far-flung places! Thanks for all of your interesting posts. 

Thank you also for the many prayers you have offered and continue to offer for us. I promise to drop in to The Daily from time to time. And, I look forward to the day I can meet you each in-person on a BHB.

Happy 2024 to you all,

-Melisa 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 27

13 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Dear Daily-ites,

I am remiss in not updating you sooner but it has been a crazy last few months. And, in December, I knew I needed -- plus I also wanted you --  to focus on holiday joys. 

The very end of September, my DH developed congestive heart failure and went into Afib plus suffered a heart attack just as we reached Emergency. Thank heavens I called our hospital's ASK A NURSE when his distress worsened as DH wanted to “...call the doctor tomorrow.”

It was touch-and-go for a number of days, but he rallied enough to be discharged to rehabilitation and came home in late October. DH’s schedule of medical tests and doctor’s appointments have occupied our days since.

We continue in outpatient physical therapy plus at-home exercises to strengthen DH with the goal of keeping him in our home as long as DH’s medical needs and increasing dementia allow. As many of you know, that is a day-to-day balancing act.

I think of all of you often. I read The Daily as life allows. Admittedly, I often read of your joys and sorrows much later than you have posted them. But, I pray for you and I celebrate with you -- albeit often belatedly.

A BHB voyage is not in the picture for us. But, I continue to dream of the day that I will cruise again. In the meantime, your daily destination posts and pictures plus the various BHB cruise threads take me to far-flung places! Thanks for all of your interesting posts. 

Thank you also for the many prayers you have offered and continue to offer for us. I promise to drop in to The Daily from time to time. And, I look forward to the day I can meet you each in-person on a BHB.

Happy 2024 to you all,

-Melisa 

Nice hearing from you.🙏

• Like 16

16 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Dear Daily-ites,

Happy 2024 to you all,

-Melisa 

Melissa, praying 2024 is good to you. 

• Like 18

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@kazu, Jacqui, I am sorry about your fall and hope the recovery is swift. I also took a spill with the slushy mess while dog walking but appear to be fine. I try to be so careful and I am sure you do the same thing but gravity defies us.

Oh gee, Terry - I sure hope you are ok 🙏. This time of year is so tricky.

34 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Old man winter is definitely in the neighbourhood, we have minus 40 windchills in the next  few days, arghh, and a true minus 39 !  Arghh! 
image.thumb.png.f2ed3ec3bc16d76d5949d952a0d85341.png

Brrr - that is too cold - risky for man and beast.  I won’t walk my dogs in that even with coats.

28 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Dear Daily-ites,

Happy 2024 to you all,

-Melisa 

Thank you for updating us, Melissa.  So sorry for the difficulties you are going through.  My prayers remain with you 🙏. And bless you for helping your DH stay in his home as long as possible ♥️ 

Power went out a while ago.  Thankfully, my generator is running 👍 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

We are enjoying our day onboard. Booked a 2025 62 day triple back to back from Miami and back. South America, Rio at Carnival and down to Antartica and back. Played a casual game of triple. Came in 3rd. There were three teams.

Officers BBQ they serve and do some prep

at pool deck at 12:30. Won’t eat much as we are dining at Chefs Table tonight with Italian menu.

Sail Away 3:00 PM with the ships orchestra entertaining and tonight is Elton John tribute which we may miss due to Chefs dinner.

Power walked for a couple of miles but it was very hot and humid.

Enjoy the rest of your day. B.

image.thumb.jpeg.5ceac2832842b76fff75aa8f345033c9.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

We are enjoying our day onboard. Booked a 2025 62 day triple back to back from Miami and back. South America, Rio at Carnival and down to Antartica and back. Played a casual game of triple. Came in 3rd. There were three teams.

at pool deck at 12:30. Won’t eat much as we are dining at Chefs Table tonight with Italian menu.

Sail Away 3:00 PM with the ships orchestra entertaining and tonight is Elton John tribute which we may miss due to Chefs dinner.

image.thumb.jpeg.5ceac2832842b76fff75aa8f345033c9.jpeg

Congrats on the new booking 👍. It sound lovely. 🙂 

Squid?  YUM, YUM, YUM.  

28 minutes ago, highscar said:

@kazumy interpretation of todays weather is crapy, etc.  when stoped at a red light this morning the wind was rocking the car. 

Crappy is a nicer word than my meme used or I would, honestly.   Today’s wind would rock my SUV too and it’s a heavy one for DD DH when he used to travel to work.  Glad you are ok.  I’m gutless - I’m not going anywhere.   What a mess my driveway and back (outside for Ivan) is. 😔 

• Like 16

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  
@kazu yikes!  So glad it’s not broken,  holping you have a quick recovery.   That ice is no joke! 

I happily celebrate house plants,  

image.thumb.jpeg.de89dc65483d13ebea7b7d2ebe948d22.jpeg

Old man winter is definitely in the neighbourhood, we have minus 40 windchills in the next  few days, arghh, and a true minus 39 !  Arghh! 

Lovely house plants.

🥶brrr for those cold temperatures.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Dear Daily-ites,

Happy 2024 to you all,

-Melisa 

Melissa, thank you for letting us know what is happening with you.  You have a heavy burden and if our caring and virtual hugs help with the lift of that burden, I am glad.  We all think of you often and know we are here if you need someone to listen.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Power went out a while ago.  Thankfully, my generator is running 👍 

Oh, no!  What next?

We got another upsell offer for Hawaii.  This time it was $249 pp to go from ocean view to balcony, so we took it.  Of course, that meant I had to order some wine to sip out on my balcony!  It is a spa balcony, but I'm not sure the amenities are of any use to us.  

• Like 24

2 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Sending you the biggest Hug.  Praying 🙏🏻 that the days ahead keep you healthy and strong to help you through this challenge.  Savor every day with your DH.  And just take it a day at a time. And stop in when you need reassurance.  Remember we are all sending prayers and hugs.

take care

• Like 17

Just now, dfish said:

We got another upsell offer for Hawaii.  This time it was $249 pp to go from ocean view to balcony, so we took it.  Of course, that meant I had to order some wine to sip out on my balcony!  It is a spa balcony, but I'm not sure the amenities are of any use to us.  

Woo hoo!  That’s a great deal IMO 🙂. So happy for you 😄

• Like 15

Does the phrase “a three-hour tour” ring a bell? It’s from the Gilligan’s Island theme.

My tour today was supposed to be three hours but lasted five and a half: delayed start because an MSC ship was docking next to us,  waits at every stop because of congestion, you name it. And most of it was boring. (Remember that it wasn’t my original choice.)

IMG_0054.jpeg.2fbdcef9c3bbaee56b0cd7991d21eb29.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  
@kazu yikes!  So glad it’s not broken,  holping you have a quick recovery.   That ice is no joke! 

I happily celebrate house plants,  

image.thumb.jpeg.de89dc65483d13ebea7b7d2ebe948d22.jpeg

Beautiful house plants, Brenda.  Stay safe and warm.

3 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Dear Daily-ites,

Happy 2024 to you all,

-Melisa 

Melisa, thank you for letting us know what has been happening.  I wish there was more that we could, but glad that knowing we are here and willing to help plus keeping you and your DH in our thoughts helps you.  ((((((HUGS))))))

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Bruce, congratulations on the new cruise for next year.  It sounds like you are having a wonderful cruise.

50 minutes ago, dfish said:

Melissa, thank you for letting us know what is happening with you.  You have a heavy burden and if our caring and virtual hugs help with the lift of that burden, I am glad.  We all think of you often and know we are here if you need someone to listen.

Oh, no!  What next?

Debbie, congratulations on a great upsell offer.  You'll enjoy the balcony.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Happy Wednesday!  The meal sounds good today, haven't been to the port, i made chocolate chip cookies yesterday with semi sweet chips.  As for house plants, I took some clippings from my basil plant and started them inside, they're growing, but not very fast.  

@kazuhope you heal quickly, and your arm doesn't hurt too bad.  Good thing you have a generator.  People in our area did also lost power last night.  Your map of Canada weather doesn't look fun!

@HAL SailerPrayers that 2024 is better for you.

We had about 3 inches of snow yesterday, with lots of wind.  Many branches down this morning.  More snow over the next few days, maybe 10 inches total...not looking forward to that!  Thanks for all of the caring and sharing here.  Karen

• Like 19

2 hours ago, dfish said:

...We got another upsell offer for Hawaii.  This time it was $249 pp to go from ocean view to balcony, so we took it.  Of course, that meant I had to order some wine to sip out on my balcony!  It is a spa balcony, but I'm not sure the amenities are of any use to us.  

Congrats on the spa balcony - I would have taken it, too, for that price.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 16

Wow, has today gone quickly.  Just realised that at 10.30 pm today I was in danger of missing a daily post, so,

Good evening from Cork.

Today was a better day on the weather front and should not get any worse until Sunday!  

Thanks everyone for the updates and posts.  

Hugs to those that need them, and two hugs for those that think they don't need them,

Hope you are having a great day!

• Like 21

55 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Congrats on the spa balcony - I would have taken it, too, for that price.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

Thanks!  We will have a great time.  We would have had a great time if we had stuck with our inside cabin on Deck 10.  Or if we'd stuck with the Ocean View cabin on Deck 1.  We're happy to be back on Deck 10 and planning to make the most of this trip.  I'm sure it will be fabulous!

Storm predictions for the weekend look worse as time goes on.  Tomorrow we'll hit the grocery store and stock up on perishables - vegetables - to get us through the weekend.  Next week is the polar vortex.  So, Hawaii will be fabulous even if it rains all day every day.

• Like 19